Dr. George, Dr. Rex, Dr. George 06/20 Update

Bill_S

I went back to the drawing board on the ammo chutes. A little artistic license is involved; one disadvantage of the tub style cockpit module is that it significantly shrinks available side-to-side space.

DSCN08771_zpspiu2dgpq.jpg

Version 2.0 is much simpler than the first attempt. It fits, and it also provides some surface area for eventual attachment of the instrument panel. 

DSCN08781_zpsuqewqg7p.jpg

As yet, they're still about 0.020" (.5 mm) too thick; I'll give the glue a few more hours to dry before sanding them down. N1K2-J pit is in the middle. Next for these bad boys will be a coat of primer.

DSCN08791_zps9azunbdd.jpg

Seats still need pulleys and bungee cords.

I still have work on the sidewalls to do, as well as finishing up the port side consoles.

To date there has been nothing in the Revell cockpit that I have deemed usable. I thought maybe I might be able to use to control column...

DSCN08811_zpskxq0zo1d.jpg

From what I can tell, there was no difference between the N1K1 and N1K2. Hasegawa on the left, Revell on the right.

It's such fun drilling a centered hole into the end of a plastic rod. I'm getting a bit of practice, though.

DSCN08831_zps5bmcigcq.jpg

DSCN08841_zpsmw9rcopt.jpg

DSCN08971_zpsxxhfje12.jpg

The hard part is done!

While I was drilling, I thought I'd knock off the tail wheel for the N1K1. The detail on the kit part is pretty poor. I substituted copper tube for plastic on the support strut.

DSCN08871_zpspllkoaof.jpg

There's a plastic ring CA'd at the top of the copper tube; the tube swivels in the housing.

Holes in the wheel yoke...

DSCN08901_zps3emekiqz.jpg

DSCN08921_zpsjrl5wyfm.jpg

DSCN08941_zpskiyddsba.jpg

A little cleanup, and I'll be able to cement the fuselage halves and rescribe!

Edited by Bill_S

Very nice work, Bill! You're a man after my own heart.

Kev

Many thanks, Kevin! I'm trying to update this build on a regular basis, so I don't lose momentum. In case you haven't noticed, I skip around a bit, too...

• 2 weeks later...

Has it really been ten days since my last update? I've not been completely idle...

DSCN09001_zpstp20u51n.jpg

Some color on the cockpits; a pin wash is next, then a flat coat - and I'll be able to add the floor mounted consoles.

I've also been doing some work on the engines.

DSCN08991_zpskngj2nn5.jpg

The crossover tubes (in black) are from the Brengun PE set. All spark plug holes are drilled, too. LOTS of tiny holes.

Ignition harness for the Hasegawa kit. I drilled 0.010" (.25 mm) holes in the ends of the lugs.

DSCN09011_zpsedwjozdn.jpg

The Revell kits don't have nearly the detail of the Hasegawa kit. In the case of the Rex, most of it is well hidden by the prop spinner.

DSCN09021_zps3wrdhqji.jpg

I've started to drill into the edge for plug wires.

More soon!

It doesn't look like much, but it was a lot of work. Wrapping wire...

DSCN09051_zpshbm2rrwr.jpg

The red is wire insulation cut to length.

DSCN09081_zpspt5xvtq0.jpg

Mid-wing George

And the Rex:

DSCN09071_zpso04yzbzj.jpg

Some touch-up and dry brushing once I get the wires cut to length and installed... Not too bad for a 70's vintage kit. Nowhere near the detail of the Hasegawa, though.

For the N1K2, I thought I'd try something new...

DSCN09091_zpsfsmmgeyx.jpg

A first cut; I'll have to play with it a little. That's copper de-soldering braid.

Cockpits are coming along, too. Lots of tiny detail still to add to the port side consoles...

DSCN09101_zpszfex3bmo.jpg

Edited by Bill_S

• 1 month later...

Work continues, but at my usual slow pace. Engines are all wired...

Hasegawa N1K2

DSCN09201_zpsjvrsjxke.jpg

Revell N1k1-J

DSCN09211_zpsiynl8tlv.jpg

N1K Rex

DSCN09221_zpsivvtlpdk.jpg

I cut out the back of the intakes and installed mesh.

Revell N1K1-J primed, and ready for scribing

DSCN09191_zpsv5bhlhjk.jpg

Hasegawa N1K2

DSCN09181_zps115cgy7h.jpg

Revell N1K1 IP, I used Airscale bezels on this one. It's close to getting a coat of black.

DSCN09171_zps5ypy5uzh.jpg

I can't wait to get these cockpits finished!

Fantastic work, Bill! I'm seriously impressed.

Kev

Thanks, Kevin. I've been putting off cockpit work. It's painstaking work, and once done I'll be that much closer to my Achilles heel - overall painting!

A very short update tonight.

I own a high speed precision drill press. It has an x-y table with 0.01 mm resolution in each direction. It comes in very handy for IP blanks. I use my CAD drawing to determine hole locations, then drill the appropriate holes in a rectangular styrene blank. Next step is to print out an actual size drawing. I use white glue to temporarily attach the paper to the drilled IP blank, usine the holes for alignment. It's then fairly straightforward to trim the IP to its final shape.

Tonight, though I used the drill press for something different. I sprayed Tamiya primer on a small piece of 0.01" clear styrene, and taped it to the top of the machinist's vise (paint side up). I mounted a very sharp scriber in the press, and proceeded to scribe lines through the primer and into the plastic.

DSCN09281_zpsl5enjpx8.jpg

The long lines are 0.06" (1.5mm) apart. It's difficult to see in the photo, but there are a series of lines running perpendicular to those at .25 mm intervals.

The primer was then sanded off the back, and black laid down into the grooves (Tamiya x-18)

DSCN09301_zpsf8magvci.jpg

Once dry, I overcoated with MM white enamel. Then masked the finish side with a very small piece of Tamiya tape. Trimmed the thing to size, then painted the top.

DSCN09361_zpsaciy5lmr.jpg

Just a tiny detail to go on the IP...