1/48 Eduard F4B Phantom;UPDATE 9/13/15 PROGRESS

Guest Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

UPDATE: 9/3/15: THE FRONT OFFICE

With the Viper completed and wanting a 'scale' break before starting my next 32nd scale project, I was egar to tackle the Eduard's F4B Phantom, Good Morning Da Nang; after all you just can never have enough Phantoms. Projects normally start with the front office and the F4 was no exception. Normally I never read the instructions in advance, make notes and label the individual frets but after discussing kit organization and familiarity with my good friend John Smith, I read and noted what goes where and how the parts should assemble. The Eduard kit is mainly an upgrade of the excellent Academy kit with a lot of PE and Brassin resin parts.

The front office, utilizes the Academy tub and front wheel well assembly but disregards the balance of the injected molded parts, substituting a zillion and one PE parts in their place. Eduard's Origami IP's were a true test of bending, folding and gluing everything together and then gently adding them to the tub. A major improvement for sure but there was still an issue of the naked side walls, the side consoles for the most part are flat as a pancake, lacking throttles and the the feel of rows of switches, nobs and dials. Completely forgetting my original POA, I ordered the Aires front office and when it arrived, it looked mighty good. Fitting it into place would require some delicate surgery, slicing and dicing, both of which I had no intensions of doing. Then a brilliant idea (or so I thought), why not combine everything into one cockpit, taking the best of Academy, Eduard and Aires and using what I could, as long as I avoided any kit surgery. So that was the plan and now, nearly done – not 100% accurate by any means but busy enough for sure. Of course shoehorning the assembly into place without mauling the fuselage will be a test of will and hopefully, Lady Luck being on my side.

The Martin Baker MK-H7 ejection seats fit like a glove and of course aren't the Academy, Eduard Brassin or Aires seats. I have a nice collection of F4 ejection seats in both 32nd & 48th scale and who knows decided to use if memory serves me correctly, a Quickboost set.

Next up:

Installing the front office into the fuselage, adding seamless intakes and adding the big wing.

Thanks for checking in

Peter

untitled_zpsqmmc3jpg.jpg

untitled-2_zps2mgn3w9f.jpg

untitled-3_zpsir3di5jj.jpg

untitled-4_zps06le2fyo.jpg

untitled-6_zpsntnjg5hk.jpg

Edited by Peterpools

Hey Peter,

Always good to see another Phantom paint detail looks great!

I have to ask about the right side wall panel for the fwd cockpit.

Why is it essentially the same as the aft right side panel; it should not be. :hmmm:

Barry

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Kev

Very much appreciated, as this is my first time in decades adding resin to a 48th scale kit ... just trying to make it look good.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Jim

I know what you mean as Eduard's colors are not exactly on the mark. I've just been playing arounf with the front offcie and taking a lot of liberties I would never do in 32nd scale.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Matt

Just trying to get my sealegs and the feel for the kit. Si far, I wouod have to say it's a very good kit but I sure wish, the Aires font offcie would have been a better fir so I could have just substituted it. Glad you will be along for the ride

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Harv

Just a break to keep the juices fresh. The seatblets started out as a gray/blue mix and them a few light washes and the final color looked about right.

Peter