Trumpy A-6E TRAM Intruder - "Raygun 501"

DoogsATX

Guest Peterpools

Matt

Nice start on the Intruder. We have one on display at the gGumman Memorial Park in Calverton and indeed, she is a lot bigger then you would think.

Keep 'e, coming

Peter

Matt

Nice start on the Intruder. We have one on display at the gGumman Memorial Park in Calverton and indeed, she is a lot bigger then you would think.

Keep 'e, coming

Peter

Yeah I've seen several in person, most recently at the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola. They're not small! Got some good reference pics for the cockpit, wing folds and other areas.

Nothing like building engines that will never be seen! Fortunately knowing that means I can just skip all the detail and focus on the structural elements (needed to get the exhaust out the back). They're big suckers, too!

IMG_20150406_011252-X3.jpg

Most of last night was spent mucking with internal elements. There's a lot of bracing work inside the fuselage that has to be seen to. The cockpit and arrestor hook hollow both span the fuselage halves, and while it's too early to do anything with the cockpit, I got the arrestor hollow glued down to one of the halves. Also got the brake bays installed (the fit on the brakes themselves is phenomenal, so phenomenal I have to figure out how to glue them down without making a mess of things). There's also a massive subassembly that forms the nosegear bay as well as the central belly of the aircraft. This has a large piece that glues onto it that locates it between the fuselage halves - and there are still more elements that have to be glued into the halves to do said locating. 

It's tedious work, especially having to shave little flash seams off of every single piece, but it will result in one hell of a beefy airframe I think. 

On the outside, I got the stabilators and rudder together. Fit is solid all around, though the starboard stab has a habit of popping out at the front without steady pressure. Not sure if I'll muck with it or just let the cement do the job when the time comes. 

Either way, with the control surfaces fitted, the tail of the beast suddenly becomes large and rather heavy. I have no idea how much weight it's going to take to make this one sit on its nose. Good thing that it's got metal landing gear and lots of space to stuff lead sinkers.

IMG_20150406_011140-X3.jpg

Got the Intruder's seats yesterday. True Details GRU-7s. I ordered these with crossed fingers - True Details stuff can be kind of inconsistent I feel - but these seats are the business. The different placement of the lap belts, the fabric texture on the cushions...love it! Can't wait to get to painting these lovelies.

Trumpeter%20A-6E%20Intruder%2004-06-15-2

Those are indeed the doggies danglies.  Looks terrific, and should look outstanding under some paint!

I assume with the differently posed lap belts these were purchased as as set?

Edited by Out2gtcha

• 2 weeks later...
Back from NY, back to the bench. Some more good progress on the Intruder.

Got the inner wing halves glued together - they slot into the fuselage rather nicely, but some cleanup's definitely needed to make that the case. Trumpeter has what seems like a great kit on their hands here, but there's microflash in the form of tiny flash seams on EVERY FRIGGIN' PART. My #10 blade is getting a lot of use.

IMG_20150420_230902-X3.jpg

Also got the outer pylon/inner wingfolds together. They plug right into the end of the wings - masking is going to be annoying between the white and gray, but the part is nice and beefy.

IMG_20150421_005642-X3.jpg

I've got the Eduard exterior set for the -6A - using bits of it here and there, including dressing up the bottom of the outer pylon. This will in all likelihood be invisible, but maybe not. Certainly looks better than a big expanse of plastic.

IMG_20150421_010143-X3.jpg

Got the True Details seats removed from their pour stubs last night. This was, IMO, the biggest downside with these seats - most other seats I deal with have the stub somewhat inset making it really easy to cut away. Not so with these seats. I ended up havin got cut within 1-2mm, and then shave the rest of the stub away with a razor. Ultimately, they fit nicely and definitely capture the pilot's seat slightly above and forward of the bombardier's seat. 

IMG_20150421_010054-X3.jpg

The thing, in a word, massive. I should stock up on gray paint.

IMG_20150421_010343-X3.jpg

Guest Peterpools

Matt

Awesome progress on the TRAM ... looking mighty good. I'll be ordering a set of the Eduard A6A PE for the useful details ... thanks for the tip

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Rockeyes are together and ready to start paintwork. Now I need to get the MERs built. And hopefully the Mk.83s show up soon, it'd be great to tackle the armament in one go.

IMG_20150422_002210-X3.jpg

Fitting the Rockeyes together took most of the night, but I also got more cockpit prep done. Need to do some scratch detailing here and there first. Major focus areas of the scratch effort will be a throttle, miscellaneous "busy" wiring, and enhancing a some of the buttons on the consoles and IP.

IMG_20150422_074549-X3.jpg