New Halfords Matt Lacquer!

SeaVenom

I posted this on Britmodeller too (though not sure it's available outside of the UK)...............

Don't know if anyone else has seen this yet but I got some and it seems to be fairly good.   Like many people no doubt I've been frustrated with most so called "matt" lacquers which aren't matt at all and have patchy awful finishes but this stuff seems to be pretty good and it's totally simple to use.

It's not dead flat which is what I really want but it's still a very nice pretty matt finish.  It seems also to be able to be sprayed over many different paint surfaces too.  What it's like long term I don't know and whether there might be some sort of paint reaction down the line but at the moment it seems like a good idea if you want a neat looking fairly matt finish.  

It is a bit more expensive than the other Halfords paints though but I'd recommend trying it..

".....   I'm fed up of telling people, we don't stock those 'cos there is no demand! Sheesh, you're the 14th person today! Why don't you lot listen?!"

I actually heard this in a model shop once upon a time, but maybe it applies here too!!

Tim

PS Which shop, you ask? Oh, it has long gone now. I wonder why?

Not sure about the Halfords formulation , but I use this 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vallejo-500ml-Matt-Liquid-Varnish/dp/B002Z8N1KQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1421076621&sr=1-1&keywords=Vallejo+500ml+Matt+Liquid+Varnish+%23+518

Mixed with some screen wash , a little water, and a drop or two of retarder, sprays beautifully , and it DEAD flat  - just make sure there are no fingerprint or dirt on the finish before spraying 

Not sure about the Halfords formulation , but I use this 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vallejo-500ml-Matt-Liquid-Varnish/dp/B002Z8N1KQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1421076621&sr=1-1&keywords=Vallejo+500ml+Matt+Liquid+Varnish+%23+518

Mixed with some screen wash , a little water, and a drop or two of retarder, sprays beautifully , and it DEAD flat  - just make sure there are no fingerprint or dirt on the finish before spraying 

Mixed with screen wash????   What on earth made you try putting than in the mix?

I've been using it for years , its essentially IPA with some detergent , dual benefit of thinning the Acrylic, and breaking any surface tension .. works a treat!

Question is though........will that yellow over time?   The Halfords spray looks like it won't (hopefully anyway).

• 5 months later...

What a waste of good beer!

TOO subtle Jennings....................then again :hmmm:

My thoughts entirely, your giving your age away sir!   :innocent:

Mmmm, yes, YOU are Roy,  :whistle: then again, so am I....... :wicked:

Paul, (raised a stones throw from the ORIGINAL home of IPA :crying: NOW owned by Coors?? Gawd help us!!)

TOO subtle Jennings....................then again :hmmm:

Mmmm, yes, YOU are Roy,  :whistle: then again, so am I....... :wicked:

Paul, (raised a stones throw from the ORIGINAL home of IPA :crying: NOW owned by Coors?? Gawd help us!!)

Many bottles of IPA were sacrificed in my youth for the good of the greater cause! :beer4:

Derek

Edited by Derek B