HK B-17...C 5/4 sweating the metal

brahman104

Hi Terry!

Thanks mate, yes the new printer is pretty darn good. When I compared the surface finish on printed pieces between the two there really wasn't much comparison. The new one is a lot sharper in its detail; with the old one you could see and feel the print lines on the surface. With the new one you can see them but you can't really feel them with your finger nail, which tells me they should paint up pretty well.

To clarify, the IP itself wasn't printed. That's good old fashioned styrene work there. I did have a mind to do so but if this one comes out okay I'm going to run with it. The new cockpit base came out pretty good.... I will post some photos when I get home, but needless to say for such a complex shape I am very impressed 😊 More to follow soon!

Cheers, craig

Hi Somebody,

Thanks for taking the time to check in on my build Please don't think what I am doing here is anything special; I would suggest I am an average modeller at best. I am leaning heavily on new technology here and using this build to more or less showcase what can be done, even by someone stumbling blindly through it like myself :) I guess the biggest thing I can say is don't be afraid to give things a go or post your work here.... I learn more out of my failures than I do my successes, so I hope that others might be able to learn from a few of mine for free!

At the end of the day it's all about fun and it's only a hobby!

Cheers,

Craig

Ernie, Harv,

Thanks as always for your interest and comments! I'm still seeing what I can do with the printer, but I'm always looking to improve my modelling skills too, and certain these forums are full of talented people only too happy to share their knowledge. That's why i joined!

Craig

Wow! Just saw this build - this is almost as insane as Tom Probert's 1/32nd scale Shackleton (and I mean that as a compliment). 3-D printing is something I'd love to get into (I'm already into 3-D graphics in a big way), so it'll be great to see how that part of it works out for you.

Best Regards,

Jason

Hi Rocky,

It depends on what you're hoping to achieve if you got one really. I bought mine primarily for modelling, but it can't replace injection moulded and resin pieces one for one. I use it as a tool to give me a shove in the right direction, then good old fashioned modelling still comes in after that.

Having said that, since getting it I've found countless other uses for it: brackets, support blocks, even parts for my motorbike and bits for the old man's pool pump..... The possibilities are quite literally endless once you start thinking about it. I feel it's money well spent, but you also don't have to go top of the range either.... There's plenty of low end models out there that will do just fine, just remember that none of them are perfect, they all can be finicky and results DO vary. But if you are thinking about it, get a cheap one first and have a play or see if you can find a shop that sells them and go talk to them....

You'll be glad you did. Failing that feel free to re-read this thread for my experiences and if you have any questions feel free to ask

Cheers,

Craig

Hi Jason,

Thanks for dropping in and having a look. Unfortunately I'm away at the moment, but hopefully I can post some pics soon. If you are thinking about getting into 3D printing I'd say go for it.... Especially if you already do a lot of CAD style work anyway. You don't have to be smart or clever to use these things (hence my using them ) and for a project such as this they are an absolute life saver. Yes you can do it the ways of artists like Tommy P, but I'm no where near that good.... The technology is there, might as well embrace it!

Cheers,

Craig

Craig, as soon as my writing career (hopefully) takes off, I plan on using some of the money on getting a good 3-D printer. I've done some 3-D sci-fi objects it would be nice to print out. To me the possibilities are endless, and a way to tie together my love of 3-D art with actual modelling. I've always felt the two were conceptually related anyway, in that to create either a physical model or a 3-D graphics model, you take a bunch of shapes and put them together to create a new object.

Regards,

Jason

Okay, so I'm back from my latest foray to the great south, doing a bit of sightseeing in the company car along the way..... :)

IMG_1889_zpscf6fbhna.jpg

Now that's over, I should hopefully be home for a while now, with much progress to be had ( with the imminent release of the E/F, I need to get this one rolling along!)

So last update I said I had drawn up a new cockpit "tub" and I was challenging my printer to see what it could do. So anyway, this is the result.....

IMG_1973_zpsoxsyjljb.jpg

So it's probably a little difficult to imagine what you're looking at, so here's a comparison with the existing cockpit floor. 

IMG_1969_zpslr0l8jaf.jpg

IMG_1971_zps6dii1zom.jpg

Due to the plastic being white, it's a bit hard to tell what the quality is like in these pics, but overall I'm pretty impressed that the part could be printed as a single piece. Bear in mind there is a considerable amount of support structure that needs to be removed, and there is some clean up and filling that I will need to do, but it does give a nice, solid start point for the detailing process to bring it up to what the old one looked like.

The best part is that once it's cleaned up, it was a drop fit in to the new nose section... This is where this process saves a lot of time, as all the pieces are created from the original nose I drew, they all fit together :)

IMG_1976_zpsr2hjtve2.jpg

IMG_1977_zpssmsid7sz.jpg

Tonight I started painting my IP, so hopefully I'll have some photos of that to show you soon :)

Cheers,

Craig

I can remember back in the mid sixties, there was an article about converting a Lindberg 1/64 B-17G into a B-17D.

Basically, cut off the tail gun wedge, cut he fuselage at Bulkhead #6 and rotate 180 degrees.

Hit the scrapbox --- stick the aft section of a drop tank on the fuselage end, scrap wings to make the fin/rudder and stab/elevators, a drop tank for the bellygun tub and a small bubble canopy for the observation dome.

Oh yeah, throw in a whole lot of Testors Modeling Putty!

Voila! You have a B-17D --- at least a cartoon B-17D!

Hahahahahaha!

Oh my goodness, that must have been a sight! Somewhat agricultural by today's standards (not necessarily mine) but a very clever example of early kit bashing. I wonder if there are any photos of one around the place?

Well, I'm calling the IP done! I've never been very good at painting/weathering, so I thought I'd have a bit of a crack at it this time. Given how long the early forts lasted once the shooting started, I'm not sure how much weathering to go with, although I have seen some photos of a rather beaten up D model (I believe the swoose). In any case, I'm going with a liberal amount of artistic licence on this build, so I applied a light dusting to the panel. Lots of little air scale decals later and here she is :)

IMG_1981%202_zpscf3nvkgl.jpg

Whilst it has nothing on the likes of Peter's or Wolf's panels, for a scratch built job I'm pretty happy with it, especially since this was my first effort...

IMG_1078_zpsiq3zph3v.jpg

And here's how the new floor fits in to the whole show:

IMG_1983%202_zpschiczf7n.jpg

The more I do on this the more I'm convinced the re-doing the cockpit was the right choice, even if it is a lot more work. It's amazing how much better you can do something when you take a second look at things sometimes. :)

Now on to the fun stuff, building all that lovely detail under the floor! :)

See you soon,

Craig

IMG_1981%202_zpscf3nvkgl.jpg

Whilst it has nothing on the likes of Peter's or Wolf's panels, for a scratch built job I'm pretty happy with it, especially since this was my first effort...

Craig

horse's poop... that panel is wonderful... if there was an emoticon for blushing with pride I would use it.... a lot....

love your ambition in this build too Craig - I just skirt around the edges making bits and bobs in 3D - you are basically becoming a one man kit maker..

don't forget I would quite like a Boeng 307 fuselage when you are done with this :)

Hahaha! Well it was your decals and bezels that made it Peter......  :innocent:

Hmmm 307 eh? Tell you what, in a few months time I will be once again away from the bench/internet for a good while with probably a fair amount of time on my hands..... if you know of some decent drawings that I can source we may be onto something :)

In the meantime I'll stick with this rough old thing........ :frantic:

Cheers,

Craig

Edited by brahman104