Is Kinetic 1/24 P-47 any good?

BiggTim

Hey guys! Thinking of trying a good quality (i.e. NOT Airfix) 1/24 kit in the near future, preferably something I haven't done in 1/32. I see there are two P-47D kits by Vintage and Kinetic available on "evilbay" (as I saw someone put it), but the Vintage kit is quite expensive. Is there a noticeable difference in quality between these two kits? Thanks,

Tim

PS - should I decide to do the P-47 in 1/32 after all, how does the Hasegawa kit compare to the Trumpeter one?

Edited by BiggTim

I don't know for certain but I believe they are the same kit.  As far as 1/32 scale P-47D's go, the of the better of the two you're asking about is the Hasegawa kit.  Others may or may not agree.  That being said, the Hasegawa kit is not a perfect kit and there are a few items that need to be corrected such as the engine cowl/forward fuselage mismatch but that's relatively easy to remedy.  The cockpit, while nice, is not adequate for such a large, open space.  The cockpit in the 47 is a very large opening and with the bubbletop canopy you'll be able to see every detail, open or closed canopy.  I replaced mine with the MDC offering which is very nice if you can get by the instruction sheet which is not the best it could be but overall, it's light years ahead of the Avionix offering. I'm not a fan of Aires either;  I"m not sure if they make a cockpit set for the jug or not but I'm willing to bet they do.

HTH

Tim

Edited by Juggernut

The Vintage and Kinetic 1/24 kits are the same plastic, different decals.

In a nut shell:

Trumpeter's 1/32 P-47 kits have a lot of unnecessary/hidden parts (the entire turbocharger with trunking and plumbing), their bubbletop kits have an out-of-shape windscreen, and they are all festooned with divots over the entire surface.

Hasegawa's 1/32 P-47 kits have an issue with the engine mounting about 1/16" too low, but have much more refined surface detailing and a correct bubbletop canopy.

Hasegawa also doesn't produce a 1/32 Razorback P-47 (yet?), so Trumpeter is your only choice there for a newer-tool kit.

HTH,

D

Hasegawa's 1/32 P-47 kits have an issue with the engine mounting about 1/16" too low, but have much more refined surface detailing and a correct bubbletop canopy.

Actually it's about 1/16" to high. Easy fix though, just cut the mount off and glue it back on 1/16" lower. Takes minutes to fix

I think you'll find the 1/24 offerings very sparse on detail for the scale which makes them a little toyish unless scratch detail is added.

Thanks for the input! I have seen the 1/24 Kinetic kit for less than the Vintage kit, so it's good to know they are the same, but I was a little concerned about the details available. I like to scratch build a lot of my own details, but if it gets to be too much, I'll sometimes buy some of the aftermarket stuff to speed things up. 

I am also pleasantly surprised to find that the 1/32 Hasegawa T-bolt sounds a bit more desirable to me than the Trumpeter kit. That's also good news because it's usually a tad cheaper as well. I have noticed that hidden details seem to be a common thing in the Trump kits. The engines in my P-38 are beautiful, but no way to see them, so I left one of them out to build it on a stand.

I guess I'd better get a couple kits done so I can buy a P-47.....

Tim

I'm all about the Hasegawa Jugs.  The Trumpy Jugs are too over engineered for me.

I started a Hasegawa Double Jug Build July 2013 then it turned into finishing the Russian Jug and putting Slick Chick away for almost a year.

Slick Chick is back on my bench. 

I like the Hasegawa kits.  My only angst was the cowling fuselage alignment.  I covered the fix in my WIP threads.  Get the Barracuda Wheels too!  Otherwise the fit was really good with few seam issues.  I used lots of AM stuff on the Russian Jug and have done some AM with Slick Chick as well as some scratch build stuff.

PM me if you have any further comments or questions.  Good luck.

Best - Rick

Edited by Rick K