Zoukei Mura P-51D

Ryan

Hi Ryan,

Just wanted to say great job so far and I love that you are building the ZM Mustang! I just finished the Tamiya Corsair and have picked back up on my ZM Mustang. I love these kits if just for the passion the owner has for his products. Those guys are so pleasant to see at Nationals. Their enthusiasm is infectious. I like my ZM Mustang so far. Havn't had any problems building it. It's not as sophisticated as the Tamiya P-51 but it holds it's own in my book. I know this won't be my last ZM Mustang. I'm fitting the Barracuda cockpit upgrades in this build but on further inspection the ZM cockpit would build perfectly acceptable as it comes in the box so my next ZM Mustang won't need the cockpit upgrades. Keep the updates coming! I'm following this build closely!

Cheers

Shane

Coming Saturday Chris.

Shane I feel the same way about ZM, I bought mine (Mustang and Skyraider) at a national convention and was able to spend some time with the staff, the President of ZM shared a few emails with me too afterwords.

I think if I don't build their kits I've let them down! :)

For those who haven't built the kits or know anything about them I suggest you visit the ZM website and read all the "The Old Man blogs"

You can really feel the sincerity about the products and people behind them.

http://www.zoukeimura.co.jp/en/sentiment/oyajiblog_057.html

Ryan

Wait this isn't a P-51.....

15314559046_b8a58241d5_b.jpg

image by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr

Nope it's a test fuselage, 1/48 F-18 to be exact! I really hate washes and wanted to try something new so out came the test piece, airbrush and paint.

I'll just describe the steps and let the pics do the rest.

1. Apply Tamiya NATO black as a solid pre-shade.

2. Apply Tamiya Yellow Green in a misted cloud pattern over the NATO leaving the black remaining in the cracks and recesses. (Very subtle)

3. Apply Model Master Clear to seal the color coats so far.

4. Apply the wash with diluted MM B-52 drab (a nice contrast to the Yellow Green...not too dark)

5. Seal with a Flat Coat.

Note the P-51 parts haven't been washed or clear coated yet.

15337577665_82e59efb35_b.jpg

15150992688_f1ac1984eb_b.jpg

15314553096_0fee15135d_b.jpg

Next I'll paint the tail gear and weather the tail section and the gear all at the same time.

Thanks

Ryan

Edited by Ryan

Inspiring Ryan! I'm gonna have to go home and burn a little midnight oil on my ZM Mustang. Barracuda cockpit upgrades fitted. Time to get some paint out!

Thanks

Shane

Do it man, that thing wont build itself!

Seriously thanks for the compliment.

Ryan

For some time I have been wanting the try the techniques of the excellent modeler J.M. Villalba, here are (2) of the books he has written. Both books are very good and provide many step by step techniques Mr. Villalba employs in his builds. What really intriged me is his techniques regarding high lighting detail for the most part WITHOUT washes or dry brush motions. Mr Villalba certainly does it better, but here is my interpetaion of his technique.

15187272560_da952939f5_b.jpg

Having painted the tail section already it was time to use the finishing and detailing techniques in the book. I adjusted some steps to better suit my skill level.

1. Using diluted Tamiya paint, trace around all features and bulkheads to simulate shadows. (this I blew completely..need more practice)

2. Having failed with the black tracing, I loaded up the Tamiya yellow green and fixed my mistakes!

3. Here I resorted to a wash and clear coated the model with Metalizer Clear, then washed with MM B-52 Drab.

4. Once the wash wash dry I clear coated the parts with AV Matte

Here is were the somewhat different technique in highlighting appears.....:)

5. Using a lightened version of your base coat you paint bulkheads, bolts heads etc. (this step is instead of a dry brush technique) Since Tamiya paint brushes terribly I set out to Hobby Lobby and damn near found an exact match for Tamiya Yellow Green in the craft paint isle! I then lightened this color with another craft paint until I had a shade or two lighter than the Tamiya base Then I just brush painted the highlites.

6. Done

15187209739_03991ce53f_b.jpg

I realize this look isn't for everyone, but I like it....here are my finished parts using his techniques.

15187448807_7ef04c5b30_b.jpg

Thanks

Ryan

Edited by Ryan

I think it looks great Ryan! The secret to this (or any other) approach is subtlety and restraint, and I reckon you've nailed that. Anything else results in a garish mess! I think this approach can also be combined quite successfully with more traditional dry-brushing and washes. In the end, the goal is to make the details pop, and you've certainly achieved that!

Kev