May be old news? A Tu-2 in 32 scale!

Vitali

Maybe Rog, but to quote Mike in his email to me:

Kev

Kev ...

Just got this reply:

"Hi Roger,

Sorry to dissapoint! However we are always looking for the next big thing (pun intended) and our owners are very receptive to the forum communities. So, it may be possible to consider producing a twin engine Soviet aircraft kit in that scale if enough people would be interested. We will keep the community informed!

Thanks Again

Mike Johnston

Webmaster

Merit International"

Rog :)

Well, that certainly is encouraging Rog!

Kev

I wonder if we should bother doing a sort of petition type of thread here?? You know, just to put some numbers back to them ... Thoughts?

I wonder if we should bother doing a sort of petition type of thread here?? You know, just to put some numbers back to them ... Thoughts?

I don't see that it could hurt, if it were handled properly.

I don't see that it could hurt, if it were handled properly.

Maybe "petition" is the wrong word ...

Maybe more of a "Soviet WW.II aircraft interest registration thread" ... Then when the thread has a few responses ... I'll send the link via email so that Mike can drop in and read responses. It would have to be heavily policed though, to delete some of the wild deviations off topic and/or bickering that can go on here.

I agree with you on the other response though!! Soviet gear is not my usual bag - but when I saw the original 1/32 ad, I said "I'll get me one of those!!" ... We are not overly populated with WWII Soviet gear ATM and they should sell well

Edited by Artful69

Not worth the slightest effort I'm afraid.

Well ... I don't know why not ... It's not like we're trying to make any sort of threat or demand .. Just suggestions that they have openly stated they are interested it ... But if you feel that strongly against the idea - I don't recall asking Kev to make it compulsory!?

Edited by Artful69

Agreed. I'd imagine this kit in 1:32 scale would sell like crazy.

Hmmm...really?

Who has even heard of this aircraft? Answer: not many

Who would model it in 1/32? Answer: probably less than above

Unless the cost of a scale up to 1/32 is small and it's a sort of loss leader, I'd say the ONLY choice of entry model if they are looking at Russian WWII twins is a Pe-2

I would be a Tu-2, but I just don't think there'd be many with me!

... I'd say the ONLY choice of entry model if they are looking at Russian WWII twins is a Pe-2

I would be a Tu-2, but I just don't think there'd be many with me! ...

We'll Nick ...

I've already said I'd do one!

In regard to the Pe-2 ... I know pretty much zilch about Soviet aircraft ... Except that the Luftwaffe shot a lot of them down ... I didn't even know what the IL-2M was until I looked it up!

This sort of contribution is kind of what the thread idea was about though!! Interest of varied subjects.

I'd be up for a 1/32 Tu-2 Bat and Pe-2 Peshka. Most definitely.

Okay, "a mere" 11,400 Pe-2s and 2,500 or so Tu-2s were built, compared to 36,000 or however many Il-2 Shturmovik, but as the Tu-2 was flown by the People's Liberation Army of China, and there are quite a few Chinese, I would suggest there's quite a big market for the type, regardless of it being a potential shelf-sitter in the LHS in Sissinghurst.

Tony

I kind of Agree with Nick. I think the Pe-2 would sell better - it is much better known

Probably a few of us here would buy one of these (not me as i have others to get to) - but it wouldn't recoup the investment ( i would think)

I think the reason it was kitted in 48th scale was everything else had been done!

Saying all this i hope  it does come to surface - plenty of toys for all i say!

ads

I think as has been established, quality is a key determinant in an up-market kit's success, almost irrespective of subject matter.

WNW are a classic example; there are modellers who would not have considered modelling Great War biplanes but for the beauty of the WNW models.

A beautifully manufactured Tu-2 would outsell a crappy model of a Phantom jet.

At the modestly priced end of the market, such as Revell, it'll sell if it has the right box art. I don't believe the bulk of its market would care less whether it's a Tu-2 or Pe-2, any more than the majority of casual buyers really being bothered whether it's a Ju 88 or Beaufighter, but for price and an appealing box.

I don't know where Xuntong sit in the price/quality curve, but imagine a big part of their market is domestic and SE Asia.

Tony

I'd be up for a 1/32 Tu-2 Bat and Pe-2 Peshka. Most definitely.

Okay, "a mere" 11,400 Pe-2s and 2,500 or so Tu-2s were built, compared to 36,000 or however many Il-2 Shturmovik, but as the Tu-2 was flown by the People's Liberation Army of China, and there are quite a few Chinese, I would suggest there's quite a big market for the type, regardless of it being a potential shelf-sitter in the LHS in Sissinghurst.

Tony

I kind of Agree with Nick. I think the Pe-2 would sell better - it is much better known

Probably a few of us here would buy one of these (not me as i have others to get to) - but it wouldn't recoup the investment ( i would think)

I think the reason it was kitted in 48th scale was everything else had been done!

Saying all this i hope  it does come to surface - plenty of toys for all i say!

ads

I think as has been established, quality is a key determinant in an up-market kit's success, almost irrespective of subject matter.

WNW are a classic example; there are modellers who would not have considered modelling Great War biplanes but for the beauty of the WNW models.

A beautifully manufactured Tu-2 would outsell a crappy model of a Phantom jet.

At the modestly priced end of the market, such as Revell, it'll sell if it has the right box art. I don't believe the bulk of its market would care less whether it's a Tu-2 or Pe-2, any more than the majority of casual buyers really being bothered whether it's a Ju 88 or Beaufighter, but for price and an appealing box.

I don't know where Xuntong sit in the price/quality curve, but imagine a big part of their market is domestic and SE Asia.

Tony

Agree that I would rather see a Pe-2/3 first. However, any company willing to do VVS subjects in 1/32, especially injection molded, will get some of my money. Bring 'em on!

John

Excellent, fellas!!! :D ...

This stuff will give them plenty of varied feedback of a positive and constructive nature ... I'm going to start a thread - If you guys can put your thoughts into that one (or just copy/paste them over) ... I'd appreciate it ... as you can see from the e-mail I got from Mike at the Merit site - the idea of going into 1/32 is not entirely foreign to them!! ... So - unlike some manufacturers, who wouldn't pay much attention at all - these guys seem keen to know what you're thinking ...

Edited by Artful69