Good first resin kit?

Nick32

Guest Peterpools

I have quite ea few of the Paul Fisher's kits and can only say they are first class and a great way to start. Least expensive is the Ryan series and beautifully molded.

Peter

Yes, you can cut your teeth on a Fisher conversion and do as I'm doing right now by building some airfield accessories - Verlinden, Videoaviation bomb trolley, tractor etc.

Tony

Having built several resin kits now, I'd recommend the AlleyCat (ex Montex) Yak-1b; Aerotech Spitfire Prototype or Fisher Ryan PT-20 as a great first resin kit.  You can often find good prices on the Yak-1b since it has been out for awhile.  Here is a link to my build of the Yak-1b if you want to see how it goes together.

Doug

Having built several resin kits now, I'd recommend the AlleyCat (ex Montex) Yak-1b; Aerotech Spitfire Prototype or Fisher Ryan PT-20 as a great first resin kit.  You can often find good prices on the Yak-1b since it has been out for awhile.  Here is a link to my build of the Yak-1b if you want to see how it goes together.

Doug

Not sure I'd recommend an Aerotech kit for a first resin ... They can be made into good-looking models, but are not the easiest ones to work with, when it comes to fit and sometimes accuracy... And they do not fit the "cheap" bill.

Hubert

Most anything from Fisher Model and Pattern IMHO.

I totally agree that SW kits, AliCat kits, and HpH kits are all great. I have built models from most all mentioned with the exception of an entire AliCat model............but have used and built other parts of theirs..................

Having built kits by most all of these manufacturers, I can tell you one thing, for as nice as they all are, the FM&P kits for the most part are IMHO probably the best fitting and easiest to put together, as a lot of thier kits have VERY nicely molded parts that are complete, such as some of thier kits come with 1 piece (hollow) fuselages, 1 piece wings, and or single pieces for thier elevators/stab.

You can see how the fuselage of their 1/32nd Fb.11 comes (next to the HC 1/48th Fury):

fisher3204review_20.jpg

Most all of their kits are of this same high quality and engineering.

Couple reviews:

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/reviews/review.php?rid=776

http://www.hyperscale.com/2007/reviews/kits/fisher3204reviewbg_1.htm

I only suggest the Sea Fury here, as its not that expensive for what you get, and how easy it is to put together, and it is by far their best seller and the easiest to get as far as availability goes. + Their kits come with things like crystal clear NON-vac resin canopies/windscreens, and nice additions like G-factor brass gear:

fisher3204review_brass.jpg

Edited by Out2gtcha

Thanks for that, the Sea Fury sure is coming highly praised. 

I'm giving the HPH ships catapult some thought too, as it will give me an excuse to get the Revell Arado... Plus if i **** it up its not a huge amount of money to lose (but still enough!)

NIck

Guest Dekenba

Planet Models Yak-23. Simple shape, not many parts, goes together well, well moulded and requires very little clean-up. Not too expensive either & quite an interesting subject.

I'd avoid HPH because, although they are utterly superb models, for a first resin I feel they'd be just a bit too much.

Thanks for that, the Sea Fury sure is coming highly praised. 

I'm giving the HPH ships catapult some thought too, as it will give me an excuse to get the Revell Arado... Plus if i **** it up its not a huge amount of money to lose (but still enough!)

NIck

I have both the HpH cat kit, along w/the Revell Ar-196. The cat kit is a nice molded thing, but will take some modeling prowess to bring it up to speed. You shouldn't have any issues, as it looks ripe with potential.

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update...

I managed to bag a Revell Arado for the bargain price of £16, so i'm now looking to buy HPH's Catapult. Its not too expensive, and hopefully with a bit of care i can create a nice looking diorama. It wont get built for a while yet anyway, so my skills should have improved by the time i build. 

Have messeged HPH directly to buy one, but as yet recieved no reply....  :hmmm:

Nick

I'm gonna pile on and recommend one of the Fisher kits. If you like Gloss Sea Blue go with one of the Panthers if you like British- the Seafury is outstanding. If it's something very unique, the Cutless is a possibility. The Stearmen is the least expensive and a great kit.

The Panther -5 was my first resin kit. No props, no engine, a nice pit and no aftermarket to mess with. The fit was perfect. A real gem. Paul has great customer service and he makes a quality product.

That's my take