Vintage Revell...

xmh53wrench

I have gathered almost all of old Revell 32nd scale kits during last 10 years, I mean original 60ies packaging. They are not to be build (even though I build Revell kits but the newer boxing). They sit in my room and I open the box from time to time, breath the smell (very distinctive) and for a short, flying and unholdable moment I am 13 again.

Nostalgy per se.

Jozef

I have a goal to build an example of just about every one of the old Revell 1/32 WW2 kits, partly out of nostalgia, and partly because I like the challenge those kits provide. The only one I'm not going to bother with is the Me 262A (I already have the 2-seater) unless it lands in my lap. The only ones on my list I haven't tracked down yet are the P-40 and Stuka kits. Many of the ones I have are 'builders kits', some without box art or even boxes. But that's OK. I sure do love those old box art paintings Revell used to use though.

Kev

Just fighting with an old P.40 right now Kev, its in the markings of Neville Duke's aircraft, GA*V, just painting the shark's mouth on, doing it by hand coz I understand that how it was done in the field? Its been fighting me all the way !

Edited by perry

I didn't manage to get my hands on the Stuka or Aleutian Tiger until I was an adult. How many sent in that dime? I still have those "Man in Space" booklets around here somewhere, though the Mercury capsule is long gone.

I have gathered almost all of old Revell 32nd scale kits during last 10 years, I mean original 60ies packaging. They are not to be build (even though I build Revell kits but the newer boxing). They sit in my room and I open the box from time to time, breath the smell (very distinctive) and for a short, flying and unholdable moment I am 13 again.

Nostalgy per se.

Jozef

Jozef, exactly my sentiments, i have several large boxes containing these same old kits, and going through the same emotions and memories.....

Jack.

Anybody care to contribute a comprehensive list and kit numbers of these old kits?

How cool would that be?

That stuff should already be in the Kit Database. Would love to fill in any blanks though! For the moment you can't bookmark or link to subsets of records in the database, but I intend to change that when I can.

Kev

Guest Peterpools

Lou

I remember each as if it were yesterday. Incredible kits and absolutely the cutting edge. I stated building models in the 1950's and Revell was the top of the line - the best of the best. Geez, Aurora's factory was here on the island in Hempstead, The hobby shop shelves, what hobby shops, it was the local five and dime and kits from Revell, Monogram, Hawk, Lindberg and Renwall a few I can't remember., were all on the shelves.  Glue, now you're talking: Revell tube glue was the best glue in town and it was only used for one thing: building models. Paint was Testors or Practra and pick your brush! After market ... what was that?

The good old days and wonderful times gone by.

Peter

I am a fan too! I recall as a young boy sitting for long moments in the model aisle of Gemco ogling the F4F and Stuka box art while my parents shopped in the store. I got the Flying Tiger P-40E, while I was envious of my friend who got the Aleutian Tiger. He got the Oscar, while I got the Tony!!!

I have been able to get a few on eBay as adult, including a couple still in shrink wrap! While I was overseas in the Balkans a few years back I decided to have a go at some of those 1/32 kits that I built as a kid to see what I could do as an experienced adult modeler. Really when taken in the context of the time I think that they are great! Some are still the only ones to get flush rivets correct and depict them as recessed circles around a flush head as opposed to a simple divot. Or to mix raised and recessed detail as on the real subject matter.

I'll get some photos of my finds up in the next few days when I am off work...

Well I got this one a couple years ago off eBay, still sealed in shrink wrap...

100_0066_zps88737aba.jpg

and this was inside- talk about bringing back some memories

100_0067_zpsf2d84631.jpg

Then I got this kit off Ebay still sealed in shrink wrap as well. Even though it is not the original boxing of the kit, it was no where near a recent release. That box art style went out with the rotary phone

100_0068_zpsdb7cfc3d.jpg

This one wasnt sealed...

100_0070_zps65e0895d.jpg

and it had these flyers in there...

100_0072_zps887c078e.jpg

and these two also date from the 80s...

100_0071_zpsc944c51a.jpg

100_0069_zpsb91cde6a.jpg

and I had these things in my instruction sheet archive... was anybody else a member of the Revell Master Modelers club?

100_0074_zpsfd2d7c3c.jpg

look the upcoming releases in the back!

100_0075_zps4eea067d.jpg

and finally I have this 70s vintage Revell catalog. The cover is gone, so I do not know what year it is from, but here is a look at the 1/32 aircraft section

100_0073_zps99cbb334.jpg

I had all the 1/32 aircraft shown except the Mirage...

Edited by stikpusher