G-Factor Ju-88 Landing Gear

scvrobeson

Hmmm...

I got a set from Sprue Brothers sent to me based on the commencement of this thread back in January. I just pulled them out to take a look and here are some photos of my set:

IMG_1664_zps9a8913c5.jpg

IMG_1665_zps4c3a544e.jpg

IMG_1666_zpscb55f9e3.jpg

IMG_1669_zps48792919.jpg

IMG_1667_zpsb048c42d.jpg

As this is the first set of G Factor legs I have used, they appear a little rough, but possibly within tolerance for me. Not quite as good as the original metal ones Jim showed earlier though.

Regards,

Kent

Edited by Kahunaminor

... The kit is ancient, and I don't think I have ever seen one built?!

That would be a waste of your time and a commercial failure.

I would concentrate on modern kits that need them ...

I agree that the kit is ancient ... we badly need a new one! ... 

Having said that ... Derek is in the throes of designing some AM corrections and Revell have re-popped the kit ...

I know more that just a few people who are hanging back on the build of these purely due to the lack of reasonable AM ... I'm one ... the kit is staying safely in my stash though - until the promised AM arrives (or a new moulded kit, whichever comes first).

I cannot attest to the commercial side of things here ... though you are probably right that it wouldn't sell in ginormous quantities. If someone with obvious passion as well as talent doesn't make the effort though, who will? ... surely not those who won't touch anything unless it has a definitive start up market of 50,000 sales in the 1st run??

Rog :)

Rog you must be talking about the Beufighter.

Kent that set looks just like the set I have, and they are too small.  The pins to the wing are too close together and the length is too short.

In doing my photo research, I have discovered that there appears to be 2 distinct styles of landing gear legs on the Ju88 aircraft.  There is an early style that uses the torque links like in the kit, and has a solid block on the upper link mount.  Then there is a later style that has a different torque link with 2 small holes the same size, both torque link parts are the same and I believe the gear leg is different as well.  Both types are shown at ju88.net .  My suspicion is that the change was to make manufacture easier with less quantity of different parts.

Again, I really need to get my photo stuff together and post them.

• 5 weeks later...

I came to a decision about aftermarket gear since my last post on here.  My general rule of thumb on products and companies that make aftermarket parts is that once I am sold junk, I basically avoid their products after that.  The CK cockpit for the Ju88 is one example, while the radios and ammo cartridges were decent and very useable, the rest of the parts for the 'pit were incorrect, inaccurate, and very poorly detailed.  I assumed that that kit would be "better" it was so much worse that most of the parts went "file 13".  Thus CK products are pretty much now on my "do not buy" list.

As to the G Factor gear, I chose them over the white metal alternate just because of the finish I saw in various photos on the web and how people seemed to think they were so good.  The first set I bought was a Fail on every count,  Fail on fit, Fail on correct sizing, Fail on finish.  Once I went to work on the kit parts, I found that it was fairly easy to strengthen them and that none of the landing gear units available were correct to the photos I have.  Quite a bit of detail differences were found around the torque links, their mounts on the leg, and details in that area.  This would have been missed if I had not needed to rebuild the kit parts.

Truth be known, I won't ever buy aftermarket landing gear again.  At least not from G Factor or the SAC brand.  I might be tempted by the ZM parts for their kits or maybe Eduard, but even then I have passed on some Eduard bronze legs recently just due to the bad feel I ended up with from the set I got from G Factor.

Fool me once, shame on you, for me there usually isn't a second try.

The NLG strut (part 84 IIRC) in the Revell Eurofighter Typhoon kits desperately needs to be replaced with metal. A direct copy in bronze would suffice.

Tony

I cannot see the need to replace the Revell Ju 88 gear by any after market metal gear. The detail I see on the pictures given here is easily added in a few minutes if one likes to do so. My Ju 88 (WIP here on LSP) is doing fine standing on the plastic gear legs given in the kit for some years now.