Second Attempt at HKM B-17G With Some Minor Improvements.

Silver Dollar

haha.............great progress SD!

I laugh too, at all the cat nonsense..............cause its so true. If I dont keep the door to my model room closed Sammy boy will be on my lap in a heartbeat, if im not paying attention, weather I have a freshly glued/painted model in my hands or not!

Guest Peterpools

SD

terrific work on the bomb bay - sure looks awesome. When my two kitties were still with us, their hairs were part of everything. Miss those days.

Keep 'em coming

peter

Thank you thank you.  Brian, you have no idea how many times my cat snuck up behind me and jumped right in my lap.  It happens right when I'm laying down a panel of foil.  Then I have to pull of the foil, pluck out the hairs and redo the thing.  The worst part is when the cats are out of the workshop and I've just shot a smooth coat of lacquer on a critical surface.  I come back in a couple of hours and the surface looks like I have surface worm tracks.  Out comes the sandpaper.  I think the hair multiplies after it falls off the cat.  

Finally, I have something to take a few pictures of.  I've got the bomb bay taken care of and now I'm working in the radio room.  This is the forward bulkhead with a few of the kit parts glued in.  I've scratch built the shelves because the kit parts just looked too bulky and basically are wrong.  I still have to add a few more pieces back including some radio equipment that didn't come with the kit.  Go figure.  More to come next time.  

DSCN2006_zps32b2b481.jpg

DSCN2007_zps95392fe6.jpg

DSCN2009_zps6d43b8e8.jpg

DSCN2011_zpsadb50e58.jpg

Thanks.  This is going to be a much more interesting build for me.  I'm literally rewriting the instructions.  Many years ago and I know a lot of you guys remember those times,  instruction booklets had a lot of text telling you what order the parts should be glued in.  Nowadays, you get a bunch of goofy diagrams, many times drawn incorrectly, backwards or upside down like I found in a few places.  Many times the printing didn't come out well or the drawing was too dang small.  I'm adding some text so some builders don't get too frustrated or turned off this kit.  

Hi SD. I just found your thread and look forward to following it.  I know what you mean about instructions. By trade I'm a technical illustrator, and do aviation manuals. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me that companies who create such beautiful detailed models incorporate some really substandard instructions. I would love to do instructions for models, and have sent resumes, but since mosst of these models are produced in asia, I guess I'm out of luck.

Good luck with your project!

Looking good SD. The more I look at it, the more I like how you are simulating the rivets with lighter color paint dots. The effect looks really good. The new shelves look good, I will probably do something similar with mine.

Thanks guys.  I'm trying new paint techniques to simulate different parts since most of them will be seen through clear plastic and won't be perfectly clear.  

Bill, I wish they'd hire you for the instructions.  The old days of good instructions seem to be gone.  I've got an old manual from 1963 for Monogram's Big Deuce and that booklet is a masterpiece.  If you make a mistake with that Deuce, get something backwards or upside down, it's because you haven't read the instructions.  Some of the pictures are so confusing, it's a wonder I've gotten so many things in the right places.  

Good to hear SD! I just received my shiny new box yesterday….. I'm itching to get stuck in but there is a Vampire on my desk that demands to be finished first :( In the meantime I'll be building vicariously through you…...

Keep up the good work mate :)

Craig

Okee dokee.  Finally some pictures.  This is the radio room forward wall and floor.  You can see that I got rid of that confounded step in the floor.  Any adjustments as well as the final wiring will be done when the unit is fitted into the fuselage halves.  I'm now working on the aft bulkhead getting rid of the ammo boxes, filling in the holes and working some detail into the molded radio boxes.  More wire and fiddly bits to put in.  

DSCN2014_zps3aad12e7.jpg

DSCN2016_zpsc8d40f42.jpg

DSCN2019_zpsc3dae6b7.jpg

DSCN2026_zps2ec68efa.jpg

And this is me getting a cat scan.  

DSCN2031_zpsfe1dae20.jpg