Second Attempt at HKM B-17G With Some Minor Improvements.

Silver Dollar

I've now got the cockpit about 90% done.  I took a few pictures as test shots to see what I'm missing and what I need to correct so if you see some errors, so do I.  I still need to paint the co pilot's seat belts, the brackets holding the O2 tanks that look short will not be seen when the turtle deck gets installed, I need to put in the thermos and the cups and the wiring is not complete yet.  More to come.  

DSCN1940_zps669399ad.jpg

DSCN1942_zpsd47fe97f.jpg

DSCN1943_zpsbe3e5e22.jpg

DSCN1945_zps13df082b.jpg

Hey Silver Dollar

Things looking Ship-Shape       Love the scratch stuff      .....What's the plan for the bomb-bay?

The way things are shaping up I will probably be back on the 17 about the same place you will be with yours. 

I needed the break and I guess my kat helped me out.

I hadn't built anything for a year when I jumped on the 17 and got too deep to fast  into B-17 stuff

So I'll keep watching and checking your progress

Jack

Thanks for all the great compliments.  You guys are really inspiring me to keep on going.  

@Jack- The bomb bay will be completely detailed as my research permits and will be displayed open.  With the plane on the ground.  I'm going to attempt to build a bomb cart with some bombs in the cart and some in the bomb bay to look like it's being prepared for a mission.  I don't want to put all the bombs in the bay because I think it will obscure a lot of detail.  I'll put in just enough to obscure the mistakes I make. LOL.  Also, Jack, don't rush your own build.  If it's getting too stressful, you need to stop until you feel comfortable working on it.  If it doesn't call you to the workshop, wait until it does and it will come out a lot better.  Take my word for it.  More to come in the next few days after I correct my errors and get some wiring in.  

The cockpit is essentially finished except the wiring that needs to be done after the assembly goes into the fuselage.  Now I've started to work on the bomb bay.  I had the framework all painted but I felt I had to take a slight step backwards.  After studying the research photos, I noticed that the brackets used to hold the frame together were not solid like on the model.  The brackets actually extended a bit from the joint of frame parts leaving a space.  A quicky photo of the painted stock center frame for the bay looked very toy like, not like it should.  I decided to strip the paint, cut the molded brackets off and now I'm cutting pieces of soda cans to make the brackets.  Here's what it looks like.  

DSCN1951_zps73633993.jpg

You can see where I cut into all the joints so I could get that space when I placed the brackets back.  I decided to use soda can aluminum again instead of styrene because of its thinner profile and they way it responds to the rivet maker.  Here's what it looks like.  I'm going to redo this one because it doesn't extend far enough over the joints like the real thing does.  

DSCN1953_zps2a2e43af.jpg

Here's how I cut the pieces.  The bracket here is for the middle brackets on either end of the frame.  These will extend far enough.  Once this is painted, it will hopefully look like the PE brackets for sale.  I know I can easily buy them but I get a real satisfaction out of making the parts myself, since I'm not too crazy about many of the aftermarket additions.  It's like that old 60s aspirin commercial where the woman screams out "Mother, I'd rather do it myself".  I get a lot of satisfaction when I can do the scratch building.  

DSCN1960_zpsfa312959.jpg

My next set of pictures will be the completed and painted frame.  More to come.  

I know I can easily buy them but I get a real satisfaction out of making the parts myself, since I'm not too crazy about many of the aftermarket additions.  It's like that old 60s aspirin commercial where the woman screams out "Mother, I'd rather do it myself".  I get a lot of satisfaction when I can do the scratch building.  

......and there you have it folks!....my sentiments exactly SD....good on you mate!......looking great! ;)

Thank you, guys.  It's always nice to know I'm going in the right direction.  I took a few test shots to see if I got the effect I was looking for.  The joints now will look as they should.  

DSCN1963_zps07646e04.jpg

DSCN1967_zpsfadab1e2.jpg

Here's one I took in lower light so I could see how the shadows fell.

DSCN1970_zps9663b88c.jpg

Now it's on to completion.  More to come.