Second Attempt at HKM B-17G With Some Minor Improvements.

Silver Dollar

I tried something new tonight.  This afternoon, I took my wife to Michael's craft store and while she was looking for her stuff, I found a thin aluminum sheet in a roll.  The material was dead soft like regular aluminum foil but much heavier.  I was able to cut pieces and fit them to the spaces between the stringers.  It looks more like real aluminum than the aluminum foil and handles beautifully. It's a bit labor intensive but when I get more done in the other side of the fuselage, I'll take some pictures and you'll see how it looks.  More to come. 

Hey Craig.  The metal is billed as rolled sheet metal and it looks like it's some generic brand named Craft and Hobby.  I think it's used for making drawn pictures on metal.  Other than that, that's all the info I have.  I got it at Michael's but I'm sure you can get it Hobby Lobby.  

This is what the waist will look like with the rolled sheet metal.  It looks o.k. but it's very labor intensive, much more than regular foiling.  This is two days worth of work cutting and trimming all these pieces and gluing them in one by one then adding a black wash.  I think foiling is just as good and no where near the labor and time it takes to do this.  I think I'll just foil the rest of it after I take care of the injection pin marks.  You guys tell me how you feel about that.  Thanks in advance.  

DSCN2097_zps99364aee.jpg

Hey Craig.  The metal is billed as rolled sheet metal and it looks like it's some generic brand named Craft and Hobby.  I think it's used for making drawn pictures on metal.  Other than that, that's all the info I have.  I got it at Michael's but I'm sure you can get it Hobby Lobby.  

Thanks SD, yeah I found it without too much trouble. Looks like it will be good for what I want, so I may have to invest. On the flip side, I reckon it looks awesome with what you've done on the interior, and personally I like the look of the sheet metal with a wash, but I understand the amount of effort it requires and obviously you need to weigh up how much will be visible. Either way looks great though!

If it was me SD ...I would have to go with the rolled sheet metal....looks the business...even though it is a laborious task!...

Good stuff mate! ;)

Fozzy

Thanks guys for your help with my dilemma.  Looks like I'm going to stick with the rolled sheet metal and continue from there.  Since there's no deadline and no urge to get this model completed for a contest, how long it takes is of no real concern.  Thanks again.  

Dollar

That foil looks interesting. Thanks for sharing. What adhesive did you use to fix it in place?

...and this is what you call "some minor improvements?"

Geoff

Edited by Ironwing

Hey Geoff.  I stuck that sheet metal on with medium viscosity cyanoacrylate that I got at Hobbytown USA.  I first cut a small piece off of the roll, rubbed it down with 4-0 steel wool or an 800 grit sandstick and trimmed it to fit the space.  The last thing I did was paint the ribs Modelmaster Chrome Trim Silver enamel and applied the black wash.  I started to change a few things and I don't seem to be able to stop.  It's like a bag of M&Ms.  You'll just have a few and then the next thing you know the bag is empty.  

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a much needed update.  I'm still piddling around with the waist and the sheet metal but I've also been involved in a number of other arts and crafts things I do.  I tool leather, make squadron patches, embroider and some sewing like the WWII stuff you find in the CBI.  I made an extension for a holster so it can sit lower on a belt for better draw.  I'm embroidering a set of WWII Chinese wings for a Flying Tiger shirt copy.  I'm also making a simulated silk AVG Banner because I can't afford the $25,000 clams for a real one.  There's just not enough time in the day to do everything I want.  It's totally frustrating.   :frantic:  :help:  :BANGHEAD2:

Thanks JB. I think I'm winning the award for the slowest build. One day, oh yes, one day it shall be completed.

I understand your sentiments, absolutely appreciate your dedication to the task and the tenacity you display in not falling victim to the need to finish it.

Nice going Dollar...

Geoff

Edited by Ironwing