Second Attempt at HKM B-17G With Some Minor Improvements.

Silver Dollar

Still working on the bomb bay.  We're in the middle of painting the inside of my house which definitely interrupts my most important work.  

What ....not concentrating on this build?????...painting the inside of the house??? :o

Hey SD I know you have spent many an hour staring at photos of the B17......I was wondering weather you have come across  a decent photo of this (inside the red ring)....

B17G_Bombardiers_Station_3_zps0415151a.p

I believe its some sort of bomb load chart for the Bombardier....can I find a photo of it?...no chance ....you dont have one do you?

Appreciate it if you have ..now get on with your B17!! ;)

Cheers

Fozzy

Hey fozzy.  Here's what I found.  I think this is about the best picture I have of that plate.  Hopefully this will help.  I'll look for a few more and add to what is here for you.  

201194927_b6333740b8_o_zpsf9338307.jpg

Click on the picture.  When it brings you to the photo bucket page, click on the little magnifying glass.  It will drop another picture.  Click on that little magnifying glass and it will enlarge the picture really well.  That should show you what you need.  

Edited by Silver Dollar

Hey fozzy.  Let me take a good look through my pictures.  I may just have something close to that.  I'll get back to you when I find it.  

Good man.... :) I just need something clear enough so that I can copy it!

You are a star my friend :thumbsup:  ...I have loads of these photos but none of them as clear as these!...I should be able to replicate that!!

Sorry for hijacking your thread SD! :blush:

Here's the only other thing I have.  

nosecomptmt_zpsfae0cb57jpgoriginal_zps26

There may be one more resource.  Let me check that.  

This is the one SD!! perfect my friend ....thanks so much...if I can help you in any way just give me a shout ;)

HI SD

like the bomb bay walls and may do something with mine.  Finished my desert Hunter in the Group Build but have not taken for RFI as the weather

stinks and I want outside pictures

Will Probably get back to the 17 and  EE Lightning in gray camo so i'll have 2 projects plus trying to get some new income generation.

I had some paint and compressor problems and want to use my new airbrush to figure out how to fix my paint problem.  I have been looking at the 17

and want to keep moving on it. I only have the tail gunner to modify and finish painting my other 4 crew and mount them to close the fuselage.

I'll have to get in B-17 mode.

Watch'in  You

Jack

The next installment will take a little while longer.  I'm working on the bombs themselves.  I could take a couple of pictures of the bomb bay sides and roof now but they'd be very uninteresting without their final details i.e. the wiring and all the little "boxes".  I'll take a few bomb bay pictures when I get it assembled and you can see it from the opening.  Meanwhile, I'm also working on the radio room bulkheads.  It takes a long time to add this kind of minute details.  I'm sure it will be worth the wait.  

Looks like me and fozzy are the only ones that are actively working on B-17 related models.  I can't believe how much time this one assembly is taking me.  You'd think that an empty bomb bay has little detail in it but "that's not entirely accurate" as they said in the movie Independence Day.  The wiring alone will take me some time.  One thing I did was to eliminate the lowest line on the inside of the fuselage sides which is slanted in the model but straight in the real thing.  Then I pushed the inside wall between the horizontal wing supports as tight against the fuselage wall as possible so I could eliminate that slanted line.  It's won't be perfect as it is but with a couple of bombs in place and some black and brown washes, it's relatively masked.  A picture taken at the right angle will make that junction just about invisible.  Don't forget that this section will the most visible of all since the doors will be glued open.  It has to be good.  

You'd think that an empty bomb bay has little detail in it

No I wouldn't :)

I know the feeling. But ask yourself if it's necessary to have this kit finished in a year from now. And if you're having fun doing all that detailing. I know I'm having a lot of fun detailing my bomb bay and it won't be ready in months. I have no deadline whatsoever. That's how I tend to think about things like these. I don't care as long as I'm having fun. And looking at this build and your thread, it seems like you are having fun as well. Or you're doing a pretty good job getting splendid results without feeling good, which I don't think would be very easy. 

What kind of wiring is there in a B17 bomb bay? One connection per fuse, one per release system?

Is there also a (mechanical) emergency release system? 

It has to be good.  

Agree :)

Wow having Googled some pics... that looks immensely different from a Heinkel bomb bay. 

I was wondering how these bombs would fall. So my friend Youtube showed me this remarkable video of some guys having fun dropping B17 bombs. If you haven't seen it already perhaps you'll see something of interest.