HpH de Havilland Hornet – Sea Hornet F Mk22 TT202

airscale

• 2 weeks later...

evening ladies...

pfffff - sometimes stuff just feels like it's fighting me all the way on this build and today is one of those days...

..started by scaling a drawing to understand the internal layout of the cockpit...

WIP263_zpsb07598b0.jpg

marked out where the armour plate, trim wheel and instrument panel will go and put the panel I made earlier in place...

WIP262_zpse660e4a6.jpg

...added the floor to make sure I had the stepped area right - I didn't, it needs moving back a bit but that's not difficult...

WIP264_zps70860e9e.jpg

..held up the other fuselage side to close it in and realised the panel is too wide - you can see the gap at the nose...

WIP265_zps8c8fea3f.jpg

WIP266_zps560c5c3c.jpg

..I have stared at it, sworn at it, rubbed my chin a lot and still can't work out why or how it happened. I know I skinned the fuselage walls so thats added some thickness, I think I made the panel from a scale drawing with reference to the kits dimesions so must have just ballsed something up dammit

..time to down tools, chill out and work out how to work around it as much as I love building instrument panels I really don't want to do the whole bloody thing again  :doh:

feels like this one is getting frustrating...

TTFN

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Peter

Geez, the IP is gorgeous and to do it all over again, that's a killer for sure. Knowing your commitment to perfection, no doubt in my mind, you're already hard at it.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

aargh! 

unlucky...it looks like the thickness of the sidewalls is the problem - could you not remove sections just forward of the I.P., and replace with / graft on some much thinner plastic card replacements?  Also it looks like it might be possible to shave a few millimetres off the r/h/side of the I.P.

That sucks Peter. Sorry to see your issues.

It's hard to conceive of an easy correction for this particular dilemma. It would appear that the gap is quite large and removal of material at the edges of the IP would n't be enough. It's a huge pity.

I hope that you manage to find a solution. Short of building a new IP, I'm stumped.

Good luck.

Everything looks just great, Peter.

The IP problem is one hell-of-a crap.  If you don't make a new one it may be just as well to simply chop some off of the bottom.

I feel your pain.

Sincerely,

Mark

• 6 months later...

Hello, Peter.

I am late to the party for sure.  I only started building again in my sixties.  Maybe you have done many builds in the quality of this Hornet.  Still, I can not recall seeing anything else like what have accomplished so far, on this site, or anywhere else.  I implore you to rebuild the instrument panel.  I was thinking you might spend an hour on it each time and then put it aside as something you want to finish but do not enjoy.  Eventually it is re-built and you can take up the adventure anew.

pridco

Hello, Peter.

I am late to the party for sure.  I only started building again in my sixties.  Maybe you have done many builds in the quality of this Hornet.  Still, I can not recall seeing anything else like what have accomplished so far, on this site, or anywhere else.  I implore you to rebuild the instrument panel.  I was thinking you might spend an hour on it each time and then put it aside as something you want to finish but do not enjoy.  Eventually it is re-built and you can take up the adventure anew.

pridco

very kind of you - I look at bits of this build virtually every day - its a dream to have a DH Hornet in 1/32 to look at..

..I love the kit and I love it's potential - I just need to learn a bit more about building resin kits before I feel I can do it justice

stick around - it will happen one day if you are still interested - I just have a Tigercat to wrap up in the meantime :ninja:

TTFN

Peter

• 1 year later...

I have purchased the Hornet as my first resin kit as well.  I am afraid to start, frankly.  I am just starting to use an airbrush because my wife does not like the fumes from spray cans--YES DEAR!

I am a huge De Havilland fan--what an incredible career!  The Hornet may be the most beautiful twin prop ever built.  I hope you will take it up again sooner...

Best regards,

pridco

• 5 months later...

I have purchased the Hornet as my first resin kit as well.  I am afraid to start, frankly.  I am just starting to use an airbrush because my wife does not like the fumes from spray cans--YES DEAR!

I am a huge De Havilland fan--what an incredible career!  The Hornet may be the most beautiful twin prop ever built.  I hope you will take it up again sooner...

Best regards,

pridco

I have started this kit and was eager to follow Peter (apart of engines...), as he had much more references than me. And I experienced the same problem: You can not fit a decent IP into the cockpit. You have to make the instruments much smaller - no way to use the proper Aircale photoetched fairings... I tried very hard, sanding nearly through the wall od the front part of the cockpit, but still not enough. I stalled the build and must say the Hornet from HPH is pretty complicated to built into decent kit. But I plan to restart it sometimes. 

• 10 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Just a thought; although you enjoy making your own cockpits, would the kit instrument panel fit better and still look the part?  I don't know how thick the fuselage and sidewalls of the real aircraft was, but if it was an inch thick of plywood and balsa sandwich, you're looking at 0.8 mm thick walls in this scale.

Jens