A6M2-N "Rufe" Takuma Flying Group *DONE*

Out2gtcha

• 1 month later...

I first had to spend and hour or two cleaning up the workshop................I hadnt done it since even BEFORE starting the Rufe, so it was definitely due. I figured also it might help with getting some of my lost modeling mojo back.

I was right!

After the bench was cleaned, I found a renewed sense of enthusiasm, and got to work re-riveting the panels I had sanded off when previously gluing the fuse halves together, and getting the resin A6M2-N parts fitted and blended with the IM Tamiya plastic. I also took the opportunity to attach the horizontal tail surfaces...........which BTW, fit EXCELLENTLY and required 0 filler.

It doesnt look it, but the scribing came out pretty decent as some of the things that look like scratches have actually been filled. The rest of the riveting was completed with a pin vice and a couple of needles, along with some passes with Radus Scrib-R.

Sorry for the downturn in picture quality guys my Sony camera took a dump on me right before AirVenture last week, so its my camera phone from here on out for a while:

2015-08-02%2017.04.58.jpg

Next up it was time to glue the wings on I felt. I decided to glue the upper halves of the wings to the fuselage, THEN glue on the bottom wing section, keeping things in line near the wing roots, and using the edges to clean up any inaccuracies in fit.  Ive seen this technique a lot on the forum, but up until now had not tried it. I figured this was the perfect place, and a good way to get an almost perfect fit on the upper wing to fuselage joints.

Turns out this is in fact JUST what happened. Even though there was a little bit of leakage, the upper wing/fuse joints are nearly perfect and will require 0 filler or rescribing:

2015-08-02%2017.03.33.jpg

2015-08-02%2017.04.25.jpg

Finally, I used mini clamps to get the lower wing in position, trued it up with the elevators and used some Tamiya extra thin cement to fix everything with the exception of the inner wing/wing root together:

2015-08-02%2017.04.36.jpg

2015-08-02%2016.50.22.jpg

2015-08-02%2016.50.01.jpg

As I said, since the inner part of the wing is resin to IM plastic I held off gluing that part until the rest of the wing is solid, and I can adjust things from there as needed to get the best fit.

Onward and upward once again gents!

Cheers,

Thanks Mal!

The technique of gluing on the upper wings to the fuse first seems to have paid off in getting some nearly perfect upper seams (no lower ones with the one piece lower wing).

Ive got the wing tips on, and have begun sorting the gun camera cover, and landing gear/canon covers.

The MDC lower resin part does not fit like the Tamiya parts, but after I glue it down, all it will take is a some filling and sanding, then some judicious re-scribing, and I should be GTG.

Pics soon, if I can get my Sony back up on its legs..........if not, its back to the camera phone.

Guest Peterpools

Brian

Always a treat to see you back at the bench. Nice progress on the Rufe and looking so good with the wings on and in place

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks Peter! Its really seemingly is a glacial pace as K1 would say modeling at the speed of life..................and with summer in deep swing, its been tough going getting anything done at the bench.  But I HAVE actually been working on this thing, albeit with some trepidation, as I still have not fixed my main camera, so am still relegated to taking pics with the smart phone.

On to some progress then!