A6M2-N "Rufe" Takuma Flying Group *DONE*

Out2gtcha

Thanks Remington!

Well guys its my B-day, and a present to myself arrived on my doorstep earlier and for only the 2nd time ever, Im putting this one down temporarily in favor of starting my brand new Planet Models XF5U-1 .

Ill be putting up a link (as well in my sig) to the build, an likly have a little in box review done as well>

Cheers,

• 2 weeks later...

Looking forward to your Rufe coming together Brian. I started the Trumpeter 1:24 Rufe, got lots done, had lots of problems, then finally abandoned it when it was about 99% complete. I'm sure yours will look splendid though.

• 1 month later...

I am curious about one thing: why is your old Revell Zero painted in a tricolor scheme?

lol Its my paint/weathering testbed K2. Just happened to be a 1/32nd Zero, which made the perfect pre-assembly stand-in for the Rufe.  :)

You should see the under-side........Its USN tri-color scheme on top, and Russian primer yellow (SU-30) on the bottom!

• 1 year later...

Uh oh! 

hand-zombie-grave-e1325617835981_WIP.jpg

This ones back from the dead!    Lookie what Daddie just got..........................the last piece of the puzzle I wanted to get:

150278-b.jpg

There have been some really nice Rufes appearing on the site lately, and as I am putting my HpH Walrus down on the S.O.D., I felt the need to pick one up from the S.O.D.   Im seriously thinking the Tamiya A6M2+MDC conversion is it!   I hadnt been able to get my hands on the VERY beautiful Aires pit a few years ago when I was going to start it, so I started it anyway..............................then after getting frustrated with having ordered the pit set TWICE, from various places, and having BOTH deals canceled on me, I put her on the S.O.D. in favor of a the Planet Models XF5U-1, then subsequently, my Has Fw90 A-8 R/2.

I had to move some parts around on the S.O.D. the other day, and this was one of the kits I had to move to get to some other little parts I needed for my Phantom Mustang build............I pulled out the wings with the MDC main float part already attached, and was actually quite impressed with my own work, as all the delicate riveting, as well as the correctly raised sections of the center wing were still in tact, and all is ready and waiting to be sanded flush without too much work at all:

DSC01621.jpg

Now that I have the Aires pit in hand................and will have a clear bench in a couple of days, along with the fact that I have built exactly 0 Japanese subjects ever, I think that the Rufe's time has come!

Stay tuned gents, Im going to try to get RE-started on this one in the next few days!

Cheers,

Edited by Out2gtcha

yey - see they do come back from the dead!!

this is gonna be one fine looking airframe...

Thanks Peter!   It was calling me from the second I took out the wing with the MDC part already attached.............................then for whatever reason somehow that Aires pit set magically ordered itself and showed up on my doorstep!    No clue how that happened...........   :rolleyes:

Mysterious self ordering is how I explain most of my purchases, especially those items where I have more than one.

I also have this kit and conversion,so it will be a pleasure to follow along!

Regards,

Thanks Kent!    I too have to explain some things like that as I have no other plausible explanation for how all this STUFF keeps coming to my door.  :rolleyes:    :lol:   I keep telling the GF some of it is "Samples for review".............of which some of it IS............and some of it ISNT.   :lol: I guess maybe I should feel worse about that

Another one to watch    :popcorn:

Pardon my ignorance, but was the Rufe cockpit different from the Zero ? Or is the Tamiya one inadequate ? I thought it was pretty good, even if not to their new (read Corsair or Mosquito) standard ?

Hubert

Thanks Hubert!   Well, to answer your question as best I can...............I honestly dont know. BUT the Tamiya cockpit is in fact pretty decent...........................I just FELL IN LOVE with that awesome looking Aires pit!  It is REALLY spectacular, and I had a TON of other AM for this thing anyway, so Im adding it.  

Uh oh! 

hand-zombie-grave-e1325617835981_WIP.jpg

This ones back from the dead!    Lookie what Daddie just got..........................

Brian.......Lets see Awoken from Death....DR Mal/Coroner Mal.... will take a look on your Frankenstein.....yep...It Is Alive

Namnloumls_zpsetdqqw65.jpg

So keep em coming Brian..

/Mal

Edited by Mal_Belford