Revell Sea Venom.. Finished!

ericg

• 1 month later...

I ended up almost scrapping this build. The Gunze Sangyo sky colour cracked and crazed under the coat of future, so much so that I gave the entire model a bath in oven cleaner and stripped off all the paint and decals.

Thanks to the generousity of two gentlemen on this board, Whitey and Kagemusha, I was able to obtain some new decals. What you see below is a totally new paintjob (using Tamiya Sky this time), and also I used Tamiya clear for the first time as well..

I will need to modify the tip tank paint slightly as there are some additional yellow bands to them.

photo4_zpse40d5162.jpg

sdfsdf_zpsa5ccbd3f.jpg

Stripping dodgy paint jobs and starting over is something I've never had the heart to do, but several of my models would be much better today if I had. Kudos to you Eric for a brave but successful recovery! Looks great.

Kev

Guest Peterpools

Eric

What a fantastic recovery from a disaster that most us us would have seen the Sea Venom in the old round file. She looks absolutely flawless.

Keep 'em coming

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Whilst the paint dries on the Mirage I am spending that time applying a wash to the Venom. My weapon of choice is the flory/promodeller range as it is very easy to use for basic panel lines. An alternating mix of dark dirt and black works quite well. Notice that I still haven't installed the seats yet as I am holding out for Harold to come to the rescue with some new ones (Hint hint Harold I could be your launch customer!!!!!)

0110b5f7b7c86b2cbcf39cfcc64f2ab3dc8c3184

Basic technique is to  roughly apply it to the panel lines and then let it dry for an hour or so. Then wipe most of it off using a moist cottn bud.

01a978405fdea1bab9174a648c264c0c57f6a66d

Edited by ericg

I needed to come up with something for the landing light in the port wing. I actually lost the clear disk that comes in the box. I thought I would be a bit adventurous and give my new lathe a spin for its very first modelling related job. Not having used one since school (approx 20 years ago) I was a bit dubious as to my ability to be able to use it as such but it worked out great. Moving further away from the original OOB theme (don't tell anyone!)

I had a big piece of aluminium laying around

017c569ae08b6c67f2e97b5d090a6c376af1a44a

Turning it down to 5 mm

018ca4bb6bf1c8cab6df741d0c7044ef3dcef0e8

Center drilling the convex shape of the light

01a235352ae62b7e8dac18c3e3a0beebc7dabc2a

Parting it off

01a0de4d5f1d3c7caca1b7f0adf53cfac576ae76

Sizing up the end of the light

0120dd1156c1ea101ce60db78fe7db7deac8677e

And here is the part!

01eb28a78d77557d205eec02828614f084334280

It was a press fit into the wing and has now been glassed in with an appropriate sized piece of clear plastic.

0159fff3b3fa959b825a14b062edfc637f780e6c

Looks great!  Lathe work is astounding...........

Im sure you wanted to use the new toy ( and to great effect I might add! ) but if you wanted to save yourself some work for future endeavors like this, you could always sub in an MV Lens. They make all sorts of sizes, and they really do look quite realistic:

DSC03181.jpg