pilot looking left ... check

hands on control ... check

hud in place... check

oxygen hose firmy glued in place (unlike last time) ... check

hell hole .. crew chief forgot to cover it

canopy actuator ... check

canopy lever ... check closed

compass ... in place

Some weapons work. I'm not 100% decided which load i'll use, probably an asymetric config with 2 bags and the IMER with 1 LRDG on the primary station.

I'll be flexible for the rest. the Zacto's sidewinder are awesome

GD_F18C_61_weapon.jpg

GD_F18C_62_weapon.jpg

The MER was converted to IMER. Still needs some detail painting and weathering. The LRDG come from the trumpy superhornet

GD_F18C_60_weapon.jpg

Inert laser maverick, chin load and the hook support, the whole model will be supported by that small rod!

GD_F18C_66_hook.jpg

After a full day spent decalling the hornet (kit's decals are a bit on the thick side) I needed a break and worked on the carrier deck section.

The base is MDF wood 18mm thick. I started drawing 90mm radius circles for the location of the tie down and bore 6mm holes in the wood.

GD_F18C_66_deck.jpg

The deck received a couple of rust oleum coat to simulate the anti slipping revetment.

First time I try that and I'm happy with the texture result.

The tie downs were then painted and glued in place. They are PE tie down from J's work.

GD_F18C_67_deck.jpg

The rest of the work will be painting the centerline and weathering and scraping the deck.

Edited by red Dog

Thank you gents :)

I hesitated for long between the two available vfa-192 in the box.Initially I wanted to do the 2000 version with the yellow dragon on the tail. but as the build progressed, i finally decided that the worn look of the paint would better suit the 2001 low vis version.

I found multiple pictures of the wfgd landing at Astugi which sold me on the low vis paint scheme

got a question for the navy experts in the house

any idea of the width of the deck yellow and white centerline? it seems pretty large but it's hard to judge from the picture i have found on google

yep Fred, only one way to do it :)

But before, let's make sure everything in there is ready for closing:

GD_F18C_63_cockpit.jpg

helmet... check

pilot looking left ... check

hands on control ... check

hud in place... check

oxygen hose firmy glued in place (unlike last time) ... check

hell hole .. crew chief forgot to cover it

canopy actuator ... check

canopy lever ... check closed

compass ... in place

Some weapons work. I'm not 100% decided which load i'll use, probably an asymetric config with 2 bags and the IMER with 1 LRDG on the primary station.

I'll be flexible for the rest. the Zacto's sidewinder are awesome

GD_F18C_61_weapon.jpg

GD_F18C_62_weapon.jpg

The MER was converted to IMER. Still needs some detail painting and weathering. The LRDG come from the trumpy superhornet

GD_F18C_60_weapon.jpg

Inert laser maverick, chin load and the hook support, the whole model will be supported by that small rod!

GD_F18C_66_hook.jpg

After a full day spent decalling the hornet (kit's decals are a bit on the thick side) I needed a break and worked on the carrier deck section.

The base is MDF wood 18mm thick. I started drawing 90mm radius circles for the location of the tie down and bore 6mm holes in the wood.

GD_F18C_66_deck.jpg

The deck received a couple of rust oleum coat to simulate the anti slipping revetment.

First time I try that and I'm happy with the texture result.

The tie downs were then painted and glued in place. They are PE tie down from J's work.

GD_F18C_67_deck.jpg

The rest of the work will be painting the centerline and weathering and scraping the deck.

I don't mean to pick nits...and please correct me if I'm wrong here...

But shouldn't the end of the tail hook be facing the other direction - ie: towards the direction of movement (forward) and the deck arresting cables?  It appears that the hook at the end is facing backwards?  :shrug: :whistle:   Regardless of my own lack of knowledge...this is an AWESOME build!!!

Nice catch !!

it was only put for the photo, it isn't attached yet

you may have saved an important detail, thanks :)

I wasn't sure if that was actually how it was supposed to be or not...and I know I've done stuff like that myself more times than I care to count!  :D  Glad it's not just my hazy vision from watching all these AMAZING builds...and also that it's easily reversible!

Cheers  :thumbsup:

Bri~

Yep, I'll stick with 30-32mm - it seems to match the hundreths pictures I found of carrier deck :)

In the meantime, I continued my creative micro painting. Time to get that 0.15mm airbrush needle out of storage:

The model has been decaled, gloss coated and washed. Now I'm painting the anti corrosion touchups.

Once done, it will be faded back a bit into base colour.

GD_F18C_71_tails.jpg

GD_F18C_72_touchups.jpg

GD_F18C_74_touchups.jpg

GD_F18C_73_touchups.jpg

The wing bag and centerline received the same treatment, the decals are homemade

GD_F18C_75_bags.jpg

Same kind of work on the top wings

GD_F18C_76_wing.jpg

And faded back with base colour

GD_F18C_77_wingfaded.jpg

Edited by red Dog

Your Weathering is pure Michelangelo. This is an excellent display of the artwork that is such a huge part of a successful build. You have captured the impression of this beautiful bird in flight and given it back to us in scale and 3D! Kudos! :clap2: 

Sincerely Anthony

Thank you gents, I appreciate your comments :)

I was kinda waiting for someone with the guts to tell me that the weathering was overdone, which is true in the picture earlier. Luckily the final mist of base colour blended all that back to my comfort zone :)

The deck ceterline was painted: 30mm wide, about 1 meter in real life

GD_F18C_81_base.jpg

next is fading a bit that line and painting tire marks. Of course I'll need to solve the wire issue, I'd like to have one wire placed a bit forward of the hook.

Weapons are finally done, my highlight is the modified IMER and the two blue LRDG. I hesitated putting only one but in that case, it has to be the rearmost one and I wanted to have one in front so I decided to put two.
GD_F18C_79_LGTR.jpg

The AN-ASQ-173 and AGM65 have been updated with some internal tubing and lense to simulate the opticals. much better so. it's easily done and really makes a difference.
Simply bore a hole in the front of the weapon/sensor before gluing the lens.
Glue another lens (or round the end) to a tube matching the hole, paint them (in the case of the AN/ASQ173 in black with an optic in gloss black.)
insert the tube into the hole and then only glue the final lens.
GD_F18C_80_ANASQ127.jpg

With the tails installed, the resin exhaust and all stores the Hornet is quite heavy for that 2mm supporting rod :)
Luckily I planned a backup plan with a transparent rod going through the centerline fuel tank, just in case ...

She's almost done and as always I can't wait to remove the canopy masks and have it displayed.
More pictures of the final model soon.

Edited by red Dog

Yes RD looks kick ass! I'm also looking forward to the unveiling of your project mate looks killer already!

love your IMER, the blue LGB training rounds sure do add a splash of colour there!

Cheers

Fred

Just a friendly FYI, these are actually called LGTR's (Laser Guided Training Rounds). I had the pleasure of loading quite a few of these when I was attached to VMFA-134 back in 95/96.

One small correction for any future Hornet build.......the edges of the trailing edge flaps are not red on the F/A-18. They are gray (can be either the 36375 used for the bottom or 36320 used for the top).

All in all, a very enjoyable build to watch come together!

Thank you gents, I appreciate your comments :)

Weapons are finally done, my highlight is the modified IMER and the two blue LRDG. I hesitated putting only one but in that case, it has to be the rearmost one and I wanted to have one in front so I decided to put two.
GD_F18C_79_LGTR.jpg