How can I fix a crack in a canopy?

rohan

I have accidently made a small crack in my F18B canopy on the seam line. I was polishing out the seam with micromesh and pushed a little hard. Can anyone tell me how I can fix this so its invisible?

Tanks

Rohan

You cannot fix a crack in the clear plastic, period. Even if you cemented it, sanded and polished it out, it will always be there. The only way to get rid of the crack as was previously mentioned, is to replace the canopy.

Hi Rohan

My Dad had a 1/32 Hasegawa TA-4 that he was converting into an RNZAF TA-4K, that had

a cracked front wind shield.

Try as he might, he couldn't get a replacement part at all. I took the wind shield part, filled it with

modellers putty and stick, sanded out the crack (also reducing the size slightly) and then plunge formed

a new wind shield.

The new part was glued on, I used thin foil strips attached with either Krystal Clear or white glue for

the framing, and the best part when the rear canopy was lowered to meet the new part, it fit light a glove

Obviosly the canopy for an F18 is some what larger, but I have seen a 1/32 RAF Hawk canopy done with

a plunge form, in one of my older model magazines, and it came out quite well.

Some thing to consider?

Regards

Alan

I have a similar issue with my Spitfire canopy. It developed a small crack in the aft, top center. I gently spread it apart, applied Testors clear part cement and wiped off the excess. After I let it cure for about 2 days, I submerged it in Future floor wax. It all but disappeared. Hope that helps.

You might try dipping it in "future" and gently forcing the crack open to allow the future in then let it dry. The future might "heal" the crack to the point it becomes unnoticeable. Never tried just a thought :hmmm:

Barry

Only fix is to buy/scrounge replacement parts, or paint it blue and hang the whole model from the ceiling and then you may forget about interior detail - which isn't so stupid as it sounds. Believe me!

Tony T

Rohan, take care as the Johnson "Klir" sold in France is not the same product as the "Future/Klear". This one looks milky whereas the real one is clear as water.

As written by the others, there are not a lot of options as it is impossible to hide a large crack in a clear part. So besides Tony's proposal, you can:

- find a new part (ideally from the same kit or from a similar Hornet one)

- make a vacform copy

- make a clear resin copy (quite difficult)

Good luck.

You might try dipping it in "future" and gently forcing the crack open to allow the future in then let it dry. The future might "heal" the crack to the point it becomes unnoticeable. Never tried just a thought :hmmm:

Barry

Tried that with my 1/24 Harrier canopy Barry, it helped but didn't make the crack invisible.................as for getting a new one from Airfix, more chance of a direct line to the Almighty :innocent:

It really shouldn't be as hard as it is with certain manufacturers to get spares when the models nowadays cost so much to begin with.

Happy modelling, Martin