the next Tamiya 1/32 kit anounced

ChuckT

Is the Tamiya 1/32 stuff REALLY as good as everyone makes out

In a word Yes.. the levels of accuracy, (never a strong point for Trumpter), innovation, (magnets to hold scale thickness cowl panels in place, ) and quality mean that despite myself , Tamiya Prop kits really are in a class of their own , ditton the F-16 Family ,However the F-4's and F-15's, being older, need a little "help" to bring them to a peak of accuracy , but Mustang, Spit, Zero- buy them knowing that overall they are the best out there

That's not to say Trumpter don't do good stuff , their A team is capable of turning out some superb kits , some of which you've mentiond , Swordfish, Me-262 , SBD, BUT for everyone one of these , there are mishappen mistakes, like the A-7...

Oh and your last point, the Dragon Wintech 109 is regarded , I think, I'm not a 109 fan, is being the best 109E out there, I know I enjoyed building my one hugely earlier in the year

Guest Dekenba

Tamiya - along with WNW - produce the best quality kits.

However, Revell do the best value kits - you can buy a He111, a Ju88 & an Ar196 for the price of a single Tamiya 1/32 kit. That's a lot of quality plastic modelling to be had!

Oh and your last point, the Dragon Wintech 109 is regarded , I think, I'm not a 109 fan, is being the best 109E out there, I know I enjoyed building my one hugely earlier in the year

Great to hear!! ... Ditto for the 110 I have as a WIP at present!!! (although I wasn't sure whether it was just the relief I had in being able to ditch the Revell one!!) ... I'm looking to score a 109 from these guys soon also ...

Well it seems Tamiya make a decent 1/32!! ... Since I already have a Dragon Mustang ... and Mk.I or II Spitfires are the only ones I want ... The choice was either a Zero or this new Corsair ...

Might have to have a dig at both eh?? ;)

Rog

While I will tend to agree that it is always a "bang for buck" or "get what you pay for" proposition with most things ... I have had neither manufacturers kits at my disposal before (at least in aircraft anyway) - That will change now though!! ... How would you rate HPH against Tamiya or WNW?? ... I just saw the post on here with that new Catalina and ... well ... wow! - is the only comment I could come up with ... If thats their average I'm in for that Walrus they do!! ... it seems at first look that HPH are pretty detailed!

However, Revell do the best value kits - you can buy a He111, a Ju88 & an Ar196 for the price of a single Tamiya 1/32 kit. That's a lot of quality plastic modelling to be had!

My Tami F-16 is stalled, because it wore me somewhat out. IMO an overengineered kit with a share of its own problems in practicability. I am certainly not as delighted as I am supposed to be...

Guest Dekenba

My Tami F-16 is stalled, because it wore me somewhat out. IMO an overengineered kit with a share of its own problems in practicability. I am certainly not as delighted as I am supposed to be...

Sacrilege!

If you haven't done it, tear into one of their F-4's and start to correct the issues with those kits. Then the F-16 will seem like coming in from the cold. If anyone other than Tamiya had done an F-4 with the same issues, they would be raked over the coals. Not that its a bad kit, its just a decent kit festooned with warts and other issues. At this point though I think its looked at like their F-14-"Hey its old, their new stuff is better". But it was highly, highly praised at the time. The intakes still make me shudder a little...

It may be a lot of modelling for the money but I would rather pay £150 for a ZM or Tamiya version of an aircraft than £25 for a Revell. I want a well engineered kit that will allow me to keep what little hair I have left without having to do battle with Revel standards of build and those awful instructions. The Arado 196 was a decent kit though if you forget their canopy or get a aftermarket replacement.... not such good value when you add the aftermarket stuff needed.

Edited by BarryWilliams

So to summarise, Tamiya 1/32 jets were of a decent standard of 15-20 years ago ... whereas the new prop-kits, starting with the Zero are in a totally different league ...

I guess the same could be said, relatively, of the new Revell releases (like the Ar-196) compared with their Corsair or P-40 of my (long-gone) youth.

Hubert.

Guest Dekenba

Is that price correct?!

I wasn't going to part with £100 for a Tamiya loft insulator, but at that price I'm very, very tempted!!!!!

Is that price correct?!

I wasn't going to part with £100 for a Tamiya loft insulator, but at that price I'm very, very tempted!!!!!

Hope so, I've just pre-ordered one. £68.98 inc p&p be rude not to. Bought from them before, an Il-2M3 nice and cheap, all went well.

Guest Dekenba

Hope so, I've just pre-ordered one. £68.98 inc p&p be rude not to. Bought from them before, an Il-2M3 nice and cheap, all went well.

I agree 100% - I too have placed my order! Never used Google checkout before but it seemed to be Paypal-like easy.

Less than £70 for an newly released iconic 1/32 Tamiya model? Utter bargain.

Thanks for the heads-up, much appreciated!

Guest Dekenba

Price on the Corsair pre-order now increased to £72 plus postage.

Still a very good price, but I'm glad I ordered before the increase.

Edited by Dekenba

That is a superb price for a new 1/32nd scale Tamiya kit.

Questions: Is the Corsair a small aeroplane? It looks to be a similar size to the Spitfire or Mustang and I'd guess the parts count will be similar so how can they offer such a blindingly good price?

Whatever the answers it certainly represents excellent value for money at that price. :speak_cool: