HK Models 1/32 B-25J Bomber 7:19:13 All Done!

scvrobeson

Since people guessed it, here are the markings for the Mitchell. It's the Kit-World decal sheet for Ave Maria, which looks like it will be amazing. i've also got a couple of pictures of the real plane in full color, so I will be using those to help get this done right.

B-25JAveMaria001_zpscf2dc488.jpg

PhotoAveMaria_zps457920fc.jpg

PlaneAveMaria_zpsa94bf77e.jpg

This plane was clearly beat to hell, so I'm going to try and pull that off the best I can with the paint and weathering.

Thanks everyone for following along so far, I hope to get some work done during the week into next week. I'm on Spring Break all next week, so hopefully I can get a lot of model work done.

Matt :party0023:

Superb colour image Matt. The heavily weathered and war weary appearance will look marvellous on your Mitchell. Interesting shot of the tarp over the turret in the b&w photo too.

Enjoy the experience. With so many brilliant models of the Mitchell on the go here at LSP, you're in good company.

I look forward to seeing how this one progresses.

Guest Peterpools

Matt

Great choice for markings and you sure are ready for battle. Just take your time and being a contest model for the Nats, going the extra mile iis the key phrase for the build.

Keep 'em coming

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Superb colour image Matt. The heavily weathered and war weary appearance will look marvellous on your Mitchell. Interesting shot of the tarp over the turret in the b&w photo too.

Enjoy the experience. With so many brilliant models of the Mitchell on the go here at LSP, you're in good company.

I look forward to seeing how this one progresses.

Thank you. There are a couple of color images floating around the web, I just wished some of them showed the other side or the tail. None seem to show those parts, so my weathering on those will be put guess-work. I do like the look of the tarp, but I'm planning to detail the turret and the compartment below it, so I'll want that out on display.

There are a lot of great builds on here of the Mitchell, I'm hoping to be up to that quality level.

Matt

Great choice for markings and you sure are ready for battle. Just take your time and being a contest model for the Nats, going the extra mile iis the key phrase for the build.

Keep 'em coming

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Thanks Peter. I'll be sure to take my time. I've got almost 5 months before the Nationals, so I should be fine on time for this one. Adding the little bits and pieces to take it to the next level will be the key to success I assume.

I actually started cutting plastic tonight. Since everyone else has been starting on the cockpit, I figured I'd start somewhere else, so I grabbed the sprue of tail parts, and got to work on that. The attachment points are on the mating surface on these parts, which is an annoyance for sure; but with a sharp X-Acto blade they were cleaned up. The parts glued together great, and just needed some light clean-up on the seams to make it invisible. The rivet detail is really amazing on this kit, and should look great when it's all weathered and painted. The fabric detail is good, not great; but passable for sure.

B-25JAveMaria009_zps6c8169ff.jpg

B-25JAveMaria010_zpsb6c08875.jpg

B-25JAveMaria011_zpsaeeba7c5.jpg

B-25JAveMaria012_zpse83f572c.jpg

B-25JAveMaria013_zps45b2cc5d.jpg

There was a tiny seam here, nothing major, but it has to be perfect so it got filled and will be cleaned up once the Surfacer is dry.

B-25JAveMaria014_zpsd2e81733.jpg

Also a small ejector pin right here. I'm not sure if it will be visible, but better safe than sorry.

B-25JAveMaria015_zpsa832a73c.jpg

B-25JAveMaria016_zps2ac6d8ee.jpg

This is a huge assembly. It's about the same size as the fuselage of the D.VII, so I'm starting to get worried about where I'll put this monster once it's all done.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes, and reading in so far. I hope that you're all going to enjoy this build. Hope to be back soon with some more progress.

Thanks Shawn! That's a great picture of the tail of the Mitchell. Does of course show that the rivets are raised, but there is no way I'm going to go through the trouble of making them raised.

Today, I got the engine nacelles put together. These went together great, and only had some tiny seams to deal with. Those were filled with some Mr. Surfacer 500, and polished smooth. All that is left is to re-rivet the seams. Once the nacelles are together, I'm starting to realize how big this thing is. The engine nacelle is the same size as the fuselage half from the Wingnuts Fokker D.VII. This thing is going to be massive once all is said and done. But I'm going to enjoy the experience of building it.

B-25JAveMaria017_zps7bdd0462.jpg

B-25JAveMaria018_zps1004906e.jpg

B-25JAveMaria019_zpse23aaa4b.jpg

B-25JAveMaria020_zps592fb100.jpg

B-25JAveMaria021_zps4736ea0a.jpg

B-25JAveMaria026_zps81f319c4.jpg

B-25JAveMaria025_zps16d724b4.jpg

B-25JAveMaria024_zps7c60f56a.jpg

B-25JAveMaria023_zps565cc0e5.jpg

I also loaded up the front of the nacelle with weight. Each nacelle has about 3 ounces of weight in it, or 85 grams for you metric folks. There will be a ton of weight added by the end of this build to keep it down on the landing gear. I will add a false bulkhead so you can't see the weight, and then probably a bit of detail around the edges of the nacelle to fill in the missing detail.

That's all for tonight. I will probably get some more work done tomorrow, but we'll see. It's been a tough week so far, so modeling has been an outlet for me.

Thanks everyone for reading in, hopefully you're enjoying it.

Edited by scvrobeson

I've got a slight dilemma guys. I've been looking around at pictures of B-25s, and tripped across another scheme from Kits-World Decals. They do a B-25 glass nose called "The Ink Squirts" and it's one of the coolest schemes I've seen on a plane in a long time! It's covered in little cartoon characters, picture is attached on here.

inksquirts4_zps521ba00b.jpg

There are also cartoon characters near the tail as well. It's a cool scheme, but it's all NMF, and would require probably $100 worth of Alclad paint, and I'm not sure if I want that investment.

Any opinions? Keep it the same, or change up the scheme?

Matt

Nice work so far. Between all the B-25 builds on here, I think people have completed enough different sections that if you were all working on the same kit, we'd have one finished :)

I saw the Ink Squirts scheme on their website as well and thought it would be different. I've pretty much decided to do my gun nose strafer as Betty's Dream (my wife likes the look of it) but the glass nose one I'm still undecided on.

Carl

I have never seen anything like that scheme. That is defiantly neat.

You can also add some weight (small amount anyway) inside the center of the engines

Yeah, I think it's a really cool scheme, I'm going to do some thinking about painting it in that scheme.

Thanks for the tip on the weight. I'm going to see how much more I can squeeze into the nacelle, and I'm going to fill the space around the nose gear with weight as well to really pull the nose down.

Nice work so far. Between all the B-25 builds on here, I think people have completed enough different sections that if you were all working on the same kit, we'd have one finished :)

I saw the Ink Squirts scheme on their website as well and thought it would be different. I've pretty much decided to do my gun nose strafer as Betty's Dream (my wife likes the look of it) but the glass nose one I'm still undecided on.

Carl

You're probably right. I think that we're all working on different parts of the plane, which is pretty cool. I just think it's great that so many people are working on this kit.

Betty's Dream is a cool scheme for the strafer, I'm just hoping that they might scale down the Ink Squirts decals, since I don't think I have space for another 1/32 Mitchell, but maybe I can do the Hasegawa kit in 1/72.

Thanks for reading in.

Matt,

Kind of off topic but what drum corp is represented in your avatar?

Guess I'll be looking for you at our club's contest this Sat. You bringing the Me 262 you said you just completed?

Mark H

Don't worry about it Mark. It's the Santa Clara Vanguard, from right up the road from you. I spent three years with them.

Yes, I will be at the contest. I will have the Me-262, the Fokker D.VII, plus some smaller scale stuff I had previously finished. I am quite excited about the contest.

I've got a slight dilemma guys. I've been looking around at pictures of B-25s, and tripped across another scheme from Kits-World Decals. They do a B-25 glass nose called "The Ink Squirts" and it's one of the coolest schemes I've seen on a plane in a long time! It's covered in little cartoon characters, picture is attached on here.

inksquirts4_zps521ba00b.jpg

There are also cartoon characters near the tail as well. It's a cool scheme, but it's all NMF, and would require probably $100 worth of Alclad paint, and I'm not sure if I want that investment.

Any opinions? Keep it the same, or change up the scheme?

Matt

Hey there Matt. I have seen the pics of this one some time ago, and it included the tail pics too. it is awesome. But I think you should stick to Ave Maria. I think this would be a fantastic looking model. Its your choice, either would be good.............Harv