SBD-5 Dauntless colour scheme

My next project is a 1/32 Trumpeter SBD-5 Dauntless. I'm looking at an aircraft from the kit decal options, bombing squadron 16 (VB 16). There seems to be a little confusion over the colour scheme. As far as I'm aware the upper fuselage and wings are in sea blue, the mid fuselage in intermediate blue and the undersides in white. Some references give the 3 colour scheme but I've also seen a four colour ( the upper fuselage is a different blue to the upper wings. There is also confusion as to the demarcation lines between the fuselage colours. Any suggestions?

My next project is a 1/32 Trumpeter SBD-5 Dauntless. I'm looking at an aircraft from the kit decal options, bombing squadron 16 (VB 16). There seems to be a little confusion over the colour scheme. As far as I'm aware the upper fuselage and wings are in sea blue, the mid fuselage in intermediate blue and the undersides in white. Some references give the 3 colour scheme but I've also seen a four colour ( the upper fuselage is a different blue to the upper wings. There is also confusion as to the demarcation lines between the fuselage colours. Any suggestions?

The RNZAF flew SBD-5's with 25 Squadron in the Pacific, these were painted in the oft 'Described"

3 tone scheme which is in fact a 4 colour scheme. These aircraft were received direct from USN/MAG

reserves, and only repainting was addition of RNZAF Pacific Roundel and bars.

When the USN went from M-485 Blue Gray/ M-495 Light Gray to the new scheme it consisted of 4 colours as follows

ANA 607 Non-Specular Sea Blue: Top of fuselage section

ANA 606 Semi-Gloss Sea Blue: Upper wing and horizontal stabiliser

ANA 608 Intermediate Blue: Fuselage sides/Horizonatl Stabiliser (and lower part of outer wing for F4U-1only)

ANA 601 Insignia White: Lower section of aircraft fuselage/Wings/Horizontal Stabiliser

Early aircraft painted in "4" tone scheme also had the leading edge "graded" with ANA 607 and ANA 608.

This link gives you some good material and a paint guide (for TBF Avenger but will help)

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/avengertricolorschemekw_1.htm

This link though for RNZAF SBD's, if you scroll to the bottom you get some good info on the 4 Tone scheme

that hopefuly will help you

http://rnzaf.hobbyvista.com/sbdcol2.html

Hope that helps

Regards

Alan

Edited by LDSmodeller

I never heard of the use of the semi-gloss sea blue Alan. Mind if I ask where that information comes from?

The links provided cite the US Navy's SR-2C "Specification for Exterior Colors, Insignia and Markings of Naval Aircraft" dated 5 January, 1943.

HTH,

D

The links provided cite the US Navy's SR-2C "Specification for Exterior Colors, Insignia and Markings of Naval Aircraft" dated 5 January, 1943.

HTH,

D

Yep, sure enough I hadn't looked at the links he provided. Considering though that sea blue is sea blue, regardless of reflectance, I'd still be inclined to refer to it as a three color scheme. I have all four volumes of the Monogram color guides, perhaps I need to catch up on my reading. The volume that probably/may best cover this would be #2, 1940-1949

Monogram Navy & Marine corps color guide

• 10 years later...

Hello everyone and greetings from Italy, I found this old topic searching for info about my next project, the SBD-5 Dauntless from Trumpeter.

My idea is a weathered aircraft with US Navy 3 colors scheme, any suggestion about a good photographic reference?

Thanks eveyone.

• 2 weeks later...

4 color USN paint scheme:

1.   Non-specular Sea Blue: Upper surfaces of fuselage and leading edges of wings and horizontal flying surfaces.

2.  Semi-gloss Sea Blue: Upper surfaces of wings and horizontal flying surfaces.

3.  Non-specular Intermediate Blue: Side surfaces of fuselage and vertical flying surfaces. Outboard under-sides of wings, at wing fold, on F4U Corsair and SB2c Helldiver (until overall Gloss Sea Blue scheme).

4.  Non-specular Insignia White: Under surfaces of fuselage, wings(except F4U and SB2C, see above) and horizontal flying surfaces .

HTH,

Damian

gytCzS.jpg

5J1R0U.jpg

wzvNYK.jpg

ZxAPc0.jpg

uxdx9X.jpg

fzrO0F.jpg

• 2 weeks later...