1/32 Hasegawa Bf109G-6 9/JG52, Hartmann 1942-43

Kahunaminor

Progress!!!

I have completed the cockpit, joined the fuselage sides and added the front and rear canopies. The tail plug has been attached and isn't too bad:

002-14_zpsc1c0ac21.jpg

I have started to fill and sand the two horizontal engine panel lines that are included in the Hasegawa moulds but are not there in real life. CA was used, allowed to set and sanded. There is still a bit to go.

003-14_zps6b89e070.jpg

The map lights were added to each side and wired in. Two "grab" handles were added to the upper forward canopy frame. The interior frames of the canopies were masked and painted using the Eduard masks. They had to be put on reversed from the usual positions to take into account the inside shape. Once dry the masks were and fitted to the external location the "right way" up!

005-11_zpsee89aac2.jpg

The shoulder harness attachment point is from the kit. I drilled two small holes just forward of the bracket and inserted two pieces of thin lead wire into these holes with CA. The harness attachment points were then slipped over and the wire bent and trimmed to size.

006-12_zps4d940476.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Regards,

Slowly the work continues...

The wing spar supports have been added:

002-14_zps5bc02c7d.jpg

I had read on another build the MDC cockpit had caused a little fitting problem with the spar so I was concerned but it came to naught. More by luck than my input I fear! I also fixed a small gap in the PORT cockpit wall by inserting a couple of pieces of card against the fuselage wall to bring the MDC piece into alignment:

017-2_zps41dbd95d.jpg

The MG131 ejection ports were in need of a facelift as they come as just two square indentations in a plug for the lower fuselage on the kit part. So I got some AM ones from MDC. They are simple drop in and there is no need to remove them from the casting block. I removed the plastic from the ejection port holes in the plug with a micro chisel. I then hacked away at the plastic on the lower fuselage kit to give me a hole big enough and voila....

011-7_zps7b2203ae.jpg

The end product:

012-8_zps4e413eef.jpg

I was also keen to remedy the oil cooler so I got a resin one from Eagleparts. It is well cast as one can see and is also a drop in replacement:

003-14_zpsd4e673d4.jpg

The instructions are quite specific and involved some surgery to remove the plastic out to the panel lines:

004-11_zps60d26457.jpg

The resulting fit isn't bad:

006-12_zpsde3791e8.jpg

008-8_zps7f1653fe.jpg

Neither the lower fuselage panel nor the new oil cooler are set in yet but just shoehorned into position. Luckily, I am at that stage because I was a little robust in removing the plastic from the front end of the opening and I have been left with a nasty gap which will need some minor plasticard surgery:

016-5_zpsd29a6761.jpg

014-6_zps14f8f822.jpg

The plan is to attach these parts, do some more fettling on the fuselage joins and then a coat of primer to see how it sits. If all goes well then I will let the fuselage alone and do some riveting whilst I also work on the wings and wheel wells.

Thanks for looking!

Regards

• 1 month later...

Hmmm been quite a while hasn't it?

Had some C3/4 disc surgery and still in recovery phase so work has been very slow but I did manage to progress, just not post, on this build. I have some quick updates ready to go and in short, major construction is completed and I am at the painting stage. Here are a couple of teasers and I will post more shortly as a colleague of mine has reminded me it's time to get the dog and pony show onwards!

001-12_zps7d3be72e.jpg

003-14_zpscf50ed42.jpg

006-12_zpsa2c27f55.jpg

010-9_zps7e82e544.jpg

011-7_zps86b697cf.jpg

Regards,

Thanks for the kind comments,

The upside of the RB wheel wells. They really enhance the kit when finally installed:

007-12_zpsdbd2a5cd.jpg

006-12_zpsa2c27f55.jpg

The down side of the RB wheel wells is that I did a little "over enthusiastic" carving to remove the kit parts:

008-8_zps88ad97f7.jpg

The idea to rivet went out the window (maybe next time). The wings and tailplane are attached. The wheel wells have been painted RLM02, gloss coated and masked with damp tissue. The RB radiators have been installed in the wings. The theatre markings on the wingtips and under the engine have been painted RLM 04 and masked. The RLM76 base colour has been applied to the lower surfaces and the fuselage sides. The fuselage sides have been masked in preparation for the upper wing camouflage. This is where she sits at the moment:

007-12_zpsd4883daa.jpg

The wing leading edge looks a bit better here!

005-11_zpsd8c900d3.jpg

004-11_zps588a8424.jpg

The interiors of the leading edge spoilers and wing inserts have been painted 02, masked and the spoilers are just sitting in place with some blu tak to hold them. Once the upper camouflage has been done they will be removed, unmasked and attached permanently.

The theatre marking for the rear fuselage has been cut from Tamiya tape and masked in the pattern of the decal. RLM04 and hopefully once the masking is removed the decal will just sit over the top:

009-10_zps284cdaa3.jpg

The MLG:

010-9_zps55594dee.jpg

012-8_zps673e1d66.jpg

The spinner:

011-7_zps8e3fee0c.jpg

RLM70 with a RLM21 quarter. A little bit of overspray so needs touching up!

Thanks for looking!

Regards,

Kent

Edited by Kahunaminor

Some more progress!

Thanks to those that are actively following and all those who may lurk!!

The RLM74 has been roughly sprayed on the wings and tailplanes. I will mask with rolls of blu tak and damp tissue to refine the demarcations. I want a soft but not uncontrolled edge:

024-1_zps2433ac25.jpg

032-1_zps85499a1c.jpg

I have also completed the construction and painting of the MDC spinner and props. I then completed it again as I dropped the lot and it came apart!! It has been gloss coated and a sludge wash applied and removed. The next step is a matt coat and then some slight weathering on the leading edges and the backs of the blades:

025_zpscb457e0a.jpg

The MLG has also had another gloss coat, sludge wash and cat hair removal:

026-1_zps221867d1.jpg

The QB exhausts have had a coat of Gunze burnt iron:

027_zps807b0460.jpg

028-1_zps79a0ce58.jpg

The RB photoetched canopy is probably the pick of this update. I am really pleased with how it has turned out. There is a slight colour difference between the inner RLM66 and the outer RLM74 which does just show up. It has also had a sludge wash and will have matt coat applied before I add the individual clear panels:

029-1_zpsa9966b15.jpg

030_zpsb565d233.jpg

031_zpscb561b5d.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Regards,

Edited by Kahunaminor