1/32 Hasegawa Bf109G-6 9/JG52, Hartmann 1942-43

Kahunaminor

• 2 weeks later...

Well it has been a while...

My sneaky wife and friends conspired to arrange a secret 50th for me (gotta love that 'em) so I have been duly busy for a while.

The base camouflage has been done. I still have some right index finger control issues post surgery, so I used the blu tak snake method and masked with wet tissue, yet somehow I still managed to get some tiny overspray!! Not a bother as these can be tidied up when I add the mottle next:

023_zpsa5b3664c.jpg

024-1_zps2943f21d.jpg

The masking of the yellow on the fuselage has been removed. Fingers crossed the decal will sit right over it!

025_zps4b2922e8.jpg

The underside unmasked! I have left the tailplanes as I will need them during mottling:

028-1_zps276843eb.jpg

031_zps86935a0c.jpg

The PORT side:

040_zps3a57a714.jpg

An overview:

041_zps4d4cc3cb.jpg

043_zps47646cb2.jpg

I lightened the colours and went over them in streaks to create a subtle difference. Hopefully after the micro mesh and some mottling, the top coats will blend them in a bit. Now onto the mottling!!

Thanks for looking...

Edited by Kahunaminor

Great stuff Kent

I have a couple of these sat on my bench right now, so watching your progress is a bit of an inspiration.

The MDC 'pit is great isn't it... only thing is to do the detail justice (which you have).

I do look forward to your subsequent progress on the mottling.

Matt

• 4 weeks later...

Kent:

be carefull with the decals from the kit...... Its not of good quality :BANGHEAD2: :BANGHEAD2: :BANGHEAD2:

Kent:

be carefull with the decals from the kit...... Its not of good quality :BANGHEAD2: :BANGHEAD2: :BANGHEAD2:

Fear not! I have the Eaglecals set and will be using them. I also have some Montex masks en route so they may be the go.

I have made some significant progress and will post soon!

Thanks for looking.

Progressing slowly. All the major assembly and painting is complete and the sub assemblies well along. I went back and lowered the camouflage on the fuselage sides:

001_zps1bc086fb.jpg

002_zpsea7cc598.jpg

003_zps1da0fbbb.jpg

You will notice the Mk1a (modified) match is used to good effect to hold the belly up off the ground!

004_zpse62e501a.jpg

The exhausts are just placed for effect and not yet cemented in place. The business end:

005_zps2896ba39.jpg

The flip side:

008_zpsb6804eee.jpg

010_zpsf6e78241.jpg

A closer shot of the EE parts:

015_zpsbe5b3b9f.jpg

016_zps707a3aab.jpg

The lower sections will be attached shortly. A shot of the RB radiator back plates:

018_zpsdda195b1.jpg

The gloss coat is a couple of thin coats of Testors Glosscote from the rattle can. Next up is decaling and then weathering.

Thanks for looking!

Regards,

Edited by Kahunaminor

Thanks for looking in. I have started decaling and have hit a slight hurdle:

004_zps4673391e.jpg

The decals are very, very bright! Obviously the yellows don't match! I am using the EagleCals EC36 which calls for 04 as the yellow used. I have painted using Aeromaster Warbirds enamel RLM 04 on the theatre markings. It thought the EagleCals may be closer RLM 27, so I got out a bottle of Aeromaster Acrylic RLM 27 and daubed some on the decal sheet. It was closer but still darker than the decals.

Do I:

A. Mask and paint the decals RLM 04?

B. Mask and paint the theatre markings RLM 27 and try and colour match?

C. Remove decals and use Montex Masks to paint RLM 04?

Painting the decals will be fiddly but will give me the colour match with 04. Painting the theatre markings is less fiddly but will require some finagling with the colours. Removing the decals and using Montex masks will mean delaying the finish 9and there is a ZM He 219 waiting). Holy paint dilemma Batman!!

So I am going to continue decaling the stencils and ponder the yellow question. Discuss.....

Regards,

Edited by Kahunaminor

Kent, if it were me, I'd go for Option D: Leave it as is. But of the choices you did offer, probably B would be the easiest. I wouldn't do A without the assistance of C.

Kev

Hi Kev,

I actually considered putting in an option D just after posting! Hmmm...it does make sense! I have sent a query to Jerry by email and linked here for his input.

Edited by Kahunaminor

Do you have an image of the actual aircraft to see if the colours match exactly?

I don't know the particulars, but if either the theatre band or personal markings were applied at a different time they could well be different shades due to fading.

Personally, I much prefer the paint colour to the decal colour. RLM04 has a much richer tone to it I've always felt with an orange-ness to it...the Eagle Cals decals look (in your photo at least) almost lemon yellow, very bright and a little insipid against the band....

How about spraying some decal film with your RLM04 and carefully placing them over the yellow portions of the Eagle Cals decal....?

Matt

Do you have an image of the actual aircraft to see if the colours match exactly?

I don't know the particulars, but if either the theatre band or personal markings were applied at a different time they could well be different shades due to fading.

Personally, I much prefer the paint colour to the decal colour. RLM04 has a much richer tone to it I've always felt with an orange-ness to it...the Eagle Cals decals look (in your photo at least) almost lemon yellow, very bright and a little insipid against the band....

How about spraying some decal film with your RLM04 and carefully placing them over the yellow portions of the Eagle Cals decal....?

Matt

Hi Matt,

Eagle supplies a b/w photo with the decals and for my eye the yellows should match (as they do on the callout). I have shot an email to Jerry to se if there is any other information. I agree with you and prefer the 04 colour to the decals. Regrettably I don't have any decal film but I may just await the masks remove the decals.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Regards,

I have to agree with Kevin, option D is what I'd go for. I think the difference between the fuselage band and the unit markings makes for a more visually interesting look. While hardly an expert in Luftwaffe aircraft I would suspect that the fuselage band and the unit markings would probably have been painted at different times allowing colour shift due to weathering and field conditions. Just my thoughts.......I'd leave it as is.

Cheers,

Wolf

My thanks to all that have proffered advice both here and on other forums.

I have completed the decaling with the Eaglecals and I have (for once) resisted the temptation to rush and have set the a/c aside to dry for a few hours. They performed well and the only error were of my own making. Naturally, just as I completed the decaling, the Montex Masks arrived and as I feared they are taken from the Hasegawa decals so the required masks are too short and squat! This also gives me time to consider my options.

I must say that the yellow colour differentiation is becoming less noticeable, more so with the remainder of the national markings and stencils so I may leave well enough alone. I will post some pictures soon.

Regards,

Kent