Aerotech Supermarine S4 Finished!

ericg

• 2 weeks later...

I have done a bit more work on the S4. I put this model on hold for a while as I was confronted with a problem that I wanted to fix properly instead of just a patch job.

As the model needed a lot of sanding and filling with primer, some of the lovely round fastener heads were rubbed out. As the resin parts are from MDC, I thought that it may be appropriate to purchase the MDC 1/32nd rivet maker tool. I found the indentations to be pretty well an exact match! (surprise, surprise).

Here is the problem

IMAG1851.jpg

I got this tool from MDC

IMAG1853.jpg

IMAG1854.jpg

and here is the solution

IMAG1855.jpg

Edited by ericg

Well the moment that I was dreading with this build has finally arrived, the painting stage.

I have never done a civil bird or any gloss aircraft before, and have always hated doing white, so I knew I would have to come up with something different this time. As I wanted the paint to be high shine, I knew it would have to be polished, so the issue of breaking through the surface of the paint was something I was keen to avoid.

The other issue is how to not make it look like a toy, so my traditional way of finishing a model will require a new method

First was to give it a couple of decent coats of MR surfacer 1000 from the spray can. Initially I though I was going to use this just as a primer. After I rubbed it back I was pleased to find that the primer was in fact smoothing out into a glossy finish with ever finer grades of sandpaper. I then decided to unleash the dremel.

Take one dremel, equip it with a polishing bit. Then apply small amounts of the Tamiya Coarse polishing compound.

IMAG1876.jpg

Here is the result. It was very hard to get good pics of the super shine as the contrast of the white was blowing out my phone/camera settings. To say that I am over the moon with how good this has come out is an understatement.

IMAG1873.jpg

IMAG1870.jpg

IMAG1879.jpg

Guest Peterpools

Eric

Beautiful work on buffing out white to a deep, gloss finish. I never had the slightest doubt you wouldn't pull it of.

Hope you don't mind, as I tried to bring out the whites for you. Being a JPEG and not a RAW file, there isn't a lot of information to work with but I was able to bring out more of the gloss white.

IMAG1873-2.jpg

Edited by Peterpools

Very nice work Eric! I used Mr White Surfacer on my 767 as both primer and top coat. It's great stuff if you want a smooth, tough white without a lot of effort. I'll have to give the Dremel polishing technique a go on my next airliner. Looking good!

Kev

Hi Kev, the minimum RPM on the cordless Dremel is 5000 rpm, same as my big corded one. I think the difference is that at low rpms, the cordless one doesn't have a huge amount of torque, so it doesn't have a tendancy to burn through.

Another quick update, I had planned to do quite a bit on the S4 today but got called into work. I did mask off the forward fuselage though and get it ready for the Alclad black base.

IMAG1892.jpg

Paint applied, now the nervous part.... did the masking tape rip off the white paint?/did the black creep under the tape?/did I get overspray?

IMAG1893.jpg

It all came out pretty good in the end. I unmasked the black part so I could polish the black base, and also check for flaws before I go back and colour it in with varying shades of Alclad aluminium.

In a moment of sheer madness, I took to the black alclad with the dremel again and it actually polished to an almost mirror finish. I went back and touched up a couple of areas after these pics were taken as I noticed a couple of rough spots.

IMAG1900.jpg

I retouched some areas and gave it another polish. Next up is the application of the alclad aluminium. In this photo you can just make out the raised effect of the blended panel of the wingroot. I actually masked this off when I initially primed the model and gave it a heavier than normal coat of primer such that when it is finished, it will look like an aluminium panel that overlaps the wooden wing.

IMAG1906.jpg

IMAG1905.jpg

I am going to see if I can pull off what I did with my Phantom a while ago when I gave Alclad a go for the first time. Sorta like the bare metal panels found on the rear of my model here:

P5190051.jpg

Edited by ericg

That looks fantastic mate! It's giving me new impetus to get going with my Hughes racer. How did you manage to find a corded Dremel that goes down to 5k? As it is, I can't find a cordless one these days; nobody seems to stock them.

Kev