WnW Pfalz D.IIIa Finished.

ericg

Guest Peterpools

Eric

Nice delicate touch on the weathering. Looking fantastic. What's the secret? :thumbsup:

Peter :popcorn: :popcorn:

Edited by Peterpools

For whatever it's worth, I just added this book to the database. This, along with the other title dedicated to the D.XII, gives some great combined data for this cool looking machine.

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/reference/details.php?title=3531

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/reference/details.php?title=2726

(If you don't already own them, they're highly recommended.)

After a major struggle with Photobucket, I have come up with something else. Hope this works.

I have tried a different technique to achieve the `look' that I am chasing, that is, an aircraft that has seen a bit of action, operating from gras/mud strips and that is generally weathered but reasonably well looked after. Also I wanted to depict it as having just finished a sortie.

Starting with the top wing. I wanted to give this a streaked and faded effect that would show signs of rain running down the wings

I loaded up a stiff bristle brush with black and flicked it all over the top surface of the wing:

IMAG1230.jpg

Left dry for an hour then blended with a clean thick brush full of thinner:

IMAG1232.jpg

Left dry for a while longer and further blended:

IMAG1234.jpg

Onto the fuselage.

I applied the same technique as above to the centre section of the fuselage and blended it to give it a bit of history

IMAG1225.jpg

I reckon that alot of stuff would have flicked up from the wheels onto the bottom of the wings so I mixed up a dirty brown mix

IMAG1231.jpg

Blended into the paint with the undercarriage fitted

IMAG1236.jpg

A different angle, the thinner really gives it a washed out effect and also blend it into the paint very well.

IMAG1235.jpg