WnW Pfalz D.IIIa Finished.

ericg

Guest Peterpools

H Wolf

You're really showing you4 age .... I was class of '65 in high school .....

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

• 4 weeks later...

Well I just got the Gas Patch turnbuckles today. I contacted the company and asked if they would like me to review their product and I was pleasantly surprised to receive all 3 types today in the mail. I would like to go on record as saying that this product is exceptional in the way it depicts turnbuckles, and I believe that they will revolutionise the way that we tackle rigging as they cast a shadow over all other products. Here are pictures of my initial look at what I received. I will email LSP Kev my review as soon as it is completed. They are available from here:

http://www.gaspatchmodels.com/

Let them know that you saw them on LSP!

IMAG1497.jpg

IMAG1512.jpg

they come in groups of 30

IMAG1499.jpg

Here are the three different types of turnbuckle, seperated from their `sprue'

IMAG1500.jpg

Threaded with EZ-line.

IMAG1508.jpg

Edited by ericg

Wow! These new turnbuckles look superb. Given a coat of paint and a wash, the detail should really "pop".

Eric, how would you say the look to scale? Are the 1/32nd scale versions right on the money or, like some other products (I'm thinking carbon fibre decals), do you think the 1/48th scale versions would look better on a 1/32nd scale model?

Thanks for the mini review. Interested to see more when you have them all done.

Cheers.

Without further ado, I have launched into the rigging stage now that I have the Gaspatch turnbuckles. Bear in mind that I haven't really done any rigging before, so I would consider this my first go.

Wow! These new turnbuckles look superb. Given a coat of paint and a wash, the detail should really "pop".

Eric, how would you say the look to scale? Are the 1/32nd scale versions right on the money or, like some other products (I'm thinking carbon fibre decals), do you think the 1/48th scale versions would look better on a 1/32nd scale model?

If these dont float your boat for scale look then I dont know what will!

Here is the undercarriage. I have blackened the buckles with black permanent marker before assembly as I think painting them will consume too much time and probably chip easier than the marker.

IMAG1514.jpg

IMAG1513.jpg

IMAG1518.jpg

IMAG1517.jpg

The rigging for the control cables.

IMAG1521.jpg

I thread the EZline through the eye of the buckle and twist it together. A small drop of super glue and a trim and it looks good.

IMAG1524.jpg

IMAG1526.jpg

I saw those gas patch turn buckles on Doog's model pages on Facebook earlier in the month, they do look amazing. I was wondering whether their instructions make it clear which style of turn buckle to use and when, do you need all three or are the turn buckle styles specific to particular aircraft and/or tasks.

Fair enough, I'm keen to give them ago but at 14.5 euro a set figured I'd need to aim or the right set. Will study instructions when the time comes but was hoping gas patch would offer some guidance, maybe you could suggest this in your review, they could add the info to their website

An eagle eyed reader over at a different forum spotted a mistake that I made with rigging the undercarriage, that is that there is only supposed to be one turnbuckle on each wire. I finally found a good reference and fixed it, and am much happier with the way it now looks.

IMAG1527.jpg

Edited by ericg

If these dont float your boat for scale look then I dont know what will!

Hi Eric, the turnbuckles look good to my untrained eye which is why I was asking your opinion. I don't have any reference photos to compare what they should look like as I generally don't build biplanes. It would appear that this is your first too, something I was unaware of when I asked my question.

I was keen to see that they do indeed represent the correct scale dimensions of the actual article. Regardless of whether or not they are correct, from your photos they look as good as I've ever seen on a model. Top job.

Edited by geedubelyer

Hi Eric,

The rigging on the Pfalz looks great and the GasPatch turnbuckles really make a big difference to the over all look. Well done Sir!

I just got my order of the GasPatch turnbuckles a few days ago and on initial inspection the look really good if not a little rough in texture. I was planning on spraying them with a Tamiya's grey primer and then a dark brass colour mix. Hopefully the primer with eliminate some of the rough texture and give the brass paint some additional bite. Looking at the turnbuckles with the naked eye, they don't look too bad. I have another brand of turnbuckles as well and the GasPatch ones look the best IMHO. They won't however work for British aircraft using BSF flat wire rigging.

Cheers,

Wolf

Edited by Wolf Buddee