Big Beautiful Doll: Tamiya P-51D Mustang

Guest Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Mark

Just went back and took a look and you're right, the post is on the small hinged door. The door is now three pieces.

Thanks

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Wolf

After reading your post and Marks, checked a few pics, the doors are now cut apart and I was wrong about the pocket, the hinged door has the post that slips into it.

Thanks

Peter

Can only echo what else has been said, you're knocking this one out of the park! Hopefully the gun bay cutting goes smoothly, I always have so much trepidation when slicing up an expensive kit, just in case I screw it up. But I'm sure you'll do fine.

You guys working nights are crazy. I'm still dreading when I start teaching as a profession, going 7-8am to who knows when, and getting paid next to nothing for it. Especially if I end up at an elementary school, where I'll be working at multiple places with small children learning music for the first time....

Keep up the amazing work.

Matt :party0023:

Guest Peterpools

Matt

Thanks for the positive thoughts on the Mustang. The gun bay doors are now three piece affairs. No biggie, I should have just caught it sooner.

Just take it easy and let that shoulder heal.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Update: Fitting sub-assemblies

Keeping the process moving along, it was time to install the flaps, horizontal stabilizers, elevators and tailwheel assembly. The tailwheel assembly was a bit semi bland and a few bits and pieces were added to perk it up a bit. The .50 cal tips assembly was dry fitted and slipped into place smartly. Most of the lower portion of the ducting under the Merlin was added, being finished with both Metalizers and Alclads, polished to a dull shine.

Once all these assemblies are permanently secured, it's onto enhancing the gear and cleaning up that area as well.

I can see primingbeing not to far down the road. I have my fingers crossed as nothing major will pop up it's ugly head.

Peter

Bits and pieces where added to add interest to the tail wheel assembly. The jury is still out as if more is needed.

PCW_3078.jpg

The .50 have been drilled out and are nice a snug while dry fitted in place.

PCW_3076.jpg

The wings and flaps needed a bit of attention to fit nice and tight. I found that the leading edge by the fuselage just wouldn't sit down perfectly and poking around under the wing, I discovered I installed one of the engine assembly pipes in the wrong locating hole. Once reset into the right place, the wing slid nicely into place.

PCW_3077.jpg

Gun bay doors corrected and fit fine. A bit of painting is still needed to clean up the edges.

PCW_3075.jpg

Edited by Peterpools

Hi Peter,

Don't paint first time the Stripes, becouse the Gunze Silver don't like the basic colours. Yesterday, when I painted the silver, again bites the basic paint. I wash off the all kit. today I start with the silver and only after I start the stripes.

Your Mustang going well, nices the gun bays :) I will make the yellow (yellow zinc chromate) shades on my kit too.

sincerely:HADman / Feri

Edited by HADman