Big Beautiful Doll: Tamiya P-51D Mustang

Guest Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Guys

Appreciated the kind words on BBD. Right now, just waiting for a mask set from Ian and a my ammo crates from Jerry. Then I can add the missing few details and she is done.

In the meantime, work has begun on my WNW Albatros - another spectacular kit.

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

• 3 months later...
Guest Peterpools

Marus

Yes, the masks arrived but I'm holding off right now, as I'm trying to finish up two projects, with one being for a friend. Then I'm devoting myself to doing another Tamiya Mustang, which was waiting for me right next to my front door yesterday. I'll add the balance of the parts and the tail ID numbers while building the new Mustang.

Can just never have enough Mustangs.

gallery_1001_zpsbe8253fd.jpg

Edited by Peterpools

• 1 month later...

I am in the middle of tackling this kit myself. Big Beautiful Doll is my favorite but the cowling checkers are a little intimidateing the point I am considering doing another marking set. You mentioned that you wish you would have done the checkers one strip at a time. Do you mean cut on the lines between the checker or something different? Would you do the whole cowling that way? Did you cut between the cowling pieces lines before or after applying the decals? Do yo have any other advice that may help me? Thanks

Guest Peterpools

Aircav

Thanks for going back and looking at BBD. I am assuming you're building the Tamiya kit and are using Eagle Editions EagleCals decals, which were my weapon of choice. The decals are fantastic, very thin, cover well and are in perfect register. The problem I had was getting each large section of the checkerboard into place and while making fine adjustments, I would twist or slightly moving another part of the section out of place. Half way through, I found it easier ti cut each section of the checkerboard decals into strips, one or two rows wide. Now I could place them exactly in position and if needed, slightly move them around without effecting any other portion of the cowling decals. Hope this helps. Looking forward to seeing your BBD.

Edited by Peterpools

Yes, I am using the Tamiya kit with Eaglecal decals. It does help alot. My only other question is did you cut between the removable engine cowling before or after applying the decals? I have heard people recommend both ways. Also, what canopy do you use? I cannot tell from the pictures which is the corecto one. Thanks for you help.

Guest Peterpools

Aircav

All four cowl sections were attached to the Mustang for decaling. I applied the checkerboard decals to the top cowl first, then to both sides and lastly the bottom section. I sure had I cut the decals into strips, the process would have been much faster, less stressful and needed a lot less fussing with.

I'll have to go back and take a look at which canopy I used, as BBD, really isn't any of the options Tamiya offers in the kit.