Big Beautiful Doll: Tamiya P-51D Mustang

Guest Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Derek ..

Much appreciated

Darren

Thanks for the kind words. Somehow in the photos, the Merlin finish looks a bit spotty and I'm planning on giving it an wet coat of semi gloss today, if it ever stops raining.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

UPDATE: STARTING TO COME TOGETHER

With the Merlin, intake ducting and radiators completed, I started to test fit all the major components, just checking to see what fits and what doesn't. Luckily, the fit has been pretty good and of course I do keep breaking and knocking small parts off. The latest casualty was the throttle and I'll glue it back on later tonight. It was time to start painting the plumbing and some of the ducting, which was done with Alclad Stainless Steel, just for adding an additional color variation to the nose area. The engine mounts have been paint zinc chromate and aluminum, with a light wash still to be done. MM GZC is a bit too green and I should have added a few drops of YZC to the mix. Maybe I'll figure out a way to do it with the wash as well. See what happens. I need to play around with the RAW files a bit more in LR4, as the light weathering has 'washed out' in the photos. I'll be more careful with the next update. Small parts still need to be added and then the fuselage will be glued up.

I haven't been sleeping much these past few weeks and work most nights until about 1 AM. Good thing I have the Mustang to keep me company

Peter

PCW_3009.jpg

PCW_3008.jpg

PCW_3007.jpg

PCW_3010.jpg

Edited by Peterpools

You have a stack of million dollar bills. Why would you be working when you've got that kind of cash around to just prop up models with?

Seriously though, this looks great. This looks like a stellar kit, and you're doing an amazing job.

One question, what kind of camera and photo equipment are you using? The photos are awesome, much nicer than the ones I take.

Matt :party0023:

Guest Peterpools

Thanks guys ... much appreciated

I have stacks of the cash and the just so happen to be the right height for propping up the Mustang.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Hi Matt

Photography ... another hobby.

I normally use the following equipment:

Nikon D7000

Nikon F2.8 10MM5 Micro for extreme close ups or Nikon F1.4 50MM

Electronic cable release

Gitzo tripod w/ a Kirk Ballhead

Most importantly isn't the equipment but the procedure:

Use a tripod and cable release to prevent shaking, keep things razor sharp and allow for long shutter speeds

Set your camera at the lowest ISO as possible for sharpness . I use ISO 100

Use the highest F stop as possible for maximum depth of field and sharpness from front to back of the model. I use F36 for the 105MM and F16 for the 50MM

I set the camera for: Aperture Priority, Matrix Metering, White Balance: Incandescent Light, focus manually and I am shooting RAW files not JPEG.

I use 3 floods for lighting with 100 watt bulbs.

I use Adobe Lightroom 4 for processing and pp work.

Hope I didn't get to technical but any camera will work as long as it allows you to control what is going on. Controlling depth of field and lighting are the two mot important aspects of model photography.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Sometimes it takes longer to set up, shoot the images, put everything away and the the post production work, then the modeling itself.

Of course, this added to the modeling and work, leaves little time to sleep.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

UPDATE: TEST FITTING THE FINAL FUSELAGE COMPONENTS

Been plugging away at finishing the final fuselage and engine bay components before moving onto the wings and wheel wells. Because Tamiya provides for removable engine cowls and working canopy, a number of extra parts are required, so that the parts will be removable.This makes for some extra work and a little more tinkering in getting things to fit. Right now, most of the framing and plumbing for the engine compartment is just dry fitted in place and the same applies for the area just behind the canopy, which is a removable part as well. Plans are for BBD: no movable or replaceable parts. The antenna on the vertical stabilizer is in and I'm betting even money, I manage to bend and hopefully not break it during the balance of construction.

I also started playing around with different NMF shades for the various engine bay parts and both Alclad and MM Metaizers were used and buffed out.

A few more parts still need to be test fitted before permanently fixing everything in place.

Peter

Overall photo from nose to tail - part fit so far has been very good.

PCW_3013.jpg

PCW_3014.jpg

PCW_3019.jpg

All the screw holes in the framing has been drilled out and the framing itself was a bit a work to get into place, but once there, fits fine.

A good number of small parts including the canopy runners have not been installed and I'll wait until the last minute, trying to avoid knock them off. So far, most of the small parts that I did install, about a 1/4 I managed to knock off, including the throttle.

PCW_3016.jpg

PCW_3015.jpg

The ducting under the Merlin was a tight fit but it too is just being test fitted and not yet glued in

PCW_3022.jpg

Edited by Peterpools