Revell MiG 29 9-12

ladder4boy

Hi all.. The delusional idea behind tackling this build started as an offhanded comment by a fellow modeler at my LHS, turned into a dare, and pretty much snowballed from there.. I've spent about a month collecting reference material, a kit, and aftermarket for this baby, now it's time to start hacking up a perfectly flawed kit!

I'll be using the Revell kit as a donor for the Zacto correction set, the eduard interior/exterior set, more zacto stuff later in the project (pylons and missiles and wheels, oh my!), the QuickBoost seat.. uhm.. begemont decals, and a ton of styrene bits and pieces to scratch build the cockpit and wheel bays, so now might be a good time to buy stock in Evergreen.

I was originally planning on building a plane from 1521st training squadron at Mary AB in the aggressor scheme, but might change that to one from the 120th guardian fighter regiment from Domna.. that one's growing on me more and more.. especially since it'll be less work as it's a later model 9-12 and i won't have to scratch build the ventral fins and hack off the flare dispensers on the Zacto set.. time will tell.

There's some big challenges ahead on this baby.. time to find out if i'm a "modeler" or "assembler"

Lets get started, shall we?

photobucket-6675-1343251405581.jpg

any and all comments on this build are greatly appreciated! especially if your name is Karl, Theirry, Andy, Alexander, Chris, Kevin, or Dave and you see me getting ready to do something really stupid.

Cheers,

Jerry

the best place to start?? the rear end! here we have the kit parts with a black wash to show the kit panel lines and rivets..

photobucket-8797-1343264047229.jpg

most of them are pretty accurate according to the sets of drawings i have.. there's just a good bit that needs to be added, and the inside and outside of the tails are different, as are the port and starboard tails, as they cant outward, while the flare dispensers cant inwards to fire the flares towards the center. after giving the entire kit a rub down with black (i use dry erase markers, let it dry, then wipe off the excess with a paper towel.. it stays in the panel lines and rivets pretty good and comes off with an alcohol wipe down) i decided i should probably have used red, as when i covered up some of the panel lines and rivets with super glue, they're now black and won't dissapear when i give the new wipe down to show all my hard work :doh: . lesson learned. anyhow, this is our starting point. cutting the rudders off and correcting those, correcting the shape of the tail, adding panel lines and rivet lines to them and adding the zacto flare dispensers next.. update coming soon.

cheers,

Jerry

Thanks Karl... i've got a pretty good game plan in order right now, but i'm sure there will be a ton of changes before all is said and done! I have the entire weekend off, so i'm hoping to get a good start then, and just grind through all the problems as they arise.. I managed to get a good bit of the tail worked out last night...just need to actually scribe and rivet them now and try to find some more pics of the ventral fins to see how to work that issue out.

Cheers

Hi Jerry,

I absolutely love your modelling tools

Greetings

Rainer

:speak_cool:

In the voice of Tim Allen......"More power ugh ugh......" :lol:

I think I'll follow along on this one Jerry. Good luck. :coolio:

Edited by geedubelyer

Thanks for looking in guys! Was going to put the Portable Plasma cutter and "jaws of life" from work in that pic, but i thought that might have been overkill. haven't had much time to work on this during the week, but i have the next 3 days off so i'm gonna do some marathon session work on it. Reworking the tails now and it's coming along fairly nicely. Revell plastic is a joy to re-scribe and rivet. Thanks for the interest so far guys!

Mark.. the Decals for the Tomcat came in today.. many thanks again! they look awesome. Hopefully i'll save enough by the time i finish this build to buy all the AM stuff i need for THAT build.

I'll have pics by tomorrow for sure..

Cheers guys

okay.. small update.. rivet detail on port tail.. inside will be the same but with a few more access panels..

photobucket-8670-1343501648708.jpg

the faint and/or red lines are the old panel lines that got filled.. the smaller rivets are new.. most of them are faint yet visible in the pictures i've seen, but some will need to be made larger still. a couple of rivet lines aren't evenly spaced.. i'll fix that later this evening with some super-glue and then re-rivet. still need to hack the rudder off, cut some off the bottom of the tail, and fix the top with a bit of an extension, re-work the radars a bit, and fix the rudder attachment points, fill some more, sand some more, and add the Zacto flare launcher to the front.

yeah.. i saw that.. it is nice, but 2 beautiful ones came in the zacto correction set with the nose correction. they're resin too tho, so if i keep breaking them i may well opt for the master one later on down the road.

cheers

• 2 weeks later...