B-25 aftermarket -- What else would you like to see?

Propwash

Thats the easiest way I would think too!

Plus I just checked the scans of my B-25 package... Just arrived into Auckland from Sprues...so I should have it tomorrow! I can't complain! it only took 7 days!

Edited by moeggo

Would it be better / easier to make a ZM / Jerry R style flattened resin tire/tyre that maybe fit the OOB H-K hub?

Brian, you just hit the nail on the head. This would be the most inexpensive and easiest way to go.

Having looked at some pictures of the B-25 on't net, and there appear to be very few period pictures of the aircraft - they are mostly of restored aircraft. The only hub discs I can find seems to be confined to the left side of the nose wheel, with the main wheels left uncovered (unless some one has any other photographs to the contrary).

I think that a solid resin wheel would work OK, as in-service aircraft had fairly dirty hubs (brake dust and soiled), so the brake packs are not readily visible) - this may make life easier for Harold?

As far as alternative tyre tread is concerned, it is difficult to find any clear pictures, but I guess that they are mostly of the kit supplied diamond tread pattern, although I did find a single photograph of a studded patterned tyre (see below).

Them4.jpg

Derek

Edited by Derek B

I found a photo of the Doolittle B-25's tied down on the flight deck. One of the closer shots show the tires with no treads! I don't know if it is just the photo, or they actually had them shaved? I have to look at more refs.

I have now seen the nose tires in small diamond shape, brick layer pattern and larger cross-hatch.

I found a photo of the Doolittle B-25's tied down on the flight deck. One of the closer shots show the tires with no treads! I don't know if it is just the photo, or they actually had them shaved? I have to look at more refs.

I have now seen the nose tires in small diamond shape, brick layer pattern and larger cross-hatch.

I just found another brick lay pattern on the main wheels of a B-25J, however, it was photographed in the early '50s.

I also found some maintenance photos stating that there were a smooth tread design used as well. That explains the Doolittle tires I suppose.

There was a grooved tread design with a row of diamond shaped outer sidewalls.

So, there were actually several designs used....BUT, what time frames?

Edited by Harold

How about underwing bomb racks and rocket launchers? I'm building mine as a PBJ-1J and will build the rader pod from scratch. However, rader pods for both the nose and wingtip would be nice as well.

Once again I'd like to put in a plug for the outstanding reference North American B-25 Mitchell The Ultimate Look: From Drawing Board to Flying Arsenal. Inside you'll find several close-up pictures of wheels and tires, some even in color. Even though the brightness and clarity of the color almost seems too good to be true for seventy-five year old photos, the captions identify them as factory photos, which is further verified by the presence of workers in 40s attire. These photos are an invaluable primary reference for the modeler.

As for the tires, the diamond tread pattern is the one most commonly seen in the photos, but there are also some tires with parallel grooves.

Jerry Peterson

There were some fantastic colour photos of a line ups of B-25 (B's?) from the factory on the life photos... I can't find them now.. but I think one had a good shot with the tyres...

Nice to know that there were other tread pattrns used as well. Here is a nice picture of a B-25 nose leg with stdded patterened tyre.

B-25Wheel.jpg

For Harold - there were indeed smooth tread tyres used on the B-25.

b25-11.gif

(Pictures borrowed off the internet for illustration).

Derek

Edited by Derek B

Nice to know that there were other tread pattrns used as well. Here is a nice picture of a B-25 nose leg with stdded patterened tyre.

B-25Wheel.jpg

For Harold - there were indeed smooth tread tyres used on the B-25.

b25-11.gif

(Pictures borrowed off the internet for illustration).

Derek

I could be wrong but I have read a few times that smooth tires were commonly used in the production/ assembly areas to move landing gear components about without risking damage to the good tires. Once the gear was completed and installed the correct tires were fitted. I have never seen a B-25J in the theatre with smooth tires in all the photos I have seen and that is in the hundreds. I do know the early B-25's used in the Tokyo raid had very minimal tread on the tire.

Edited by Cunumdrum61

How about underwing bomb racks and rocket launchers? I'm building mine as a PBJ-1J and will build the rader pod from scratch. However, rader pods for both the nose and wingtip would be nice as well.

Yes,

Rocket launchers. On some of the 8 gunners that I'm be doing, most of them used them during the final phases of the war.