Punch set

Budman

Personally, I'm contemplating the UMM hex punch set. Looks a bit exe though, given there are only 4 punchs. Does anybody have that one?

Kev

Not yet, but I have the hex and small round set coming and will report on its arrival.

Bud

I have both sets, Historex and UMM.

The UMM comes with a round, deep, steel punch base. It's design, the depth, creates a solid foundation for the punch body because the body is set within a chamber. Each chamber is keyed, as are the punch bodies to that specific chamber. There is no chance of putting in the wrong body and no chance of the hex rotating out of position. There is no lateral stress forced upon the hex.

Of the Historex set, the hex fits into the plastic top. You have to hold the body. The body has to be straight. The hex absorbs lateral stress.

Other differences for me is that because the UMM base is opaque, one cannot see the strip prior to punching. The Historex one you can.

You first register the strip and drop the punch into place, which holds the strip in place.

Whereas the Historex base is wide, you can use wide strip and punch hex's side by side, etc. There seems to me to be less waste. Also you can better see what you are doing. The UMM base is round with the punching area removed from the sides so you can slip in the styrene strip. The removal of the sides creates a solid inner core but it also restricts the width of the strip you want to use.

The UMM offering is a more advanced design. After you bend one of the Historexes' hex, you'll wish you had the upgrade.

I'm glad I bought the UMM product.

Just my opinion.

Sincerely,

Mark

I am thinking about purchasing one of the punch set but wasn't sure which manufacture. After reading you guys comments I think I will go with yum-USA. Bit on the pricey side but I think it will tolerate my modeling abouse a lot better due to it's designe.

If there's an advantage to the Waldron sets, it's that (though pricey), punch sets can be ordered as replacements. I just recently mangled one of the micro punches, and will be ordering the corresponding replacement set soon.

Personally, I'm contemplating the UMM hex punch set. Looks a bit exe though, given there are only 4 punchs. Does anybody have that one?

Kev

Not yet but I have the hex and small punch sets on the way and will give a report on arrival.

Bud

Havnt looked at it in a while but I bought both the mini and the maxi UMM sets and last years US NATs. I believe the base on both of my sets is clear.............will have to check for sure though.

Both sets are very nice and work very well

Brian

I did a quick review of the CB Models punch set for Scale Plastic and Rail, and confirm it is excellent.

Talking with Chad now and trying to persuade him to do a hex set next

Will keep you posted with news if I get any

Cheers

Nick

'Talking with Chad now and trying to persuade him to do a hex set next'

There is a need for a micro set. The smallest hex of the 4 in the 4-hex set is .030 in diameter. Either Evergreen or Plastistruct make hex rods, maybe he can make hexs' that are differently dimensioned.

Sincerely,

Mark

I disagree

Trying to cut rod is a pain and difficult in the extreme to get ultra clean and identically sized pieces

Using your logic, there is no need for any 'nornal' P&D sets either, since regular rod is available in pretty much any size you want

I know many armour modellers who use hex sets extensively - the problem is they are difficult to find and / or price themselves such that they put people off

Given the price of the CB set and the above, I suggested a hex set

'Trying to cut rod is a pain and difficult in the extreme to get ultra clean and identically sized pieces'

Indeed, but it can be done.

'Using your logic, there is no need for any 'nornal' P&D sets either, since regular rod is available in pretty much any size you want'

I see what you are saying. My thought was more specific, rather than general in nature. You are right.

'I suggested a hex set'

May I suggest then a micro and macro set of hex punches? Or is your suggestion of a hex set all inclusive?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

no worries Mark

i think Chad is just mulling over things at present

do you think a hex version of the round one would work, with quite a lot of different sizes (12)?

at least that would stop the need to buy a mini and a maxi...

this is also why i am championing CB Models:

Roll Models shipping!!

OTHER FOREIGN COUNTRIES - MAIL ONLY

Others: 40% of Order

$25.00 Minimum Shipping Charge

PS here's the link to the review btw

http://www.scaleplasticandrail.com/kaboom/index.php/all-other-subjects/all-things-tools/75-all-other-tools/1411-punch-a-die-set-from-cb-model-products

Edited by nmayhew

.119 is 3mm. That's a big disc, to me, and a really large bolt. That may be fine for 1/24 and larger, but others would need to chime in on that. The only 1/24-1/25 kit I've built has been a Centurion, and the bolts were about 1mm, which were cast from the roadwheels and drive sprocket.

I would like to see smaller bolts introduced, .010, .020, .025, .030, and maybe the larger bolts removed. The .119, .127, .140, & .151.

The larger bolts in 1/32 scale would be, if I did this right, .119 = 3.8 inches, .127 = 4+ inches, .140 = 4.5 inches, and .151 = 4.8 inches. I don't know enough about airplanes to know if bolts this size are used, or would even be exposed for scratch building purposes.

For 1/24 - .119 = 2.8+, .127 = 3+, .140 = 3.4+-, & .151 = 3.6. Same thing applies here. I don't know . . . .

That's just my opinion. Others milage may vary.

Sincerely,

Mark

Roll Models shipping!!

OTHER FOREIGN COUNTRIES - MAIL ONLY

Others: 40% of Order

$25.00 Minimum Shipping Charge

PS here's the link to the review btw

http://www.scaleplas...-model-products

Its a shame that Roll Models have this for there shipping... I have pasted a few orders from them due to this. Mainly the items I wanted would fit into a envelop or a $10-15 box...