F4B-4

DougN

Just a quick update since I've managed to get the decals on! I also broke the tail aerial mast, so I'm in the process of making a new one, and will put the final decals on the tail once I get it finished up:

DSCN0911.jpg

Next up - make sure the decals are set properly (no silvering), finish up the replacement tail aerial mast, then attach a few fiddly bits to the fuselage and then the big moment of attaching the wings!

Thanks for looking, comments/questions always welcomed!

Doug

Thanks Dan and Tomek, I appreciate your comments :)

Better have it ready for Anniston this weekend!

Well, since I "retired" from competition after the 2000 Nats, I don't think I need to worry about that :)

However, I may bring a couple other models there for Display Only to support the show :)

Doug

Edited by DougN

Well, since I "retired" from competition after the 2000 Nats, I don't think I need to worry about that :)

However, I may bring a couple other models there for Display Only to support the show :)

Doug

You're too young to retire. Throw it into the mix.

• 3 months later...

Well, decided that I better do something with this bird, so went ahead and started in again! I had spent to much time pondering whether or not to attach the flat rigging wires to the wing before or after I permanently attached it, as well as whether or not to put the windscreen/gunsight on first. In the end, once I started playing with it, it turns out it has to be after it is permanently attached since they will not be the proper lengths otherwise.

So, short update, I took the big step of attaching the wings!

DSCN1557.jpg

I'll have a little glue that came out of the strut attachment points to deal with tomorrow, but everything seems to be lined up pretty well. I also broke the second aerial mast I made, so I've decided to wait until the wings are done and rigged before making a third one.

I also discovered that the aileron control rods are too long (the short one is the modified part, other is OOB), so they need some trimming:

DSCN1558.jpg

Next I'll clean up the struts, and start getting the rigging attached.

Doug

Thanks guys, now that the wing is attached and I touched up the strut attachments, it's time for the rigging. I am using some orthodontic stainless steel flat wire (used for braces) for the rigging. Frank Mitchell used it one of his builds and it really looked the part - in fact Frank was kind enough to donate a couple pieces to me for this build. US interwar types seem to have "fatter" main rigging wires than their Euro interwar counterparts, and with it already being stainless steel, you can cut it (with your dremel) and pop it in place.

Here are the pieces for one side of the wing cut and awaiting installation:

DSCN1560.jpg

Installed:

DSCN1559.jpg

Both sides done:

DSCN1561.jpg

DSCN1562.jpg

For the tailplanes, I'll need to use something thinner. In the meantime, I got all the individual exhausts ready for some paint/weathering:

DSCN1563.jpg

Got the mainwheels on, and set everything aside and got ready to head back upstairs. Went to put the blind back down and disaster struck. It came out of it's bracket, and smashed the F4B-4 and hurled it to the floor. Here is a shot after I gathered up the pieces:

DSCN1564.jpg

Still missing one of the mainwheels and the aux fuel tank. The fact that it is still pretty complete is a testament to the toughness of these old kits. One of the interplane struts broke (as you can see) but the other side and the cabane stuts are still intact. The mainwheel axel is broken, the aux fuel tank broke off and the ends where the wheels attach are also snapped off. Needless to say, the rigging is all off as well. I guess after a bit I can pick this up again and try to repair the damage. I am really becoming convinced this kit does not want to get finished. Perhaps it sat in the box too long?

Anyway, another old model got damaged during the incident as well:

DSCN1565.jpg

Doug