2011 Kit of the Year list

LSP_Ron

We are close to opening the kit of the year poll. Kev pulled a list together from the LSP kit data base of all the 2011 releases. We've reviewed the list behind the scenes, now it's time to throw it out there for all of you to review and confirm we haven't missed anything. To steal a quote from Kevin, a new release for this poll is defined as follows.

New release: Any mould that has been substantially modified to represent a different variant, or any kit that has had a substantial portion of its sprues replaced for the same purpose, constitutes a new release.

So please have a look and let us know if we've missed any releases for 2011.

Thanks

Ron

Mainstream Injection-molded Kits

• Cyber-Hobby Messerschmitt Bf 109E-4

• Hasegawa Mitsubishi J2M3 Raiden

• HobbyBoss Ilyushin IL-2M

• HobbyBoss Ilyushin IL-2M3

• HobbyBoss Supermarine Spitfire Mk.VB

• HobbyBoss Supermarine Spitfire Mk.VB/Trop

• HobbyBoss Republic F-84E

• Roden Nieuport 24 Bis

• Revell-Germany He-111 P-1

• Revell-Germany Bae Hawk T.1

• Tamiya Supermarine Spitfire Mk.XVIe

• Tamiya North American P-51D Mustang

• Trumpeter McDonnell Douglas A-4E Skyhawk

• Trumpeter McDonnell Douglas A-4F Skyhawk

• Trumpeter Sukhoi Su-25UB Frogfoot B

• Trumpeter Messerschmitt Bf 109G-6 Early

• Wingnut Wings Fe-2b(early)

• Wingnut Wings Fe-2b(late)

• Wingnut Wings Rumpler C.IV (early)

• Wingnut Wings Rumpler C.IV (late)

• Wingnut Wings Pfalz D.XII

• Zoukei-Mura Douglas A-1H Skyraider

Limited Run Kits

• Pacific Coast Model Focke-Wulf Ta 152C

• Pacific Coast Model Spitfire MK.XIVc

• Special Hobby Curtiss model H-75 M/N/O Hawk

• Special Hobby Mitsubishi A5M4 Claude

• Special Hobby Nakajima Ki-27 0tsu Nate

Resin & Vac Kits

• Fisher Models Vought F7U-3M Cutlass

• HPH Aero Vodochody L-29 Acrobat

• HpH P-63 Kingcobra

• HpH Zlin Z-126/C-105

• Montex Dewoitine D-510

• Planet Models Deutsche Flugzeugwerke (DFW) T-28 Floh (Flea)

• Silver Wings Fairey Flycatcher

• Silver Wings Hawker Hart

• Silver Wings Gladiator Mk.I / Mk. II.

Edit-1: added PCM Spit XIVc Fighter.- Ron

Edit-2: added Montex Dewoitine D-510 - Ron

Edit-3: added Curtiss model H-75 M/N/O Hawk - Ron

Edit-4: added HPH P-63 and HB IL-2M3- Ron

I know nothing about the IL-2 but isn't an IL-2M and IL-2M3 really the same plane? We've shown the IL-2M, would this not cover both?

Hobby Boss has 4 IL-2's out. The first 2 are single seaters, one with skis and one standard L/G and the second 2 are 2-seaters. Therefore both, or all 4 should be listed. The difference between the two 2-seaters has to do with the greater wing sweep on the outer wing panels for the later variant of the IL-2M's. The way your statement reads about the IL-2 should certainly eliminate one of the 2 Hobby Boss Spitfires you have listed. What is "substantially" modified between the Mk Vb and the Mk Vb/Trop? Yeah, yeah, yeah... clipped wings, tropical air filter.

Didn't the Trumpeter Su-25A single seater (besides the 2-seater UB) come out 1n 2011 or did that come out right at the end of 2010? And what about the Z-M Ta-152H? Also Revell's Ar-96. And what about a Trumpter Mig 23 variant? Did the Flogger K or G come out last year and is it sufficiently different?

In the limited run kits I think PCM also came out with a Spitfire Mk XIVc in 2011. Also Fly Models Ba-349 Natters came out in 2011 didn't they?

Mark H

Edited by mahernandez

Hobby Boss has 4 IL-2's out. The first 2 are single seaters, one with skis and one standard L/G and the second 2 are 2-seaters. Therefore both, or all 4 should be listed. The difference between the two 2-seaters has to do with the greater wing sweep on the outer wing panels for the later variant of the IL-2M's. The way your statement reads about the IL-2 should certainly eliminate one of the 2 Hobby Boss Spitfires you have listed. What is "substantially" modified between the Mk Vb and the Mk Vb/Trop? Yeah, yeah, yeah... clipped wings, tropical air filter.

Didn't the Trumpeter Su-25A single seater (besides the 2-seater UB) come out 1n 2011 or did that come out right at the end of 2010? And what about the Z-M Ta-152H? Also Revell's Ar-96. And what about a Trumpter Mig 23 variant? Did the Flogger K or G come out last year and is it sufficiently different?

In the limited run kits I think PCM also came out with a Spitfire Mk XIVc in 2011. Also Fly Models Ba-349 Natters came out in 2011 didn't they?

Mark H

Mark, to answer

Here is last years poll

The IL-2M only made the list because it's a two seater, the IL-2 was on last years list

The Trump Su-25 was in last years poll as was Revell's Arado as was ZM's 152, as was Trump's Mig 23, as was the Natters. Not sure on the PCM Spitty though, we have to check that

Agreed on the Hobby Boss Spit, one mention is enough in my opinion.

Ron

Ron,

The Special Hobby Curtiss model H-75 M/N/O Hawk with fixed landing gear is missing from the list.

Hans

Hans, can you direct me to a link with the details for that kit? I want to verify if it's in the LSP Kit Database, and add it if not. (I consider an accurate kit database to be more important than an accurate KOTY poll list!)

Kev

Kagemusha,

Neither I nor any other members of the staff were aware that the -2M3 kit had been released, but now I see that that did happen in August, according to the Hobby Boss website. Here are links to that website's listings for the Il-2M kit:

5-11031210330576.jpg

and for the Il-2M3 kit:

5-110S009194330.jpg

.... respectively. It''s difficult to be sure from the box-art painting immediately above, but I can see from the kits' multi-view drawings:

5-11031210333179.jpg

5-110S009195933.jpg

... that the -2M3 kit does provide the later "Arrow" wing planform.

Many thanks for your heads-up.

Charles Metz

Did I miss the Gotha? Probably not a contender for kit of the year (though it looks really impressive and was a very ambitious release from WnW), but for the sake of completeness...

mike