Bedford 6 Pdr AT Gun

TaffyMan

Hi Folks

Thanks Tomek and Maru for looking in.

:hmmm: cheese greater I will give it a go – If I can smuggle it out of the kitchen without the wife seeing ;) – also we have a Nutmeg greater that is really fine!

Time for an update

I left the truck to cure for a couple of days to make sure all the work on the underside were nice and dry. Then it was the nice bit of putting some of the structures onto the flat bed. This will need to be worked over but quite nice to just be attaching stuff and it comes together quickly.

061-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

062-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

Then put my kwik-fit hat on again and finished up the wheels.

First up was a very runny mix of some turps, oil paint, a drop of the sand enamel and some ground sand coloured chalks this was allowed to capillary into the treads of each tyre and brushed over the flat area.

With the mix still wet I first sprinkled my sand colour chalk mix onto it. As this dried I brushed it around the tread and pushed into the corners.

063-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

A closer look

064-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

I ran out of cotton buds :doh: so thought I would try a bit of rolled up kitchen towel dipped into some clean turps I gently wiped over the flat face of each tyre. Seemed to work okay, just need to be very gentle.

065-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

After this had dried I started on the sidewalls.

This was given a wash over of the turps, paint mix then with a thin brush I started to blend an oil paint and sand mix from the hub outwards. After this had dried a new wash of turps and paint was applied after this was nearly dry I brushed in some of the chalk mix. This was then given the kitchen towel treatment to take some of the excess paint and chalk off

My final efforts.

066-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

After attaching the wheels to the axels the hubs was given a similar work over with a bit more black added in the end to make them a bit grimier.

At last she is on her feet – also couldn’t resist just had to put the gun in place. :yahoo:

What do you think?

067-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

Hope you like - Next up will be trying to do the Tarp and start see how the Dio will work - Gulp should be interesting to see what I get.

Till next time happy modelling any comments tips always welcome

Taff :D

:wow: Holy BAT, SH*TMAN ! This is just unreal...ER I mean real (looking) Fantastic job of weathering, my friend. Not into targets, but I must say this is brilliant. .......Harv :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

What do you think?

067-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

SHE looks EXQUISITE. :wub:

WOW !! Taff each and evry detail that you work on is extraodinary bit of workmanship..

I applaud you. :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

BRAVO. :bow: :bow:

MARU...

Cheers and thanks for the encouragement think I'm going to need it to finish this one - My list of stuff to do ain't getting smaller :rolleyes:

Happy Days - Taff :D

:wow: Holy BAT, SH*TMAN ! This is just unreal...ER I mean real (looking) Fantastic job of weathering, my friend. Not into targets, but I must say this is brilliant. .......Harv :thumbsup:

Cheers Harv I love the enthusiasm - and that anything crawling on the ground must be called a target just cracks me up :rofl:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks – been away for a bit and we have a nice new shiny home – Looking good Kev like it. :thumbsup:

Update Time.

Been busy doing the stuff of life and this one is having the mid term blues. But I am trying to raise the enthusiasm to push her on. So to that effect thought I would have a go at doing the tarp.

First up using the frame as template I drew the area out on my treated tissue.

068-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

I cut this out and very lightly scored around a couple of mm inside the edges. This was folded over and stuck down with super glue.

Next with my crimbo present to me – Waldran punchs – punched out small plastic discs and stuck them in place for the eyelets. With a sharp needle I drilled the centre’s. Not the easiest job with a couple of holes in my finger for the pleasure. :(

But here is what I got. It also folded up to give me the fold lines.

069-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

Then I cut thin strips of the treated tissue to use for the ties. These where stuck down with supper glue.

070-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

There will be some more of these ties on the side but I will added them later so I can get the tarp to fit tight.

Yeh!!!!! get to add some colour. This was the base sand mixed with a little brown to make it slightly darker than the truck. Also then added some lighter sand colours to give it a bit of a mottle.

071-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

Then with a cut paper mask I added a darker sand and brown mix for my camouflage pattern. Then as this is the inside so will be lighter as the pattern was on the outside, I spayed a light couple of coats of white to knock the coloures back.

072-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

After this had dried it was flipped over and reversed to line the pattern up and all repeated for the outside with darker colours.

The mask with the lines to line it up.

073-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

At the Picture limit so back in a mo with some more

Okay back with part two

The finished front before the weathering.

074-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

Then it was a case of lining up tarp and sticking the mid ties down to hold it and make sure it was straight to the frame. I carefully, using a bit of quite thick wire as a guide and support rolled one of the sides up carefully sticking down as I went. After this was stuck down I pulled the guide wire out and stuck the other ties in place.

075-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

The view from the top

076-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

You can see where I have started to try and pull and pinch the trarp.

After some ruff treatment with thinned paint for stains and chalks for wear and grunge I gave it a spray of matt to hold everything. This was then stuck with the aide of Bluetak to the truck so I could see if it worked and also to see where the tie ropes and hooks will need to go.

Also managed to put the decals I made on.

077-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

078-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

Showing the weathering on the inside and also where I need to put the other ties in place to pull it tight around the frame.

079-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

Hope you like my first efforts at doing a tarp. As ever any comments and hints always welcome.

Thats all for now!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys Thanks for looking in and commenting and I am glad you like it so far.

Ray the tissue was the Man sized sort! This is the guy I got the info from

http://www.militarym...icle.asp?a=3310

The only difference is that the bath sealant I have, just wouldn’t break down in the water so I used Builders Caulk instead – It seemed to work for me!

So for an update

I am still in the mid project blues and trying to get motivated to move this along. So haven’t done a great deal but here we go.

So uhm???! :whistle: copying – borrowing from Kevin and Derek B using Milliput to make a copy of the front of the ammo carrier – according to the little bits of info I can find on these they used to have three of these on the flat back but you only get one with the kit. Then not sure if there is room for the three?

My fist attempt at this! I used a light wipe of Vas as the release agent from the female mould.

080-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

Whilst this was all setting I made an oblong of plastic. This then had the male casting stuck on and rubbed to shape. Then some thin plastic sheet warmed and wrapped around to give me the top edge. A bit of filler – still need to do some smoothing before painting – not brilliant but still on that learning curve!

081-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

Next finished tarting up the gun. I thought as the gun is in transit they would have protected the barrel so bit more of my tissue became a greased cloth tied around the end of the barrel. Also made the strap tie to hold the rope in place. I looked everywhere for some small link chain – my wife didn’t want to sacrifice any of her jewellery – bit picky about it – :shrug: so this chain is a bit heavy to what I intended but it will do. Still need to rub some graphite into it to make it a bit more steel.

082-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

Started to weather and beat up the back flat bed. First went around with some dark grey paint for wear and chips then scraped away to the aluminium paint underneath where the metal ramps go. This then had my sand technique used on the edges and corners. After this had dried I got the oil paints out and with very thin mixes with turps started to add colour and muck

083-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

Whilst this was drying I put the wing mirrors onto the doors and attached the doors. The front then got the same weathering treatment as the back

084-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

I have realised that I forgot to take any pictures of weathering part two - Doh!!!! But you can see it here – this pic shows her on my planed layout for my first ever dio – now that should be interesting to see what mess I get into!!!

Bit more to do on the truck mainly chalks to dust her up to take the sheen of the oil paints then loading all the bits onto the back.

085-Bedford6pdrATGun.jpg

So after the truck should be moving on to people.

Thanks for looking in and the encouragement till next time happy modelling :thumbsup:

Best build I've ever seen of this kit. You've done a great job.

Agree with Kev about your rendering of the tarp - it looks very good and realistic.

Have you used some sort of software to design the layout of your diorama...?

Matt

Best build I've ever seen of this kit. You've done a great job.

Agree with Kev about your rendering of the tarp - it looks very good and realistic.

Have you used some sort of software to design the layout of your diorama...?

Matt

Hi Matt - Thanks for the compliments mate - bit of an oldie kit but some nice bits, could do with some PE details for the gun IMO.

Yeah had some time to kill at work last week so I laid up my thoughts to see how it worked in Adobe Illusrator.