Why no decent state of the art kits of VVS WW2 fighters?

Haggis

...and if we fought the cold war with ice skating (Katerina Witt, for example), then we would also fight it by ignoring the contribution of the Soviet Union...

Well... If you'd like me to engage in "diplomatic relations" with Katerina Witt, well, I'll take one for the team. After all... "Ask not what your country can do for you... Ask what you can do for your country." :coolio:

In October of this year I visited the “Muzeum Lotnictwa Polskiego” in Kraków, Poland.

http://www.muzeumlotnictwa.pl/indexen.php

http://www.aviationmuseum.eu/World/Europe/Poland/Krakow/Muzeum_Lotnictwa_Polskiego.htm

In the attached pic I am touching the wing of an IL-10 and there is a Tu-2 in the background. Displayed outside were DOZENS of MiG’s. I was in HEAVEN!!!! LOL!!!

Just a note here (to expand on what Tnarg wrote)… Poland was the only allied country to fight in every European theater (and major battle) in WW2. Poland played a HUGE part in winning the Battle of Britain, North Africa, Italy, Eastern Front, etc. And after the war Poland got sold down the river by their allies to Uncle Joe. (NOTE: Yes, all my grandparents came from Poland).

In my humble opinion, WW2 was truly won/lost on the Eastern Front.

Anyway… I got a little off topic here… Sorry. YES!!!!! More WW2 VVS kits!!!!!

IMG_2378.jpg

In October of this year I visited the "Muzeum Lotnictwa Polskiego" in Kraków, Poland.

http://www.muzeumlot....pl/indexen.php

http://www.aviationm...a_Polskiego.htm

In the attached pic I am touching the wing of an IL-10 and there is a Tu-2 in the background. Displayed outside were DOZENS of MiG's. I was in HEAVEN!!!! LOL!!!

As a side comment, this museum is an absolute gem, worth the displacement to Krakow ! For other reasons, I could only spend 1.5 hours there last summer and got out with the resolve to come back for a full day.

If you want to see aircraft really close (and I mean really close, like crawling under the outside exhibits), see a family of MiG 21s and 23s, plus 15, 17 and 19s, plus German WWI gems transferred from Berlin in 1943 and uncovered in Poland after WWII (ever seen in the flesh a Siemens Schukert D III?), plus a hangar full of areo engines, plus a few Cold War Nato jets (F-84, F-105, F-104, etc...), some Saabs (Drakken, Viggen, ...) plus a PZL P11C...., plus...., plus, ..... take my advice : JUST GO THERE ! :piliot:

And then, of course, Krakow and its area are just worth the travel, wherever you live in the world.:coolio:

Hubert.

PS: I too would love to see a Pe-2

Hubert.

Edited by MostlyRacers

Good point Jamie...I guess the answer is lack of a decent movie film?

If a modern hi-tech 3D movie was created themed around how the Russian motherland successfully withstood the German onslaught and siege of Lenningrad thanks to their heroic (partcularly female) pilots during those harsh winter months, then I am sure that interest in Russian aircraft would increase!

Derek

(PS Having seen the restored Yak-3 go through its paces several times at Duxford, I must admit that I am very impressed with its performance - as evidently is Stephen Gray of the TFC. This is certainly one aircraft that I would personally appreciate in kit fom!).

Edited by Derek B

Who is that young lady in front of the Tupulev? It's not Kati Witt, for sure. :punk:

Well, if it has to be a soviet twin, we have one:

You are allowed to put red stars on Revells Ju-88A-1 :wicked: , because the Soviets bought two of them prior to war. Callsigns D-AXVL and D-AXVM., serials 0885023 and -25.

Not to mention 5 Bf-110C-4 and a fistful of 109E-3s. They also used a B captured in Spain for special recce missions at the beginning of the Great Patriotic War (which later crash-landed, got recovered by the Germans and put back in Spanish use with the Blue Legion - a long way home :rolleyes: ).

OK, we will get an I-153; when I am ready with my scratchbuild one :rofl:

Regards!

- dutik

Who is that young lady in front of the Tupulev? It's not Kati Witt, for sure. :punk:

Well, if it has to be a soviet twin, we have one:

You are allowed to put red stars on Revells Ju-88A-1 :wicked: , because the Soviets bought two of them prior to war. Callsigns D-AXVL and D-AXVM., serials 0885023 and -25.

Not to mention 5 Bf-110C-4 and a fistful of 109E-3s. They also used a B captured in Spain for special recce missions at the beginning of the Great Patriotic War (which later crash-landed, got recovered by the Germans and put back in Spanish use with the Blue Legion - a long way home :rolleyes: ).

OK, we will get an I-153; when I am ready with my scratchbuild one :rofl:

Regards!

- dutik

Dutik, you're correct about those German 'planes, which were a byproduct of the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact of 1939. And I wouldn't mind doing a captured Bf-109F or G in Soviet markings. Didn't the Soviets have one in AMT-4 Green topsides, or did I dream it?

Regards,

Jason

No full repainted late 109ers. The Russians just overpainted the national markings and the larger part of the rear fuselage where callsigns/chevrons/tactical numbers were located (with green paint) and put Red stars on.

Regards!

- dutik

Hello, everyone!

Maybe the solutions for our pain is to contact an important East producer, such as Zvezda from Moscow. This producer has a big variety of models larger or smaller, best quality! For example they produce the best BF 109 , 1/48 and large ships, too. They next jumbo jet 1/144 is larger then a Yak or La 1/32, but this producer has done no item at 1/32.

I suggest we should write this producer every day and ask him to produce also 1/32 or 1/24 items, as nobody else is doing. As we are more numerous , as well our success chances could be better.

I'll write to Zvezda right now, asking them an Yak 9 and a La 5 at 1/32.

Please, do it yourself, too! Now, if possible!

http://www.zvezda.org.ru/?lng=1&cat=5

Vali

I'll ignore the "lady" comment since you also used the word "young." LOL!!!

Here are some more pics of the same “young lady” a few years ago at the “Museum of Flight” in Seattle:

SeattleApril2009015.jpg

SeattleApril2009019.jpg

I'm very happy about this thread!!! Hopefully the kit manufacturers are reading. Bring on the VVS kits!!! :please:

Edited by Gene Onacko Jr.

I'd like to do Lydias aircraft. Can you say Rose of Stalingrad?

LydiaVladimirovnaLitvjak.jpg

That looks like her Yak-1b. I know it's a resin kit and kind of pricey, but the Montex 1/32 Yak-1b is a VERY nice kit. I intend to do her aircraft with it!

Other than that, however, I fully agree. I have the plastic ones (MiG-3, I-16 and Shturmovik) but would like to see a lot more coverage. Come on HobbyBoss and Trumpeter, enough Messerschnitzels!

Michael

Edited by Michael Satin