Hasegawa Fw 190D-11 Conversion

LSP_Kevin

Thanks D. I understand the basic concepts, but just don't quite know how or where to dip my toe in. I think I'd like to try a basic 1-part mould first. I'm just not sure that any of the parts I have to cast lend themselves to that - especially the gear doors. I don't have access to any Lego I'm allowed to use (my daughter would kill me!), so I'll need to purchase some, which ain't gonna happen for a couple of weeks or more.

Also, the one thing my starter kit didn't include was release agent. What's recommended?

Kev

Kevin,

D gives great advice. I'll give a +1 for Legos. You can "borrow" them and your grandaughter will probably never know the difference :lol: . The rubber will peel right off when you're done. But, you can build a box from just about anything and make it work.

As for a release agent, I wouldn't worry too much about it, especially if you're only doing a one-off, or a couple/few castings from the same mold. Just experiment a bit and you'll see any possible issues develop as you go. One thing; depending on the brand/type of resin and catalyst you're using, you may not want to go a full 1:1 ratio. I've found that, with some of them, I use slightly less catalyst than what is suggested (emphasis on slight, as you don't want the parts to be soft) and it will have less air bubbles and a smoother finish. But, like I said, it will depend on the material you're using and you'll have to experiment a bit.

Great build, so far, by the way!

John

Thanks D. I understand the basic concepts, but just don't quite know how or where to dip my toe in. I think I'd like to try a basic 1-part mould first. I'm just not sure that any of the parts i have to cast lend themselves to that - especially the gear doors. I don't have access to any Lego I'm allowed to use (my daughter would kill me!), so I'll need to purchase some, which ain't gonna happen for a couple of weeks or more.

Also, the one thing my starter kit didn't include was release agent. What's recommended?

Kev

I've used unflavored/unscented PAM in the past believe it or not without any problems.

Kev, the exhaust looks really nice to me!

Thanks Ron. As it happens, I gave them a gloss coat to protect them from the handling they'll receive when I trim them, and the lovely burnt metal effect has all but disappeared. I'm hoping that a further flat coat will restore it, but if not, I'll just slop some more rust wash over them.

Kev

Dan, Paul - thanks for the advice! I'll pick up a set of generic Lego bricks when I can, and improvise in the meantime. My daughter's sets are all Harry Potter and the like, and I really need gear doors, not Hermione! I'll see if I can find some time to experiment over the weekend. I'll endeavour to obtain a copy of that book that Rich linked to recently, too.

Kev

Hey, thanks Wolf. Personally I'm pretty disappointed with the paint job, but it's all my own doing, so I'm only reaping what I sowed. I really just want it finished at this point so I can crack on with other builds. I'm hoping to get it done for our biggest contest in a couple of weeks, so I can take it along for laughs.

Kev

Welcome to the dark side Kev.

( Painting markings with masks ;) )

Yeah, I've done it on a few models, but only Japanese types so far. I'm liaising with Ian at Ad Astra for a set of masks for my 190S though.

Dora is coming to Model Expo?

That's the plan, if I can figure out this resin casting caper by then! If not, I'll probably just fudge it and bring it along anyway.

Kev