Hasegawa Fw 190D-11 Conversion

LSP_Kevin

Thanks fellas, your kind words are much appreciated - and highly motivational! The last remaining hurdle on this build is to get the main landing gear fitted, which is going to be a challenge for all sorts of reasons. I hope it goes better than it did on my ProModeler 1/48 build!

Kev

What happened on the ProModeller 1/48 build?

The sloppy fit of the wheel bay part caused by aging moulds allowed me to install it at a slight angle, which totally destroyed any chances I had of getting the landing gear installed correctly. The outcome is obvious in the following photo:

HeSojW.jpg

They're not just at different angles, but twisted in different directions too. It ruined an otherwise decent build. Next time I'll either build the Eduard D-11 kit or try converting the Tamiya D-9.

To be honest, my main concern with this build is achieving adequate strength where the gear legs attach to the wheel bays.

Kev

So, I managed to get the holes drilled for installing the landing gear:

Tyc8sd.jpg

I also managed to reduce and reshape the mounting pegs to fit my new holes:

0z9yQf.jpg

Best of all, I triumphed over success and drilled through the port wing:

jp1TRe.jpg

:BANGHEAD2:

Kev

Its a "magic BB" from ground fire Kev............ :lol:

Ha! Now that's funny...

Repairs are currently in progress. I put a piece of tape over the wound and used a steel ruler to mash down the raised plastic. Then I taped off the area and gave it a going over with with a skinny sanding sponge (available from Flory Models). This left a small crater that looked remarkably like an acne scar, which I filled with a blob of Mr Surfacer. I'll sand that back next modelling session.

Kev

OK folks, wing puncture dealt with:

FmnZOO.jpg

DCphH0.jpg

Clear coats will take care of the noticeable difference in the new and old paint layers. I also managed to get the outside faces of the main gear doors painted:

YbhIx5.jpg

I initially thought that these parts Jerry sent me were copies of the new-tool Hasegawa kit parts, but a direct comparison reveals that they are not:

YpYQdt.jpg

The upper section has an obviously different shape, and the lower section is larger, and with a subtly different shape. I'm guessing that these were designed for a Ta 152, rather than a Dora, but I wasn't aware that they sported differently shaped landing gear doors (and ergo, differently shaped wheel bay openings).

As usual, very slow progress!

Kev