Tamiya P-51D unused PE parts

Daywalker

I spent some time tonight looking through the sprues in my new P-51D from Tamiya, hoping to find the dual spine antennas found on the VLR P-51D's.

On one of the PE frets, there are a number of parts listed as "not used". Two of these (numbers 11 and 12) look the PE inserts into the backs of rockets or rocket pods.

Could these point to rocket, rocket pod, or bazooka equipped boxings in the future? I sure would like to build a Korean War F-51D out of one of these kits.

Edited by Daywalker

Yes, that issue, and a few others has been discussed if not here, then on ARC and/or HS. Apparently there will be further variations of the P-51D kit (and/or F-51D) in the future. No confirmations of any such kit, just what you see "in the cards" from the exta parts in the kit.

They certainly look like the back end of 5" rockets. So did you find the dual spine antennas found on the VLR P-51D's ? I've been wondering the same thing as I would like to build mine as such.

Edited by Cunumdrum61

So did you find the dual spine antennas found on the VLR P-51D's ? I've been wondering the same thing as I would like to build mine as such.

I believe these are not included in the kit...

As the others have stated, sadly no VLR antennas. Suppose I could fabricate a couple if I decide to get those Kagero decals. :rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing the photo of the Tiny Tim rocket, I had forgotten about that one!

FYI, these are just my own obserations and yes I have the kit.

While the dual antennas are not in the kit part Q2 has the correct spacing and the holes to drill out for the "Uncle Dog" arrangement. For you VLR guys the parts for the other radio,used for IFF, after putting the battery in the engine compartment, are also included part #s D51 and D52. I also am of the opinion that part W14 is the frame to hold the battery in the engine compartment. Should you have a Trumpeter P-47 kit I believe there are 3 antenna in those kits.Take 2 of those and use the Tamiya one under the nose. Also in the Tamiya kit there are different radio parts for the side wall and 3 different panels to select from for under the IP.

Things I don't like machine gun openings in 4 of the weapons look like they were used for.22 cal ammo. The seat ajustment parts look like they have a coat on them, not springs. There is no indication which canopy is which, 2 of the 3 look alike. The scoop for the engine compartment with a battery is too small, even smaller then the one on the Dragon kit. I also think they scrimped out moulding the engine barrers on the fuselage parts, not seperate as in the Spit kits. I also am wondering about the headrest, Tamiya oval, Dragon round, many VLR 51s had a round headrest

If anyone has any more good or bad feelings on this kit please chime in. I hope this may be of use to those getting ready to build the Tamiya P-51. Comments welcome.

Mike Horina

Edited by mhorina

Mike,

Maybe you can help me out with some questions I have about the instructions: EQ: On page 10 in section 11 there are some letters in a square gray background like (BC & AB)what the heck do these letters signify or indicate?

Also the color most widely called for in the interrior and other places is a 2 to 1 combination of XF-3 and XF-5. I'm wonderiong what that turns out to be most like; yellow zinc chromate, green zinc chromate or interrior green?

Fred

Mike,

Maybe you can help me out with some questions I have about the instructions: EQ: On page 10 in section 11 there are some letters in a square gray background like (BC & AB)what the heck do these letters signify or indicate?

Also the color most widely called for in the interrior and other places is a 2 to 1 combination of XF-3 and XF-5. I'm wonderiong what that turns out to be most like; yellow zinc chromate, green zinc chromate or interrior green?

Fred

Hi Fred,

Those are interior parts so I'd say the color wanted/needed is interior green. The large alphabets A,B, C in the grey squares refers to the parts used in the specific plane/planes as some of the parts are used in only 1 or 2 of the 3 different paint schemes in the kit. No call out if the parts are used in all 3 planes HTH

Mike

Hi Fred,

Those are interior parts so I'd say the color wanted/needed is interior green. The large alphabets A,B, C in the grey squares refers to the parts used in the specific plane/planes as some of the parts are used in only 1 or 2 of the 3 different paint schemes in the kit. No call out if the parts are used in all 3 planes HTH

Mike

As I wasn't planning to use the kit decals it'll be difficult to determine which parts not to use, guess some basic research is called for here.

Fred

As I wasn't planning to use the kit decals it'll be difficult to determine which parts not to use, guess some basic research is called for here.

Fred

Fred, The P-51 went through several changes, many of them concerning avionic packages and or airframe modifications. The kit decals reflect some of those changes and depending on which plane/decals you use you may want to use the directions to equip your plane more correctly. The decals from the kit identify which production block the decals are for. They represent A as a P51-25, B as a P51-10 and C as a P-51-5 HTH

Mike

Fred, The P-51 went through several changes, many of them concerning avionic packages and or airframe modifications. The kit decals reflect some of those changes and depending on which plane/decals you use you may want to use the directions to equip your plane more correctly. The decals from the kit identify which production block the decals are for. They represent A as a P51-25, B as a P51-10 and C as a P-51-5 HTH

Mike

It helps a good deal Mike, it means, for me, that I'll be using the parts with the letter 'A' blocked, as I'm building mine as a D-25.

BTW do you have a sprue in your kit marked 'L'? I have no L sprue but need the parts L 13, 14 and 15 for the K14 gunsight. I have noticed that some parts were mismarked as V but turned out to be W instead. So far I haven't found those missing 3 parts on another sprue.

Fred