P-47D The Farmingdale Jug PT2: UPDATE 9/1/13: FINISHED

Guest Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Thanks ads, much appreciated.

I have a few pounce wheel sets but bought a RB Rivet tool. Works great but I'm finding the same as you, the effect is very delicate and not easy to see. I'll continue to replace all the rivets and panel lines and hopefully, they will work well with the NMF.

Somehow, it seems like a long haul up to this point and all the detail kits I used didn't make things any easier but I'm hoping it will be worth it when finished.

Peter

Peter, this is looking great. Sorry you had to strip the cowling down, but I think it will look good no matter what you do with it. This kit looks like its going together very, very well. Hope the NMF goes well for you, Alclad is a great paint to use, I always have had good experiences with it. :thumbsup:

Matt :party0023:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Peterpools

THE FARMINGDALE JUG

HASEGAWA P-47D ‘NOSE ART’

PT 10

WINGS AND TAIL FEATHERS

Just a quick update on the Jug. All the major sub-assemblies have been sanded through 4000 grit and polished at this point. Now was the time to finally glue on the wings and tail feathers.

I carefully set up my HLJ jig and fitted the Jug, so that the vertical stabilizer would be as close to true as I could manage. Then on Sunday night, I took the plunge and glued on the left wing, trying to keep the dihedral as true I a could figure. Tuesday night, the right wing was glued into place, using the jig as my guide. I constantly checked the height of each wing tip from the table and hoped for the best. The wings were glued on with a combination of both Gorilla CCA glue and Testor’s Tube Glue. Yup, I still use the stuff from time to time and this was the perfect application for it. Both glues were used simultaneously (on different portions of the wing joint), as I had to glue up both resin and plastic parts at the same time.

Tonight, on went the horizontal stabilizers and after checking that the tips were the same height off the table, they were glued on with Tamiya Extra Thin and taped up as an extra added measure.

Of course, none of this would have been possible, if my wife Diane would have objected of doing this stage of assembly on the dinning room table. Of course, while working on the table, I managed to make a huge mess, piling my stuff up everywhere.

All I can say is, I am one lucky guy...

Enjoy

Peter

The Jug sitting up square and true

DSC_0001F-1.jpg

DSC_0002F.jpg

DSC_0003F.jpg

Peter this is looking great!

I need to get me one of them jigs.

I have the one for biplanes.

I only wish Sprue Brothers would carry them so I don't have to go to Japan to get one.

I can see that jig helps alot in setting the wings and tail planes.:speak_cool:

AWESOME!

Edited by Black Sheep One

Guest Peterpools

Howard and Chris

Thanks guys for calling out what might need to be a fix this weekend. I took a good look at the gun ports as called out in the instructions and that's the way Hasegawa intended it to be. I also shot a lot of photos of the P-47 at the American Air Power Museum and this is the one I have for the gun ports. Looks like Hasegawa is right.

Peter

DSC_0005.jpg