P-47D Razorback & Corsairs in PTO

Bill Cross

I have been ruminating on the Pacific Theater lately, and would like to do a P-47D Razorback and an F-4 Corsair in PTO service. I know which kit for the Razor (Trumpeter), but what decals would you recommend? Zotz's sheet is OOP, but still limited.

As for the Corsair, I'm thinking USMC service, but in any case, supporting landings on Saipan where my dad served.

Hi Bill,

I am starting work on my Trumpy Razorback and was considering Benz's Dirty Old Man from Neel Kearby's group on New Guinea. Most of the PTO schemes were pretty straight forward and not much nose art. I would think Ad Astra could make up the markings for any of those South Pacific jugs and the Saipan planes were pretty straight forward as well.

Corsairs are a bit tougher. The Trumpy offering leaves a LOT to be desired and I about went nuts fixing it. The markings I used were the Eagle Cals VF-17 decals which are excellent and most of the set would be applicable to VMF birds.

Looking forward to seeing more PTO stuff. Definitely under-represented here.

Matt

Funny, I'm seeing a pattern developing as relates to your posts here...

Kev

Ha ha ha - i dont think someone likes trump kits very much!!

The Razorback - though to my eyes looks a bit "Fat" is one of thier best kits and is the best IM Tunderbolt razorback in the market - this is something we all must accept - well untill Santa gets a job at a hobby company in Japan anyway!

ads

I have built a couple of the Hase bubbletops and I really like the Trump razorback, so far. I intend to do it mostly oob. I do believe it will look enough like a P-47 when I am done so that is good for me. The Corsair however... never again. :deadhorse:

Bill, here is a good reference for PTO jugs.

http://www.schifferbooks.com/newschiffer/book_template.php?isbn=0764302485

I have the book and it is essentially a collection of photos taken by pilots and mechanics. It tells the story of this group well.

Referencing the Corsair in the PTO is a bit easier but still has a bit of controversy. I would recommend Lee Cook's excellent book on the Jolly Rogers. It obviously covers the Navy side of things but mainly gives you the feel for land based Corsair squadrons.

As far as building a Corsair, there are really two choices. The Revell is nice but requires a LOT of work to bring up to modern standards. The Trumpy is a headache to build and has some weird fit issues. You can do as much as you want but it will build into a reasonable impression of a Corsair out of the box. That is, if you can live with the inaccuracies. I did what I could to satisfy my need for a Corsair here on LSP a few months ago. I do not feel I was able to fix all the things I wanted but I tried.

Here is my epic saga of frustration with plastic...

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=31080

I hit some of the major problems without breaking the bank. In the end I did enjoy parts of the build.

Here is the completed plane.

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=33995

Good luck!

Wow, lots of good information. Is there a list of the "bad" things about the Trumpeter Corsairs? I can't seem to find that section anymore.

AFAICT, Its mainly issues with the Cowl (which Chris S is getting a replacement for now), the cowl ring being out of shape and having funky parallel notches in them (of which MC makes a replacement for) and the gear wells (mainly the gear doors being completely misshapen. Aires does a gear well set that includes a replacement for these). Im sure Matt might be able to enlighten you further on any other issues.......

Brian

Hmmm, where to begin.

I don't like to bash manufacturers too much but there are discrepancies with the -1D kit. As Brian said, the cowl is a pretty big bugaboo and the cowl flaps are hideous. That said, here is what I considered to be necessary fixes;

cockpit- just incorrect. I felt that the best bang for the buck was the True Details set I got for 10 bucks. The Aires set was nice but pricey and had a few more problems than the T/D set, imho.

Wheel wells- Kagemusha is right, the Aires seem to be a bear to fit. I scratched mine but it was not much fun.

front gear doors- the kit doors are incorrect. Not just a little bit but really odd looking. The Revell are much better but still off. The Revell doors can be made to look pretty close.

prop- blades are not really close. The Revell kit blades are good for an early -1A (land based) or a birdcage. Jerry Rutman makes a nice set and hub.

wheels- a VMF bird might have circumferential tread or diamond tread or a bald tire. Or a combination. Once again Jerry Rutman makes nice wheels and I think you can get a set on Design Marketing, not sure whose they are but they look good.

engine- it is just not right from the gearbox to the mags to the overall length. Depending on what you want, the Vector is the best but the Quickboost is noce for the price and works out ok.

exhaust- the kit parts are too thin and look odd. I scratched them out of brass tube as the Moskit pipes are a bit pricey if you can even find them. The entire exhaust area is oversized as well.

tail wheel- the whole well is about a 1/4 inch too far forward. The wheel strut is a later raised type but is easy to fix. No detail in the well is a problem too.

Flaps- I think I had a short shot kit but there were lots of missing panel lines on my flaps and they are made to work with the pe hinges that just don't look right. Not sure how the Lone Star set works but that might be an option.

Canopy- the canopy rails and fuselage recess are wrong and/or missing. Most kits get this wrong anyway. It is kinda nit picky but it will show if you build it right.

Panel lines- kit lines for the fuselage are off a bit. Also, the Corsair was assembled with quite a bit of welding so rivets should be kept to a minimum.

Landing gear- there are a few really nice am pieces available so this should be no problem.

Fabric surfaces on the wings and flying surfaces- these are depicted pretty badly on the kit but can be sanded into shape

oil cooler intakes- the kit has them wrong. sorry but thats the way it is. These are complex areas of any Corsair and were very difficult to scratch.

wing position- I understand that the wing is in the wrong spot. This is a pretty big fix that I did not even attempt.

This is by no means a comprehensive listing of problems. Nor is it a shot at Trumpy. I just felt that if I wanted a Corsair in 32nd, I needed to address a few things. There is no reason to believe that a reasonable Corsair cannot be built from the box but you have to decide what is right for you. Another problem lies in the difficulty finding reference material. I had quite a time and would have quit if not for the serious help of a few dedicated LSP Corsair fans. I tried to illustrate the way I approached some of the problems in my build thread in the hopes that it might be of help to anyone working on this kit. Rich has a great build going on right now for a later variant than I built and his work is outstanding and worth a long look.

Now, where is our Hasegawa Corsair. I will build a ton of them...

Well, I believe that the gentleman that did the fake Tamiya P-51 poster some time ago has also done a photoshop of a Tamiya Corsair.

Will the mojo work again?

My older brother is still waiting for me to get off my butt and build him his razorback

Edited by Av8fan