Spacewolf

spacewolf

A strip of ribbon was glued along one side of the opening, run behind the battery with enough to provide a tab to help pull the battery forward for removal.

spacewolf245.jpg

To hide the battery and form the front part of the pod a part was cut to match the outline of the pod, the intakes built on the forward side and like the ejection seat, angle strip was added to both the pod and it's forward face.

spacewolf244.jpg

Thanks guys, the comments are appreciated ! I'm glad I'm keeping a few of you entertained.

So, with the inner wings framed up it's time to get the outer wings on. Things were carefully checked and the wings glued into place.

spacewolf206.jpg

Once the glue had dried I got a beauty shot...

spacewolf004.jpg

But however there always has to be someone...as I was taking pics and admiring my creation, Hans drew my attention to the fact sitting there feeling good was not getting the model built. Specifically, what was I going to do about those gaping squared off intake openings... (I like Hans, but his German work ethic is a pain at times)

spacewolf213.jpg

The intakes in the comic are mostly in shadow, no detail is evident, so I was on my own. Knowing that most intakes are smooth, curved area's I had quite a few hours thought before I happened onto one of those happy accidents that helped fix the problem. I realized that the canopy was very close in size and shape, so I vacuformed some thin sheet over the master and cut it to fit. Needing a vent to bleed overpressure I cut out a U shape in the middle and glued a chamber to the back cut from an old rocket.

spacewolf0012-1.jpg

Glued into place it's looking good, but where was the intake air supposed to go ? ...(are we forgetting this is a 'space' fighter ?.. no air in space ?...ahh ! it's SI-FI..who cares, it looks good :evil_laugh: !)

spacewolf015.jpg

I decided to build a sharp ramp where the channeled 'air' would be guided into the fuselage. A curved section of sheet was added on an angle from the intake to the fuselage side.

spacewolf008.jpg

It still looked odd so I was wondering what to do when I got an idea from looking at pics of Japanese SI-FI ships on the net....they love those vents and fins, put them everywhere ! So, out with some thin sheet stock and in a short time...

spacewolf010-1.jpg

But, of course, Hans wouldn't let me rest. Those rear area's had to be done too... (insert German explitive here...)

Thankfully I had an idea of what the engine nozzles looked like so I built square tapered cones (three different sizes of course :BANGHEAD2: ) A thin strip of sheet was bent and glued in.

spacewolf012-1.jpg