Spacewolf

spacewolf

Now there's an understatement! That's one of the coolest things I've seen done to a model. Fantastic work on a fascinating project mate.

Kev

Thanks Kev, glad you are liking this.

Cheers

Vaughn

Time to work on the wings....The tips were built up, laminated and sanded to shape. The wings themselves were cut to shape, a tapered spare glued on and the wing skins drawn together to give an airfoil shape. The crank in the wing was made part of the spar.

spacewolf000.jpg

spacewolf0012.jpg

Once everything was sanded a box was cut and framed for the landing gear. The frame walls were made longer to make spars to fit into the innner wing.

spacewolf010.jpg

spacewolf009.jpg

Edited by spacewolf

Detail bits on the bottom of the wing were added from the parts box.

spacewolf002.jpg

Fitted to the model it is beginning to look like this is gonna work.

spacewolf202.jpg

Alex said "my kit looks like a missile beside yours ! " A bit of a difference between 1/24th and 1/110 scale !

More in a few days.

Cheers

Vaughn

I didn't do as good a job of documenting this as I had thought, the inner wing intakes were poorly covered so this is all I have. The lower part of the inner wing was built in the same manner as the upper. Parts for the intakes were cut from 1/16th. Two parts were cut and laminated together to get the right thickness. The inner edge was bent slightly. A small section was added to build up the outer edge. The outer wing was fitted and helped me eyeball everything.

spacewolf205.jpg

The rear part was a single layer of 1/16th top and bottom. Researching this was a pain as the comic varied the number of engines per side. In some frames there are three, in others there are four. I had to make the call and went with three. The openings are framed with 1/16th vertical frames.

spacewolf204.jpg

Viewed from above it quickly took shape.

spacewolf203.jpg

Both sides were done, the domes were carved from bass wood, vacu formed and glued on. The 'horns' on the rear outer edge were built up from scrap, carved and sanded to shape.

spacewolf218.jpg

Edited by spacewolf

For the intake on the side I used a 1/32 Spitfire desert air filter. I filed it to shape and built a blanking plate into it, then glued it on.

spacewolf0152.jpg

Hans seemed very pleased at the result.

spacewolf215.jpg

Another dome was added to the lower forward fuselage.

spacewolf212.jpg

Hans can't wait to climb into this mighty new addition to the FW family and see what it can do !

spacewolf214.jpg

More in a few days.

Cheers

Vaughn

Awesome, I love the SiFi stuff.

Dave's words work best; "Very Cool"! :speak_cool:

Barry

Hey guys, I'm glad there are a few here who like this. Comments are welcome and the more the merrier !

You may be wondering what I'm up to as these pics are 'old news'... well, I'm driving myself insane scribing. If there is one part of modeling I HATE it's finishing but it's gotta be done soooo....

Meanwhile, back at the build... I cut out a section under the cockpit for the switch mount and opened up the nose wheel well area.

spacewolf219.jpg

I framed in the well.

spacewolf220.jpg

A switch was sandwiched into a mount then glued onto the bottom of the cockpit floor.

spacewolf233.jpg

The wires were soldered to the switch and everything checked. I wanted a hidden switch so I ran a bit of music wire from the switch forward into the nose gear bay.

spacewolf236.jpg

I added a strip of angle stock with a loop bracket to guide and support the wire and glued a bit of plastic from the parts box to the end of it to give the effect of an accumulator bottle.

spacewolf234.jpg

But wires, lights and switches need power...battery power in this case. I had decided to house the battery in the aux engine pod which hangs under the fuselage. This pod from the side profile much resembles the engine pod they were going to use on the B-58 to test the engines for the XB-70 so I think that may be where the artist got his inspiration. However, as with anything Japanese they have to do something odd to it (from our perspective anyway). In this case, the fighter has a ventral fin which retracts forward for landing....right through the center of the pod ! Nothing like complicating things... :BANGHEAD2:

I started out cutting a horizontal keel. Vertical ribs frame up the slot for the fin. Ribs were cut and help support the outer edge, then the skin was added.

spacewolf229.jpg

I positioned the fin to see how it would look.

spacewolf227.jpg