Spacewolf

spacewolf

Trunnions were made for mounting the gear. I wanted to make the instalation as realistic looking as possible.

spacewolf035.jpg

Squares were cut and drilled to fit the trunnions and the sissors link was made from bits of scrap and rod.

spacewolf030-1.jpg

More delights from the scratchy show! :thumbsup:

Great stuff Vaughn but I do have a bit of a concern.

It might be the camera angle but Hans's hand looks a bit weird.

His right forearm and hand look very badly swollen and very large.

Wonder if he's been without a partner for a long time? :evil_laugh:

Phil :speak_cool:

More delights from the scratchy show! :thumbsup:

Great stuff Vaughn but I do have a bit of a concern.

It might be the camera angle but Hans's hand looks a bit weird.

His right forearm and hand look very badly swollen and very large.

Wonder if he's been without a partner for a long time? :evil_laugh:

Phil :speak_cool:

Phil, you just about made me spray coffee all over my 'puter ! :D

As for poor Hans, you must remember he is an ex tread head..all that tanker stuff really did him no good. He is kinda 'squished' in all aspects ( when did the old Tamyia Tiger kit come out, the figures all have that look ? ) so I can't say for sure what his 'personal' issues may be... he doesn't have much of a sense of Ha Ha at all.....

:unsure:

Amazing scratch building Vaughn. Such an inspiration for us mere mortals!

Kev

Thanks Kev, glad to inspire, you guys here on LSP have inspired me..glad to return the favor.

Cheers

Vaughn

:wow:

Vaughn, you scratch building skills are awesome!

Barry

Thanks Barry..it's more like dumb luck..no one told me I couldn't do something so I just improvise. Somehow things just keep turning out ok but you wouldn't believe the time I spend thinking about things and how often parts get tossed in the bin as I start over.... :BANGHEAD2:

Cheers

Vaughn

I don't know how in the world I missed this thread. Vaughn you are da bomb!

Sincerely,

Mark

Hey Mark, glad to see you ! "bomb" ?.... :unsure: ...um, I didn't think I'd gained THAT much weight ! :D

Vaughn

Been a busy few days, time flies when you are having fun....or so they tell me. :unsure: I'm slogging through the scribing and finish work (did I mention I hate :BANGHEAD2: finish work ?) so the build is on going. Here is the next bit, getting closer to where I burned out on the model back in late 2006.

With the main gear finished I turned to the nose gear. The ref drawings and pics from the comic indicated the nose strut to be very long, why I have no idea but that is the way it was drawn in the comic

wolfAndYuki-1.jpg

so.... I had to figure out how the gear retracted. I had the gear doors to go by but there was no normal way the strut could retract as placed. After scratching my brain for a while I settled on a traveling trunnion. The top of the strut had to be on a mount that could travel in guides forward into the fuselage as the strut was retracted. It would work off a worm gear pulling the mount forward as the retraction strut drew the gear up into the bay....complicated ? YUP !!

So I built a trunnion and mount flanges.

spacewolf038-1.jpg

Guides were built into the top sides of the nose bay, a mount cut to fit and drilled for the worm gear...in this case a large dia. guitar string. Everything was fitted and looked pretty good.

spacewolf037.jpg

spacewolf033.jpg

The nose strut was made of from various sizes of rod. A hole was drilled and an axle inserted. The 1/24th FW-190 main wheel is for size.

spacewolf052.jpg

The sissors link was built up from scrap plastic.

spacewolf053.jpg

Landing lights were scrounged from an old car kit. The retraction strut mount point was found in the scrap box.

spacewolf058.jpg

The pivot point and steering motor were built from more scrap.

spacewolf059-1.jpg

Edited by spacewolf