Spacewolf

spacewolf

Wow, this is really motoring along mate! Are you building this in real time, or is this the replay? Either way, it's fantastic stuff to watch, and I can't wait to see it with some paint on.

Kev

Wow, this is really motoring along mate! Are you building this in real time, or is this the replay? Either way, it's fantastic stuff to watch, and I can't wait to see it with some paint on.

Kev

Hey Kev, as I mentioned in the first post, this was started back in 2004. I burned out on it and it was on the 'Shelf of Doom' for several years. I just picked it up again about a month ago and it's close to being finished. I'd documented it in pics so I'm gradually getting the pics of disc, resized and up on Photobucket.

Cheers

Vaughn

With more pics off the disc, resized and uploaded to photo bucket here we go with another update. This one gets a bit long and technical as we play with lights, wires and battery power ! :evil_laugh:

After doing up the cockpit I needed to add the top part of the dashboard and the center console. More vacu formed louvers (for what purpose I have no idea but they look cool) and the center rased section was built up.

spacewolf094.jpg

Details and a screen were added.

spacewolf097.jpg

I wanted to light the model but had never done anything like this before so I went and talked with a friend who helped me figure out what was needed. I didn't want the model to be a 'plug in' type so I had to figure out how and where to place the battery. I found some neat squeeze type LED flashlights at the Dollar store.

spacewolf099.jpg

They were just what was needed. The long tangs would work out very handy.

spacewolf102.jpg

I tested one out with the rear nozzle just to make sure there would be enough of a glow. With a blue tinted gell it looks like just what I wanted.

spacewolf101.jpg

I needed light boxes to help keep light from going where I didn't want it to go so I pawed though my parts box and found the perfect thing, a couple of chrome saddle tanks from a truck. Cut in half they worked out just right. I cut discs from old cassette tapes and sanded the plastic to 'frost' the clear.

spacewolf170.jpg

Washers cut from sheet to make a flange were glued to the front edge. A disc was cut to fit inside the tank and small holes were drilled in it to let the tangs of the LED through. A hole was drilled in the rear of the tank to allow the tangs out and wires were soldered to them. The frosted clear disc was painted with Tamyia clear blue and placed over the front of the tank where it butted up flat to the cone assembly.

spacewolf172.jpg

The assembly was glued into a cutout in the keel at the front of the nose.

spacewolf176.jpg

Edited by spacewolf

The same thing was done for the rear cone. For the Cockpit I drilled holes for fiber optic strands. I found an old lamp at a yard sale that gave me enough to last for many, many models ! I melted and shaped the tips of the fibers by holding them close to a candle flame. this gives a bit more diffused light and makes the tip look more like a bulb. the mushroomed tips were painted various colors with Tamyia clear paint and the fibers slid into holes drilled into the panel. The fibers were pulled into a bundle that went under the floor of the cockpit.

spacewolf160.jpg

Once everything was as good as I could get it I fitted everything in place and test ran it. It WORKED !! :party0023:

spacewolf184.jpg

While I had been working on the lights, for stress relief I'd made the master and vacuformed the bottom of the hull. Strips were glued on the keel to help support the edges.

spacewolf069-1.jpg

With the lights and cockpit installed the canard and the lower hull were glued on. Electrical tape came in handy !

spacewolf192.jpg

Edited by spacewolf