Trumpeter 1/32 RNZAF A-4K "Kahu Upgrade"

Hi guys

Now I know some of you will be surprised to see this build thread again! I have been going through my Shelf of Doom since the new year in a quest to try and complete some of these projects.

This A-4K model is very dear to my heart and I REALLY want to get her finished.

For those of you who partnered up with me to get a Kahu Cockpit conversion done I am now putting the squeeze on to get this finished off. Bare with me some more, I want this as much as you guys...more so now!

Anyway, in the meantime I found out that the ammo cans in the RNZAF Skyhawks were different to the usual ones. Apparently the RNZAF modded the cannon feed etc as a common issue with the Mk12 Colt was jamming. I suspect this is why they also now carry only 75 rounds instead of 100 (I think I got this right). Since I have already installed the port wheel well and cannon bay resin insert I struggled to modify them without making an utter mess of what I had already done. I have decided to close up the port 'Hell hole' bay and only open the stbd one. Which is quite good as now I can make the ammo cans and fit them into the Aires set before gluing into the wing. The good thing about opening the stbd door is that if ever there was a door open under here it was this one, thats because the ground air starter access was located here.

I will get pics up in the next day or so. But I detailed up the Mk12 Colt cannon from Aires, sprayed it and added some tiny yellow stenciling over the past few days. I glued it in last night and have scratchbuilt a new door. I just need to add fastener detail to it and I will take some pics before I glue it all on. But I am really pleased at how it has all come out.

Anyway, the Skyhawk is far from dead now and I plan on a big push on her!

Cheers guys

Anthony

Ok crappy pic time again.....I should have photographed the cannon before I fitted it. I just could not get a half decent pic showing all the added extra detail and yellow stencilling etc I added. Anyway here it is mounted into the wing. Once the cover is fitted you will only see a little bit of it, but I think the extra details really made a difference anyway.

DSC_0103_zpsh6gfbtow.jpg

Here is the new door in progress.

Inside

DSC_0106_zpszbpdobev.jpg

Outside

DSC_0108_zpsybjihecl.jpg

Been down at the hangar all night tonight so I didn't get anymore done on that door....

Cheers

Anthony

Great work mate.

I noticed the small square hole on the inner edge of the doors next to the ejection chute as well on my build but it was too late to fix. I depicted them with appropriately sized black decals.

I see your work on the access holes for the bolts that hold the fuselage together and wish I had done the same on mine.

Eric.

Thanks Eric, much appreciated mate.  I know what you mean, it is always after the fact that you realise something and it is too late.  I built a 48th Tamiya Corsair and converted it to a late production FG-1D in RNZAF J Force service.  After it was done I realised the outer flaps should have been metal skinned as well as an extra panel under the wings when the RP mounts were fitted..... :doh: Every time I look at the model now I look at the outer flaps...lol.

Alan, thanks for that, this Trump kit really is quite good, it has a couple of failings but nothing too serious. Looking forward to seeing yours on the bench again!

Funnily enough it was seeing both your guys builds that made me reach for the shelf of doom and get some more done!

Cheers guys

Anthony

Guest Peterpools

Anthony

Great to see the A-4K back on the bench. I made the same News Year resolution to finish all the projects on the bench, which included my RAAF Meteor, which is back underway again

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Anthony, but it wouod be way too depressing. I'm happy just to finish up two projects that have been on hold way too long.

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Well a small update, I just thought I should let you all know that I will be back on this on the weekend.

Work stalled for the last week or 2 as I gashed my hand open down at the Hangar working on the Auster. It was pretty painful and I probably should have gone to hospital to get a couple of stitches, but I got Belynda to put a couple of butterfly ones on and a bandage, it is healing up well.

In the meantime I decided to open the LOX compartment in the rear fuse. I brought the Aires set for the A-7 avionics bays as the LOX set up is identical to the A-4's one (cut hand dosent stop me buying stuff online...lol), when it arrives I will make sure it will work and cut the panel open.

205920A-7D20Corsair20II20eletronic20Bay_

Also brought the Eduard weapons pylons etch to add to Erics lovely pylons he made for his A-4G. 

A-4E001_zpsbgppxp8x.jpg

So I am all ready to go this weekend.  Cant wait to cut some plastic and finish off these cannon bay doors.

Cheers

Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ

• 1 month later...

Ok, I have been spending a lot of time working on the Auster rebuild and here is where I am at in the cockpit.

DSC_0104%201_zpsqcw7ozzz.jpg

However my wife had me in the garden on Sunday digging a tree stump out and I thought I was 18 again and pulled my back out trying to remove it!!! So I had the day off work yesterday at the model table resting up. I thought it might be bad form to be out bashing on the plane when I was supposed to be resting...LOL

I decided to work on the LOX compartment and so using my photo refs I built the interior bay and added all the interior ribs and details etc. I also cut the LOX bottle out of the Aires set and trimmed and shaped it to match pics. There was a lot of extra plumbing on this that didn't match my photos so I removed a lot to match (I forgot to take a pic, but will do later)

Anyway here is the compartment ready to prime before adding Archer rivets inside.

DSC_0127_zpsbdwp7zed.jpg

DSC_0129_zps3ftptbxx.jpg

DSC_0126_zpsfhy9mauv.jpg

Anyway that's all for now, I hope you like it.

As always thanks for looking in as always

Cheers

Anthony

Hi Mate, I am not sure if I will fill the countermeasures boxes or just use the blanking plates.

The fuselage halves aren't glued yet, I am just dry fitting everything. There is a lot to do before I can close her up still.

Cheers

Anthony