Foiled Has Royal Australian Air Force P-40E

Out2gtcha

I must say I've been looking forward to seeing the results of the salt technique (never seen it before :blush: ) and ... I'm stunned! It looks amazing.

I like your heavy weathering too. It has some charm. The seat looks simply real. Great work, Brian!!!

I'm sure there is more in store in this build thread :beer:

Automaton says it all !! Actually it doesn't get any better than this Brian , Beautiful work mate , you da man!!

I'm really enjoying this keep going PLEASE!!!! :clap2:

Sean

Thanks a heap for the nice word guys! It mucho appreciated. The interior is really just a representation of a lot of the P-40 interiors ive seen including some resos. Everything is there to represent a good look to the eye as apposed to what may be accurate.

Cheers,

Brian

Just stumbled across this thread. I must say I enjoyed your P51 thread and this has all the signs as being just as interesting, moreover as the P40 isnt anywhere near a commonly built as the P51, it is an unusual subject to say the least. In addition I think its fair to say bare metal ones are hardly ever executed.

Keep up the good work. Foiling is something well beyond me.

Just stumbled across this thread. I must say I enjoyed your P51 thread and this has all the signs as being just as interesting, moreover as the P40 isnt anywhere near a commonly built as the P51, it is an unusual subject to say the least. In addition I think its fair to say bare metal ones are hardly ever executed.

Keep up the good work. Foiling is something well beyond me.

Thanks Phartycr0

I have a thing for unusual subjects, floatplanes and axis in allied schemes and vice versa.....Myself, I cant wait to get to the foiling stage.

Cheers,

Brian

The salt technique has really turned out well especially on the seat which looks the dog's nuts!

Nice to see the dust in the crevices in the cockpit too, looks just right.

Top notch old boy!

P :speak_cool:

The salt technique has really turned out well especially on the seat which looks the dog's nuts!

Nice to see the dust in the crevices in the cockpit too, looks just right.

Top notch old boy!

P :speak_cool:

Thanks man!

Actually quite a high complement considering the quality of some of your stuff............

Brian

Edited by Out2gtcha

I just got done stretching some square sprue for some IP switches, and putting a wash on the IP and the finished top part of the Radu Sutton harness.

After the wash on the IP dries, Ill paint the stretched sprue switches, install the Sutton harness lap belts and take some pics to night or tomorrow.

Cheers for lookin in on me....

Brian

Got Radus belts in............but sadly im an Idiot. I dunked the damn things in the same wash I used for the pit while flat as earlier experiments showed the paper resilient enough to take some wetness, and help the belts conform to the curves of the seat.

However.............what I failed to think about was the fact that the MicroScale Krystal clear I used to assemble it all dissolves in water. Bummer.

I got most of the belts on after all the joints I had worked so hard to get together came apart. :BANGHEAD2:

Then I ripped the main vertical belt on the seat in half as I didnt let it dry in shape long enough. :rolleyes: *SIGH*

It turned out as well as I could have ever expected considering how stupid I am.

Repaired belts on, and harness retaining pin wire made from lead wire

WIP_P40_26.jpg

Next up, I finished the IP.

Replaced the main wire on the IP with lead, added stretched sprue for a few switches, weathered it with a sand wash, and some aluminum dry brushing, added the clear acetate gun site, after spraying it with a very diluted Tamiya clear green (just for Ss and Gs) then coated the IP dials and gun site with Future. The main gun sight lens is foil:

WIP_P40_27.jpg

WIP_P40_28.jpg

WIP_P40_29.jpg

HA! I also made sure I kicked in a lot of right rudder, (and eventually forward stick/down elevator) as Im planning on having the rudder physically kicked right too.

Cheers,

Brian

Edited by Out2gtcha

Few more pics............

I know the attachment for the Sutton harness is not accurate on the back of the seat like I did it, but for this scale (and after dry fitting everything together) you really cant see a single thing after the bar.

WIP_P40_30.jpg

WIP_P40_31.jpg

WIP_P40_32.jpg

WIP_P40_33.jpg

Cheers, and thanks for lookin.

Brian

Looks great so far, great weathering and paint.

One possible fix: is your gunsight on backwards? Reflector shoots image up onto bottom of glass, so that surface needs to face pilot me'thinks eh?

Again, looking great so far~

Thanks guys! Not quite what I expected, but you DO learn something (or at least I do anyway) on seemingly every build.)

Ill be using your finger/chalk weathering technique most likely from now on Phil, although I do still like the end result. Slightly heavier on the weathering than I normally go, but liked it for this particular model....

PLUS I think Im compensating for my last project that had to be relatively spotless and polished.

One possible fix: is your gunsight on backwards? Reflector shoots image up onto bottom of glass, so that surface needs to face pilot me'thinks eh?

DAMN............didnt even notice that Chris! Thanks!

I think I can pry it off reasonably well without (I hope) damaging the sight itself nor the acetate window.

Well more tomorrow likely with a completed cockpit AND a fixed gun sight.

Cheers,

Brian

More progress......

Thanks to our own Chris S, I now have pulled the gun-sight off and turned it 180 deg so the pilot doesn't have to get out of the cockpit so see through the gun-sight. :rolleyes:

I got that straight and then there wasnt much left to do in this dirty, dusty, overly worn front office...........so I assembled it and finished the pit off:

WIP_P40_35.jpg

WIP_P40_36.jpg

WIP_P40_37.jpg

WIP_P40_40.jpg

WIP_P40_41.jpg

I also started on the fuse, as I completely forgot to start painting the interior color on the fuse sides.

However, the has instructions say to put everything together and then insert the "tail plug" after all 4 halves of both assemblies are complete. I have definitely found that is not the best way of doing things so I got started by laying out the 4 halves, and gluing the plug halves to their respective fuse halves.

WIP_P40_42.jpg

The panel lines are about as close as I could make them, and still a few are off, but nothing a bit of melted sprue filler can fix.

Few more pics soon.........

Cheers,

Brian